3G Performance

This is a discussion on 3G Performance within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I used the APN that the N1 pulled from my SIM: The password is wap I believe....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3G Performance

I used the APN that the N1 pulled from my SIM:

The password is wap I believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3G performance depends on distance

I had some doubts about the 3G chipset in the N1 and it's ability to get the best from local networks ( Proximus). On the Proximus 3G HSPDA network which claims 7.2 Mb/s service ( soon upgrading to 4G) I've had mixed results.

Best download 4.44 Mb/s
    Worst download 0.14 Mb/s

Best upload 1.73 Mb/s
    Worst upload 0.17 Mb/s

Oddly, many times the upload is far greater than the download ( try to get 1.73 mb/s upload from your fixed line internet!)

So of course 3G depends entirely on the distance from the transmitter and the number of users within the cell. The moral of the story is don't junk your NI's (yet) , lock into a Wifi for best performance and ease of mind about data charges.Got a local hack asking Proximus to explain, please (for you French speakers below)

Il utilise un Google phone en mode WiFi ou 3G. Il évalue la performance de vos services à l'aide d'une Google App "Speedtest.net" qui lui indique instantannément le débit montant et descendant de la connexion en cours, à l'endroit où il se trouve.
    Le débit en mode WiFi est (par exemple) de 0,5 MBPS UP et 4,8 MBPS DWN Il est très surpris de constater qu'en mode 3G, ces flux s'inversent !
    Le débit en mode 3G est (Par exemple) de 1,4 MBPS UP et 0,5 MBPS DWN (Ces débits fluctuent entre 3,6 MBPS et 1,4 MBPS) dans certains cas, les flux s'apparentent à ce que l'on vérifie en mode WiFi (UP faible et DWN élevé !) Pourriez-vous élucider ces comportements inhabituels ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links