Foreign travel settings to prevent data roaming?

This is a discussion on Foreign travel settings to prevent data roaming? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; One of the joys of Nexus One ownership is the Unlocked foreign travel. Buy a local sim, drop it in, and away you go. screw ...

Thread: Foreign travel settings to prevent data roaming?

Foreign travel settings to prevent data roaming?

One of the joys of Nexus One ownership is the Unlocked foreign travel. Buy a local sim, drop it in, and away you go. screw the US carriers and their gouging international roam prices. and screw Apple for not allowing this to their users.

But... there seems a somewhat buried series of commands to find to get the phone set up to:
    ALLOW phone calls on local carrier
    BLOCK data/applications/sync on local carrier
    ALLOW apps/data/syns on Wi-Fi.

in other words, you may want to make and receive calls when abroad, but not use expensive pay-as-you-go data to check email/surf/sync - eg have apps randomly decide to synch themselves on roaming $$ when you didnt ask.. Most of us are happy to wait for a Wi-Fi spot before we hit that up.

I think I got it worked out in the settings, but there is a warning dialog that 'some applications may still access data' even when you deselect... any ideas?

maybe Google should look on making this easy to achieve in Android, as it's a very common wish when traveling - probably the vast majority of us would use a "Phone calls and Wi-Fi only" setting

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Data roaming on the N1 is disabled by default

If you ever feel the need to empty your wallet in a foreign country, check out the mobile network settings for a tick box.

yes indeed 'data roaming' is disabled on the N1 by default.

the thing is you are not actually 'roaming' when you have put in that new SIM card you bought in (eg) a Vodafone store in Spain/New Zealand/Turkey - you are on the 'pay as you go' SIM only plan. which does save you a bundle on calls compared to international roaming, but will be quickly sucked dry if Accounts and Sync> Background Data is left checked: "Applications can sync, send and receive data at any time" and your gmail or the weather is constantly being checked through the Phone Plan,

you have to find and disable that
    AND turn off location and security>use wireless networks
    AND Privacy>Use my Location for Google Search Results

did I miss something? I'm still not sure if Weather Widget isnt checking itself in on data or not, but.. thats the best I can see

I am traveling right now. I can report that having a Nexus One with no data plan is not very satisfying. And I need my google maps and translate more now than when I'm in the states.

And free WiFi is almost unheard of in Asia.

Someone really needs to fix this. Even if I was willing to pay for a months worth of data, it's very difficult to buy a SIM card with data.

And I can't even buy an official Google battery since I'm in Japan.

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

yup. agree, but blame the carriers and telco's not Google.
    they are greedy corporations and no government stands up to them. data is a rip off on such local SIMs. Our best hope is in the EU where they are starting to force them to lower their prices by European wide decree.

I am travelling too, in Europe, and right have downloaded my Maps car route for tomorrow on wifi, and keep it in memory. Though believe me if I could use navigation I would.

I am somewhat heartened by Google's announcement that they will be offering ultra high speed optical broadband in some USA test markets soon. seems like a warning shot to the regular internet suppliers - shape up, keep it un-metered and affordable, OR... we will step in, and take your business away.

I just want to thank you guys for posting some of this information. I'm traveling to Ireland in June, and the wife and I wull be carrying Android phones (my Nexus, her MyTouch) and I plan to use local SIMs for the occasional call, and available wi-fi for data.

If you want to see some horror stories about data charges, visit the T-Mobile Customer Support Forums and hit the International section. One of the issues mentioned in there is Android apps attempting to turn data services on, and the use of local cell towers for GPS fixing by the phone.

But a lot of people seemed to get burned by the data roaming charges, even though most of them claimed to know that T-Mos international data roaming runs about $15 per *megabyte*. That's maybe three average sized images, or a web page or two.

I just wanted to make sure there are no gotchas on turning data roaming off on the Nexus. I want no surprises.

surely if you take your original sim out you cant be charged for anything,i'm going to turkey next month and as the same as always i take my sim out and just use wifi in a local pub and make calls via skype on my laptop and ive never been charged for data when sim is in my wallet

all I know roaming phones need to be activated first or register to work. yeah its definitely N1 by default but depends on the country.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links