Edit default emergency number

This is a discussion on Edit default emergency number within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello Everyone, I've just noticed that whenever I dial 111 -GSM Service Provider Call Centre- from my nexus one gadget, it shows the call as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edit default emergency number

Question Edit default emergency number

Hello Everyone,

I've just noticed that whenever I dial 111 -GSM Service Provider Call Centre- from my nexus one gadget, it shows the call as emergency and I end up speaking to the Police instead of the GSM Customer service! The weird thing here is that the real emergency number in my country is 999 not 111. How can I fix this issue so I don't end up bothering the police department.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by fitlad View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I've just noticed that whenever I dial 111 -GSM Service Provider Call Centre- from my nexus one gadget, it shows the call as emergency and I end up speaking to the Police instead of the GSM Customer service! The weird thing here is that the real emergency number in my country is 999 not 111. How can I fix this issue so I don't end up bothering the police department.
    It maybe something to do with your original settings when you first setup your phone.

See if your 'Select Locale' (settings > Language & Keyboard) is set for 'UK' and not USA.

If not then you may have to give HTC a shout...

I thought the emergency number here was 911.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I thought the emergency number here was 911.
    It is; however in the 'UK' it's 999.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fitlad View Post
    Hello Everyone,

It maybe something to do with your original settings when you first setup your phone.

See if your 'Select Locale' (settings > Language & Keyboard) is set for 'UK' and not USA.

If not then you may have to give HTC a shout...
    Thanks alot for the respond, My N1 locale is already set for 'UK' however I'm currently located in Qatar (Middle East). The emergency contact number in Qatar is 999 similar to the UK but whenever I dial 111 my call is diverted to the police. If I remove my sim card and use it with another handset e.g. nokia, I can call Qtel customer service when I diall 111. Thus, this problem is kind of associated with Android.

Question

Long shot... what would happen if you made your 'locale' USA?

Long shot... what would happen if you made your 'locale' USA?
    I changed the locale from UK to US but the problem was not resolved. Whenever I dial 111 the call is diverted to the police! I switched my locale back to English (UK). I'll call HTC customer service centre for technical support.

It was worth a shot... let us know the outcome, it would be interesting to see what will resolve that!!

It was worth a shot... let us know the outcome, it would be interesting to see what will resolve that!!
    I contacted HTC Customer Service Centre "USA" via e-mail and I got the following respond:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail with your inquiry about your Nexus One dialing the police when you dial 111 and not your service providers customer support line. My name is A.J. and I will be happy to assist you today.
    I understand how important it is for your device to connect to the numbers your dial and I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. The Nexus One was not programmed to work with carriers in any other country other than the US. I will send this issue to the appropriate parties for review. Unfortunately, unless Google or your Service Provider requests that a change be made to the OS HTC cannot release a fix. The OS is strictly Google, HTC only designed the Hardware. I also encourage you to contact Google for OS support with this device."

Although Google is making amazing products. I don't know why they ain't expanding their business and let everyone enjoys the sweet juice.

I just wonder what the heck is Google thinking about this ---> "The Nexus One was not programmed to work with carriers in any other country other than the US"

If they didn't mean to sell the N1 widely outside the US they are really missing out a HUGE revenue figure.

Why do they mainly stick with the US market where they have always got struck by great competition and patent issues from the *****y Apple iPhone?

There are tons of people out there from Europe and Asia dying to buy the N1. This sucks big time!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads