Buy Nexus One now or wait for Verizon

This is a discussion on Buy Nexus One now or wait for Verizon within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by ViRii Originally Posted by ViRii This may sound stupid but what are the benefits of buying the phone outright vs buying the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy Nexus One now or wait for Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by ViRii View Post
    This may sound stupid but what are the benefits of buying the phone outright vs buying the subsidized price if I dont mind staying with T-Mobile for 2 years?
    So I understand that it saves you money to buy it outright, but that's if you're already paying $59.99 for our monthly price.. I'm already paying $79.99 which is the same price as the plan that is offered by Google/T-Mobile with the $179 price.

I understand not being restricted to one carrier, but like I said, I dont mind staying with T-Mobile. I would probably renew my contract with them once it expires anyway.

So, is there a benefit to me to buy the phone outright?
    Unfortunately, as an existing T-Mobile customer, you cannot get the $179 price with a 2 year plan. The 2 year plan is $99/mo, as I understand it. The $79 plan is the month to month plan. The $179 price for the phone is only for new customers who get the 2 year plan. If you get the no contract plan ($79), you must pay full price for the phone.

Now, some people have mentioned there is a way to get it a little cheaper ($379), but I don't know how reliable it is. Basically, you have to buy it as a new user and get the 2 year contract. If you then cancel the 2 year contract price but keep the phone, Google will charge you a $150 cancellation fee, but not T-Mobile if you cancel in less than 14 days. Then you go back and get the no contract plan. So you end up paying $379 for the phone.

But, unfortunately, as an existing customer, you are not directly able to do this. I think you have to not be a customer for something like 90 days or something, I forget. I think the contract price for the phone for existing customer is $279, but you have to get the 2 yr contract ($99/mo). Otherwise, you must pay full price for the phone to use it with your existing plan.

279+24*99 = $2655 Existing customer, subsidized phone
    179+24*99 = $2555 New customer, subsidized phone
    530+24*79 = $2426 New/Existing customer, no contract price

Of course, if you pay for the phone with your credit card, don't forget to add in the interest.

P.S. Be careful of the Bill Shrink comparison above. You can't get the subsidized phone price without a 2 year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by storndish View Post
    Do yourself a favour and dont bother. You will regret getting this phone if you do.
    Care to elaborate?

Do yourself a favour and dont bother. You will regret getting this phone if you do.
    Care to elaborate?
    The battery life is woeful.
    The Touchscreen is unresponsive.
    Google sync is a joke.
    Gmail is a joke.
    Rollerball for navigation because you cant navigate using the touchscreen says it all. Its awful.
    Anyone else have these problems or is this guy just a troll?

If you dislike Gmail, why get a google phone?

I suggest its time to solve your problem, get yourself a new phone, and move on. Your comments are no longer helpful here. I'm sorry that you weren't satisfied, but... it's just a phone.

*edit* okay, I see the same guy just going around in multiple threads posting disparaging comments. "Storndish" is just a troll, safe to ignore. Check his history, it's all just flame baiting.

I have had a few problems with this phone, including call loudness, keyboard input, and minor software glitching. But I've had that or worse on every other phone I've used as well. And I've owned/used most. Unlike some guys who save up and use only 1-2 devices (as I suspect of the above), if you actually check OTHER phone forums (N97, N900, Satio, iPhone, Omnia II, i8910, etc..) you'll see that N1 users have it great. And we really do.

There's always something new, cool, and amazing coming out. Don't make a big deal out of the technology. Buy the phone without a plan so that it's unbranded, and you can resell it later (save box and packing) at nearly full price. You can generally keep a phone 5-7 months past launch without it devaluing more than 100$, and so if you love it, then keep it. If not, it's just 100$ to upgrade to the latest and greatest, and you don't need to worry about networks or plans.

The N1 is a cool phone. But c'mon, it's a phone. If all it takes to change your life is a phone... that's saying something, ...something not-so-good. So just jump on it, or whatever, and focus on the stuff you really like. I will say one thing: Battery life on the N1 isn't that great. Do not expect to use this phone as a primary media player. It's got more than enough for some photos and GPS, a quick game or two, but basically nothing more. I keep a ZuneHD on me for the rest.

I was thinking of getting an iPod instead of the N1 as I currently have the G1.. but had given some thought to making the N1 my primary media player...

Now I'm torn between getting the iPod Touch for music and keeping my G1.. or getting the N1 and a car charger and just always keeping it on the charge.

Do you think that, used as primarily as an audio listening device (Music and Podcasts), the N1 will last (battery wise) or should I just keep the G1 and shell out the cash to get an iPod (or wait, and get an iPad?)

Care to elaborate?
    The battery life is woeful.
    The Touchscreen is unresponsive.
    Google sync is a joke.
    Gmail is a joke.
    Rollerball for navigation because you cant navigate using the touchscreen says it all. Its awful.
    Anyone else have these problems or is this guy just a troll?

If you dislike Gmail, why get a google phone?
    -Battery life is not woeful. It depends what you are using it for. For *&^% sakes just use a charger every once and awhile.

-I haven't had a problem with the touchscreen yet

-My google is in sync just fine

-i like Gmail....i am okay with yahoo.....it is a free email service what do you want?

this guy is obviously a turd

I was thinking of getting an iPod instead of the N1 as I currently have the G1.. but had given some thought to making the N1 my primary media player...

Now I'm torn between getting the iPod Touch for music and keeping my G1.. or getting the N1 and a car charger and just always keeping it on the charge.

Do you think that, used as primarily as an audio listening device (Music and Podcasts), the N1 will last (battery wise) or should I just keep the G1 and shell out the cash to get an iPod (or wait, and get an iPad?)
    Okay, first on the iPad: I'm not going to insult it, I'm just going to say this - it's not something to replace an mp3 player or phone. It's not even as good for movies on the go, since it will have limited steaming media playback due to lack of Flash. There are things it could be useful for, but it doesn't apply to what you would use a smartphone for. This is what Apple intends; they want people to own BOTH phone+pad, so don't expect it to satisfy your smartphone needs.

Please do yourself a favor and if you are really thinking about getting an iPhone/iPod, wait until the new ones this year are announced. It'd just be ridiculous to get one now and the *very end* of its status as the cool gadget.

Like I said before, there is a LOT of new technology/specs being displayed this year. Everything is getting WVGA screens, 512+ MB RAM, and 1GHz+ CPUs. Samsung has their new screens, and battery life is always getting better. If there isn't a device you really want right now, then either get the N1 (so you can easily sell to upgrade later), or just hold out and wait. If you are really dying for an iPhone/iPod, then do it, you'll probably really like it. But don't get something on a mild whim that will become obsolete in a few months; that's the option you'll most regret.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links