Impartial Opinion: iPhone -> Nexus One?

This is a discussion on Impartial Opinion: iPhone -> Nexus One? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm basically researching 3 things: 1) applications quality and quantity 2) phone handling 3) phone interface 4) phone/pc integration....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impartial Opinion: iPhone -> Nexus One?

I'm basically researching 3 things:

1) applications quality and quantity
    2) phone handling
    3) phone interface
    4) phone/pc integration.

I have an N1. I never had an iPhone, nor an iPod, nor an Apple PC. The difference for me is Open vs Closed Proprietary, Non-compete. I'm probably a bit older than most here. I watched Apple from birth. They may have good, creative ideas but, to me, they go way overboard on the legal side. The original Apple PC had a few clone competitors (Franklin, Orange, etc). Every time someone tied to compete, Apple would haul them to court. We're lucky that IBM came along with the IBM PC standard. Otherwise we'd still have a slew of incompatible personal computers today (Atari, Commodore, TRS-80, Amiga, TI 99/4, and so on).

I had an HP iPaq PDA and I install a simple little MP3 player. that had a virtual "wheel" which functioned like the original iPod wheel. Apple sent the developer a cease and desist letter. It seemed like a harmles $5 app, but Apple wants no competition.

Apple has always been controlling. The iPhone will never have a direct competitor and the App store will never have apps that Apple doesn't directly approve. Now it looks like Apple is ready go after HTC and Google. I'm hoping this time they've met their match.

I'll never own an Apple product simply because their attitude is our way or the highway. Silly? Maybe. Again, I think they're creative and they make good products. But I think we'd all be better off if we stood up for free market competition.

I don't have an iPhone either, but I use iTunes a lot and my iPod syncs with that program effortlessly. I'm sure the same thing can be said for the iPhone; and that is something that I believe is lacking in the N1 department.

Yes, there is DoubleTwist, but it's really lacking in terms of user functionality, and is not even close to replicating the type of relationship between an iPhone/iPod and iTunes.

But the best thing that I love most about the N1 over the iPhone is multitasking. I believe it can also be done on an iPhone, but you need to jailbreak it, etc. and I don't know how I feel about doing those types of operations, not to mention the lack of future updates if I did. Solely being able to listen to music while surfing the web on the iPhone is far from the capabilities you get with the N1/Android.

Another thing I care a lot about when purchasing a phone are aesthetics, and I hate to say this but I like the look of the symmetric iPhone more so than the N1. The N1 doesn't look bad, but the two logos on the back and the 2-tone colors don't really appeal to me. On the other hand, I like the trackball notifications; I believe the iPhone doesn't have any type of visual notification system at all (I may be wrong) so you're constantly checking your phone.

Hope that helps.

I've played with my friends Iphone and honestly don't see a whole lot difference. I like the look of the N1 better but, that's just me.
    I have never owned a Iphone but, had always thought about getting one. When my friend told me about the N1, I was impressed and, wanted to get something different. I haven't had any problems at all with it, none of the 3g problems that others talked about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links