Does GPS drain when not being used?

This is a discussion on Does GPS drain when not being used? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey all, I'm just wondering if having the GPS enabled will drain the battery if I am not using it with any application? I just ...

Thread: Does GPS drain when not being used?

Does GPS drain when not being used?

Hey all,

I'm just wondering if having the GPS enabled will drain the battery if I am not using it with any application? I just downloaded Mobile Defense and in order for it to work, I believe GPS needs to be active. Thank you!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by speak View Post
    Hey all,

I'm just wondering if having the GPS enabled will drain the battery if I am not using it with any application? I just downloaded Mobile Defense and in order for it to work, I believe GPS needs to be active. Thank you!
    As long as an application is using GPS, battery consumption is being used.

So if MD needs GPS to work... then yes, you will see a battery drain.

YXB
    I usually keep wireless, bluetooth, gps off, plus the screen resolution very low when at home or at the office. The rest of the time gps, and screen are full on when I go to public areas. And even when GPS is on, it's not always active, it only active once the application is activated. In other words, when you sent the mobile defense message to look for your phone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How do I adjust the screen resolution? Any other power saving tips? I had Lightning Bug alarm on, with half power left over night and the phone was dead when I woke up in the morning....

I also see people with battery monitoring apps and I'm wondering what the point of this is, seeing as there already is a battery display?

(I do currently use ATK)

You can't adjust the resolution.

nsm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    You can't adjust the resolution.
    Its the screen brightness being referred to - and you will find it under settings -> sounds and display -> brightness

Ah right, or using the right most icon on the Power Control widget.

Exclamation forwarding msgs

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a way to insert a contact from your contacts folder without having to enter the whole number. I know with my previous phone all I had to do is click on forward and it would give me the option of entering the number or choosing a contact from my contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by victhebrick View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a way to insert a contact from your contacts folder without having to enter the whole number. I know with my previous phone all I had to do is click on forward and it would give me the option of entering the number or choosing a contact from my contacts.
    If I understand you correctly, as long as your contacts have 'mobile' as their primary number; then when you click on forward etc. entering the name of your contact should work.

Hey bishop thanks a lot, its working great :-)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links