My N1 Desktop Description...

This is a discussion on My N1 Desktop Description... within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; here is a question what do you guys think about the gde replacement home screen app i got it when i had my g1 so ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: My N1 Desktop Description...

  1. #11
    Android Lurker ItmustBtheshoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    here is a question what do you guys think about the gde replacement home screen app i got it when i had my g1 so i still have it for my nexus but just wondering what everyone thinks about that app

  2. #12
    Senior Member Fuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    617
    I haven't used it so couldn't tell you... might be worth asking in the App thread.

    My thoughts on it: Home++ does what I need, does it well, and does it for free. If you have already invested the money in GDE, it's worth seeing how it runs on your N1 though.
    Rooted Nexus One

  3. #13
    Senior Member eZdoesit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    146
    just installed the home++ and its pretty awesome. but it seems to FC often. Nothing ever happens though, I click FC and it just takes me back to home++ home screen.

    What I liked the most about your write up; were the apps and widgets you have. I went through pretty much all the ones you have and gave them a shot. I absolutely love the more icons widget, pure calander widget w/android agenda below it, as well as the mini info widget.

    so again thanks for sharing your set up.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Fuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    617
    I'll probably be updating this in the next week or so. A few things have changed, the largest thing being that I now use Helix instead of Home++. This means I now have Live Wallpapers back, and it doesn't FC nearly as much. I do miss the Home++ bottom bar, Notification hide option, and it's task killer though.
    Rooted Nexus One

  5. #15
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    I'll probably be updating this in the next week or so. A few things have changed, the largest thing being that I now use Helix instead of Home++. This means I now have Live Wallpapers back, and it doesn't FC nearly as much. I do miss the Home++ bottom bar, Notification hide option, and it's task killer though.
    Interestingly, normal Launcher used to FC on me a lot...Helix? So far, not once!

  6. #16
    Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    10 times
    Do you have to be rooted for this app to work? There's a Helix 2 for N1 but it doesn't do anything.

    *edit* nevermind I figured out what I was doing. Decided to try Helix 2. It's a bit laggy, but it's a new beta, so I will see how it works out before I decide to go back to using Panda Home Hero. So far I like it.
    Androidfied.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Fuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    617
    I loaded helix first and got all my screens just right - then tried helix2 and noticed absolutley no differeneces so kept the original.

    Alpha, I've only had one FC with helix, but it bounced right back as expected.
    Rooted Nexus One

  8. #18
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    I loaded helix first and got all my screens just right - then tried helix2 and noticed absolutley no differeneces so kept the original.

    Alpha, I've only had one FC with helix, but it bounced right back as expected.
    I've been 'training' myself to selectively kill apps with taskiller, but forget or accidently touch the TK widget, killing everything....old launcher seemed to bounce back, but would FC several touches into whatever app I wanted to run. When this happens to Helix, it pops back like you say, with no force closes, and interestingly, the red Helix symbol takes a while to load back into memory. I don't know how it could be so quick to recover, yet not be listed as a running app! It's very stable for me, though!

  9. #19
    Junior Member Teknologic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    19
    Very detailed write up, extremely handy for a beginning android/nexus user like me. Seeing as you switched from Home++ to Helix, I take it helix is more responsive and reliable? I like to put functionality before form, but it's always nice to have both!
    Also what are your opinions on using ES File Explorer over Astro? I ask because I had just switched from ES to Astrid when I read this and I havn't even considered going back (or maybe just for the easy wlan file sharing).

    Again, kudos on the detailed review of your homescreens, I was urged to simply copy it all because it just looks so neat :D

    EDIT: Oh, also, if you like your battery indicated in your notification bar, try BatteryTime Lite. I've had it since the first day I got my nexus and it's tiny, accurate and all I need

  10. #20
    Senior Member Fuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Teknologic View Post
    Seeing as you switched from Home++ to Helix, I take it helix is more responsive and reliable?
    I've only had it a few days, but so far yes. Home++ was crashing on me fairly often. It wasn't too big of a deal because it just reloads, but it's still nice not to have that anymore. Helix has crashed on me once - and I can not remember what I was doing, but as I've mentioned, it bounces back well enough that I've removed Home++.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teknologic View Post
    Also what are your opinions on using ES File Explorer over Astro? I ask because I had just switched from ES to Astrid when
    I read this and I havn't even considered going back (or maybe just for the easy wlan file sharing).
    First, I'm assuming you meant Astro there...I still have Astro on it for it's app loader, but otherwise I don't use it. I haven't really used the LAN/FTP part of ES because I've had problems with them (especially the FTP) in the past, but just as I write this I'm testing it again and it works great (thanks for forcing me to take another look!) I also like the layout and functionality of ES better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teknologic View Post
    Again, kudos on the detailed review of your homescreens, I was urged to simply copy it all because it just looks so neat :D
    Thanks...I'd love to see other peoples setting like this as well. As I had mentioned I will be updating this thread, but also keeping all the old stuff in there a well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teknologic View Post
    EDIT: Oh, also, if you like your battery indicated in your notification bar, try BatteryTime Lite. I've had it since the first day I got my nexus and it's tiny, accurate and all I need
    The only difference between Battery Indicator and BatteryTime (I had the Pro version a while back) is the remaining screen. I found BT was very inaccurate, even after about two weeks of use. Back when I had it you had to manually enter in the battery specs because it didn't have the N1 in it's list, so perhaps it's better now.
    I'd actually rather not have a notification bar at all - but do like the Battery Indicator icon better than BT. It's easier to see than the black background and tiny text of BT's.
    Rooted Nexus One

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

pure music widget

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.
Android Forum