Decided to root, advice please!

This is a discussion on Decided to root, advice please! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; OK, cyanogen's 5 ROM looks too tasty, so I think I'm gunna have to root now I'm not a totaly computer noob, but I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided to root, advice please!

Decided to root, advice please!

OK, cyanogen's 5 ROM looks too tasty, so I think I'm gunna have to root now

I'm not a totaly computer noob, but I am new to Android, and thus a little scared about the transition.

So, can you point me to a simple clear and detailed explanation of exactly how to install a custom ROM?

I've been googling for a few hours, but all the how to's I've found are quite technical and I'm really looking for something very clear and detailed.

I'm worried about things like not having the right radio version [which I read can be a serious problem] and losing my info as I'm not sure exactly how, when or where to back up.

Any links would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I will be keeping an eye on this thread, because I too am being eaten up by the temptation of rooting. I watched this video and as I'm not that tech savvvy half the stuff went waaay over my head. Hope it can help you a bit. But would love it if One of you knew how to do a 'rooting for beginners guide'

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ERMT91w84]YouTube - Hack Google's Nexus One: From Stock to Desire[/ame]

This is the guide I used. It's VERY detailed and perfect for a first timer.

Video: How to unlock and root a Nexus One – Android and Me

It has a step by step video along with the links to everything you need. Read the guide and watch the video once before doing anything so you have a little better idea about what's going on and what to expect.

Spend some time at the XDA Developers forums. Those guys really know the ins and outs of Android.

It's much easier than it seems. Feel free to ask any question you want.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by libnkotaco View Post
    ^^
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-one-roms-hacks/7366-how-install-custom-roms-your-nexus-one.html]How to install custom ROMs on your Nexus One - Android Central Forums[/url]

I also found this one, and its the best I've come across (as the bishop said to the actress).

I still have a couple of questions About the process though. I guess a lot of this depends on on stuff, so lets presume I'm installing cyangens 5.0.4 ROM...

What will happen to my program data? Gone right? For example my notes, app settings, photos.... what is the best process to retain this kind of data?

What will happen to my apps? They stay in the app store, right?

I read something about needing a Google apps pack... does this just mean that the ROM doesn't include some Google apps?

The instructions say that nandroid creates a back up of the current ROM which can be restored, but also I read that installing a new ROM wipes the SD card... how does that work?

Thanks very much!

Argh! I'm very very very tempted to root my Nexus!

I mainly want the trackball colors, and a few other rooting privileges. MULTIPLE times, I've gotten close to rooting it.... But i still have some reservations on if i should or not.

I have LOTS of apps, so I'd have to look into a backup program or something. Hmm...
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Quote Originally Posted by gregornz View Post
    What will happen to my program data? Gone right? For example my notes, app settings, photos.... what is the best process to retain this kind of data?
    Anything on your SD card should stay. App settings/data will be gone when you wipe. I don't know of a backup program that can retain all of that info. There may be one, but I don't know of it.

What will happen to my apps? They stay in the app store, right?
    They will all have to be re-downloaded and re-installed, unless you find that back-up program.

I read something about needing a Google apps pack... does this just mean that the ROM doesn't include some Google apps?
    Correct, Cyanogen ROMs don't include the Google apps but he always posts them and you can just flash them right after you flash the ROM. Just one more simple step, not a headache.

The instructions say that nandroid creates a back up of the current ROM which can be restored, but also I read that installing a new ROM wipes the SD card... how does that work?
    When you do the wipe, it doesn't affect your SD card. The nandroid will be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMonster View Post
    Argh! I'm very very very tempted to root my Nexus!

I mainly want the trackball colors, and a few other rooting privileges. MULTIPLE times, I've gotten close to rooting it.... But i still have some reservations on if i should or not.

I have LOTS of apps, so I'd have to look into a backup program or something. Hmm...
    You can root and use a lot of mods without flashing a new ROM and losing your apps or data.

how r the roms for n1? for the droid it has plenty of stable roms. is there even a need to overclock for n1? just bumping so wheni get my n1 i know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    how r the roms for n1? for the droid it has plenty of stable roms. is there even a need to overclock for n1? just bumping so wheni get my n1 i know what to do.
    I use enomther's TheOfficial. Works great. Fast and very stable. Great set of extras built in.

I don't overclock. My N1 is plenty fast and I don't know the long-term effects on the hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links