dialing numbers link to contacts

This is a discussion on dialing numbers link to contacts within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; is there a way that when using the phone, you can use the numbers to bring up contacts alphabetically like there is on blackberry phones? ...

Thread: dialing numbers link to contacts

dialing numbers link to contacts

is there a way that when using the phone, you can use the numbers to bring up contacts alphabetically like there is on blackberry phones? for example, dialing 6 would bring up all the contacts that begin with M. i find that very convenient and am surprised that android doesnt have this feature

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The interface and software of the Nexus, doesn't allow for that option.

thanks, just curious, but do you know why it doesnt allow it or what's preventing it? it seems like it would be simple enough to employ especially since blackberry had it, and they dont seem to be the most technologically advanced.

also, are there any apps that would allow this feature?

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deel View Post
    thanks, just curious, but do you know why it doesnt allow it or what's preventing it? it seems like it would be simple enough to employ especially since blackberry had it, and they dont seem to be the most technologically advanced.

Voice is an advance over having to press a number, I think, which strikes me as workaround to navigate a large number of contacts.

Agreed!! that is the way to go in the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post

Voice is an advance over having to press a number, I think, which strikes me as workaround to navigate a large number of contacts.

Until thought recognition comes into vogue.

If I understood the question correctly, there is a way to do that.

If you hold the menu button on the home screen, it brings up the keyboard. And you can begin typing the name of the contact you're looking for and it searches for that contact. You can then select it.

For this to work, you need to make sure that contacts are searchable under Settings > Search > Searchable items

Hope that helps!

is there a way that when using the phone, you can use the numbers to bring up contacts alphabetically like there is on blackberry phones? for example, dialing 6 would bring up all the contacts that begin with M. i find that very convenient and am surprised that android doesnt have this feature
    Are you referring to this?

Superdial (Free)

I have been using this. Not slow & didn't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post

but have you seen how long it takes for your voice to convert? it's faster to scroll through. if google would speed that up and make it more usable, then it is a good alternative

Quote Originally Posted by nexuslexus View Post
    If I understood the question correctly, there is a way to do that.

If you hold the menu button on the home screen, it brings up the keyboard. And you can begin typing the name of the contact you're looking for and it searches for that contact. You can then select it.

For this to work, you need to make sure that contacts are searchable under Settings > Search > Searchable items

Hope that helps!

yes! this helps, this was more of what i was referring too. also, the new gesture search is awesome too and what i was hoping for. now if only it would be integrated into 2.1 or the next version so a separate app is not needed

Quote Originally Posted by onenexus View Post
    Are you referring to this?

Superdial (Free)

I have been using this. Not slow & didn't crash.

and yes, superdial looks good, but the app page says that it's not being supported. i already have a bunch of apps, debating on whether to add this, especially since the other 2 apps/methods mentioned above kinda do the job i was looking for

also, does it only use t9? or does it support a full keyboard? like do i have to type 2 for A, or can i access the keyboard and type A and all the A contacts come up?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links