2 tips for battery life while using navigation

This is a discussion on 2 tips for battery life while using navigation within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Google maps navigation... WOW. I knew I was going to love this application but I gotta say I am amazed by the little amount of ...

Thread: 2 tips for battery life while using navigation

Talking 2 tips for battery life while using navigation

Google maps navigation... WOW.

I knew I was going to love this application but I gotta say I am amazed by the little amount of battery this application uses compared to my old iPhone GPS applications. Driving for 45 minutes from my house to school only uses about 7% of my battery!!! (compared to my iPhone Navigon app which would drain the battery by 30-40% for the same trip)

If your having trouble with your battery level while using GM Navigation use the following settings:
    1. Use only 2g networks --- there isn't any difference compared to 3g
    2. Turn the screen off --- The display uses the most amount of battery, so turn it off. The N1 will still say the driving directions even if the screen is off.

Of course if your one of those users that doesn't care about battery life and leaves 3g, blue-tooth, WiFi, location services on all the time then don't worry about these steps.

Another trick is to go to eBay and type in "nexus one battery"... I just bought 2 extra 1400mAh batters + a charger for $20. I let you guys know the quality of the off brand batteries once I have some hands on experience.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Thanks for posting. I was wondering about battery use w/ nav.

Why not just plug the phone in while in the car? Adapters are cheap.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    Why not just plug the phone in while in the car? Adapters are cheap.

wmm
    Be sure you get a 1000 mA charger, though; I had (what I think was) a 500 mA adapter and it couldn't keep up. (I did a 45-minute drive using navigation and playing Pandora with the screen at full brightness, and the battery went down from 98% to 86% over that period. I haven't repeated the experiment with my new 1000 mA charger, but I am fairly confident it will be adequate.)

Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    Google maps navigation... WOW.

I knew I was going to love this application but I gotta say I am amazed by the little amount of battery this application uses compared to my old iPhone GPS applications. Driving for 45 minutes from my house to school only uses about 7% of my battery!!! (compared to my iPhone Navigon app which would drain the battery by 30-40% for the same trip)

If your having trouble with your battery level while using GM Navigation use the following settings:
    1. Use only 2g networks --- there isn't any difference compared to 3g
    2. Turn the screen off --- The display uses the most amount of battery, so turn it off. The N1 will still say the driving directions even if the screen is off.

Of course if your one of those users that doesn't care about battery life and leaves 3g, blue-tooth, WiFi, location services on all the time then don't worry about these steps.

Another trick is to go to eBay and type in "nexus one battery"... I just bought 2 extra 1400mAh batters + a charger for $20. I let you guys know the quality of the off brand batteries once I have some hands on experience.
    Any update on the quality of those batteries?

nice suggestions.... i have a better one google directions before you leave

p.s. i was being sarcastic...
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links