Hotspot Security

This is a discussion on Hotspot Security within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I use my N1 with a Prepaid SIM and WiFi. I was surprised to get a new email notification waiting in the Doctors office. An ...

Thread: Hotspot Security

Hotspot Security

I use my N1 with a Prepaid SIM and WiFi. I was surprised to get a new email notification waiting in the Doctors office. An open hotspot in the area and the N1 signed in and sync'ed my Gmail. I'm wondering what are the security issues with an open Hotspots? I assume Gmail is SSL by default, just like on my laptop. But what about everything else? All those Apps I've installed. Am I vulnerable? Are cell communications generally encrypted?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

cxm
    I've never seen this - whenever I am in range of an open hotspot I get a notification telling me it is available and then I tell it to connect..

mah
    Cell communications have some level of encryption on them, but by your account you did not receive your sync over cell, you received it over an open wifi. In this case, even using SSL might not keep you secure, since a "man in the middle" attack could be used to determine SSL's encryption details at the time the connection is established.

The likelihood of this is rather small, and I would imagine anyone with legitimate concerns about that won't be using gmail to communicate.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links