3G Performance

This is a discussion on 3G Performance within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I must be one of the first users in Europe (Proximus) and am noticing varying degrees of 3 G performance. Next to an iPhone Google ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3G Performance

3G Performance

I must be one of the first users in Europe (Proximus) and am noticing varying degrees of 3 G performance. Next to an iPhone Google maps on Nexus 3G is definitely sluggish in the same location. I just wonder if this comment below means that the N1 needs to be adapted to each carrier's 3G network. Of course, I use WiFi to keep data costs down most of the time.

Comments appreciated

TerD

As a quad-band world phone (GSM 850/900/1800/1900), you'll be able to use the Nexus One with any GSM carrier, but its 3G bands (2100/AWS/900) are compatible only with T-Mobile's network in the United States. AT&T customers will be able to use the Nexus One, but their data speeds will top out at EDGE.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Have had the nexus for a few weeks now and outside the house i get a constant full 3G signal, both Google maps and Google earth load almost instantly and i even run Google maps with the satellite view, This is on Vodafone who apparently "have not put anything in place to currently support the nexus" so i cant wait for the full support

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    Have had the nexus for a few weeks now and outside the house i get a constant full 3G signal, both Google maps and Google earth load almost instantly and i even run Google maps with the satellite view, This is on Vodafone who apparently "have not put anything in place to currently support the nexus" so i cant wait for the full support

Vodafone rocks IMO. They seem to have the fastest mobile broadband network of any other.

Its pretty strange both my N97 & N96 had great coverage in the house but poor signal outside lol i don't need the signal in the house as it moves to wireless automatically when i range, then the nexus came along with its full G bar inside and full 3G outside haha

3G performance

Vodafone is my selected roaming provider. Indeed, these guys have invested a lot in infrastructure which is one reason they are upset with Google ( with a good 3G connection you can get a lot of free bandwidth).

Still my question goes unanswered, do providers have to fine tune. In my side by side comparison, iPhone/Nexus One I neglected to check if the phones were on diffeent networks.

TerD

Sorry i was ranting :P

To answer your question providers do not need to make any changes to the handset for it to work on their network unless they are using something out of the norm that requires configuration on their end. however some (most) providers fill their phones will pre configured settings and garbage applications that could mess with the overall performance of the phone i.e bloat-ware on PC's.

I have had this effect phones in the past that i have gotten of providers, once i factory reset and removed the crap the phones performed better.

I think that statement is explaining that in the US the higher end speeds will only be available primarily on those networks as they are the providers in control of frequencies that the nexus prefers, as more providers jump on the wagon they will start broadcasting on those frequencies, however in Europe we are already broadcasting on these frequencies and so most providers can provide for the nexus but again it depends on a series of environmental circumstances such as coverage, battery, interference and so on........BREATH lol

Thanks Nobby

I keep forgetting that we are few light years ahead of the US
    in some areas.:rofl3:

I suspect that the real issue is the capability of the ISP networks to cope with the huge extra demands of massive mobile bandwidth and the requisite infrastructure investments to keep customers happy. That's why the CEO of Vodafone was planning to gang up with AT&T to impose bandwidth tarifs on users of the Google cloud (using deep packet inspection tools). Obviously, Vodafone have put their money where the market is.

TerD

Nexus 3G Speed tests

Playing around with SpeedTest.Net a free app for the Nexus

vdsl connection Download Upload

My laptop 18 mb/s 1.8 mb/s

Nexus 6 mb/s 1.8 mb/s
    (OK, laptop is wired, Nexus is Wi Fi)

3G Proximus

Location 1 1.2 mb/s 400 kb/s
    Location 2 340 kb/s 370 kb/s

Proximus has a pretty advanced 3G network with speeds up to 7mb/s
    Though it says 3G on the NI, just wondering if it's flipping between UMTS and HSPDA. I'd be interested to see what 3G performance you get from Vodafone or other networks.

Regards

TerD

Quote Originally Posted by NexusNuckie View Post
    Vodafone rocks IMO. They seem to have the fastest mobile broadband network of any other.

:D

Excellent performance

Rusty, this eliminates one question about the ability of the first gen N1 to
    deliver top 3G speeds. Tell me, which parameters did you put in the
    Nexus one ? ( I need the same for my roaming).

My NI seems to have an average of 400kb/s up and down while indicating 3G. Like yours, this is the US version which was designed for a US (AT&T ?) network. Still there should be no reason why I shouldn't get the same performance that you have in the UK.

Appreciate any other performance indicators from UK users.

Thanks

TerD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links