My N1 Desktop Description...

This is a discussion on My N1 Desktop Description... within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm posting this because I've gotten a lot of questions about my setup both on the forum, and also through PMs. I am not rooted ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My N1 Desktop Description...

My N1 Desktop Description...

I'm posting this because I've gotten a lot of questions about my setup both on the forum, and also through PMs.

I am not rooted and everything except for my Swype keyboard was gotten through the Market. If you are in the US, you should be able to get everything I have. I've paid for many of the apps I have; both for functionality reasons, and also for the beleif that good developers should be supported. Even with that said, however, I try to find great free apps when possible. My advice is to try out every app you find a slight interest in, even the paid ones, and then decisde if it's worth paying for. Remember, you can try any apps for 24 hours with the full chance to refund. I can't tell you how many refunds I've made - but I find that is the best possible way to tell if something is worth paying for.

General Questions I get...
    Home design? - "Home++" (App Selection Screen Pic)
    Home++ is a free homescreen replacement. This main reasons I keep this on is that it will support up to 7 desktops, and will also support Landscape views. This is also what allowed me to remove the notification bar. It also has a built in App Killer and will show you your Available Memory once it kills your apps. It also has the desktop Selector, as you would expect... (P | L) One huge drawback is that it does not support Live Wallpapers.

Smaller icons? - "More Widgets"
    I want instant access to any of my apps - this allowed me to do that. I also hate seeing my main desktop cluttered - especially when I use to use LWs.

Battery in Notification Bar? - "Battery Indicator"
    Before I got Home++ and my notification bar was always on this helped me clean up my desktop. I can probably get rid of it now that I use Mini Info Widget.

Clock/Weather? - "Beautiful Widgets" I usually have the "NakedDroid3D", Topless", or "Beautiful Glass" Skin on, as I do in the screens.
    BW = great. I don't think anyone should NOT have this.

Keyboards? - "Swype", or if you like old form, "Better Keyboard"
    For pecking, I loves better Keyboard. It's accurate, and skinnable. It's better than the HTC port, IMO. I tried ShapeWriter, and the concept was great, but SW's implementation sucked. Swype is an amazing keyboard, and it is now the only one I use.

Web Browers? - "xScope"
    Get rid of Dolphin. Really... Go do it now. xScope is minimalistic, but runs so smooth. I love this app. MT works great, and they even have a "pin to zoon" feature unique to xScope. Hands down best browser for android.

Profile Changes? - "Locale"
    This will change settings and profiles based on certain conditions. For instance, my Default profile is my basic layout with BT on and wifi off. meanwhile I have it setup that if I am at Home, BT will turn off (no longer needed for my car) and Wifi will turn on. There are tons of plug-ins for Locale, so there are a ton of options for both conditions and settings. One of the negative things I've found is that it doesn't update location as quickly as I'd like, and sometimes it takes me actually having to go into the app for it to update. That is still faster than updating each item though. My favorite plug-in is probably the Shake plug-in. When I shake the phone, I have it load up the phone testing page - which is the same as typing in #*#*4636#*#* in the dialer. I use this to force 3G when needed.

Page1 (P | L)
    Widgets
    -Power Bar
    -Internal Memory Widget
    -SD Card Memory Widget
    -2G-3G OnOff

Links to Apps
    -ES File Explorer
    -JuicePlotter (Battery usage graph)
    -PeakMemUsage
    -SmartMonitor
    -Googles
    -Earth
    -NubiNews Reader
    -Live Scores
    -Speed Test
    -Phonalyzr
    -ICE (In Case of Emergency)
    -PDANet
    -MyTracks
    -My Maps Editor
    -GPSTest Plus

Page2 (P | L)
    Widgets
    -iMusic Search

Links to Apps
    -Pandora
    -Shazam
    -Music
    -A Online Radio
    -DailyRoads
    -Qik
    -TV.com
    -VideoVault
    -Camera ZOOm FX
    -Gallery
    -Photobucket (sometimes I switch this to Pixelpipe
    -PhotoVault

Page3 (P | L)
    Widgets
    -Pure Calendar
    -Adroid Agenda

Page4-MAIN (P | L)
    Widgets
    -Beautiful Widgets
    -Mini Info Widget

Links to Apps
    -Gmail
    -Email
    -xScope
    -Dolphin
    -Personal Assistant Pro
    -Agile Messenger
    -Calculator
    -Clock
    -Market
    -Handscent
    -Car Home
    -Facebook
    -Barcodescanner
    -Documents to Go Plus
    -Note Everything Plus

Page5 (P | L)
    Widgets
    -Pure Messenger Widget

Page6 (P | L)
    Widgets
    -Pure Music Widget
    -Pandora
    -Twicca

Folders
    -Games
    -Navigation
    -Political
    -Other

Page7-BLANK (P | L)

Apps to talk about...
    -JuicePlotter (Battery usage graph)
    Graphs your battery useage and displays what was in use (wifi/3G/etc...) while battery is being drained.

-NubiNews Reader
    Best news reader I've found...

-Live Scores
    Sports scores and details... Great app!

-ICE (In Case of Emergency)
    Everyone should have this... All medical info in case you are hurt and can not tell the care providers important information. I have this setup to display automaticly after 10 seconds of the screen being turned on if it is not unlocked.

-Qik
    Stream live video

-VideoVault/PhotoVault
    Password protect Videos/Images

-Personal Assistant Pro (1 | 2 | 3)
    This app works allongside of Pageonce and allows you to input all your online accounts for TONS of companies. In my case, I have this setup for many of my bank accounts, insurance, mortgadge, cable, cell phone, and even my student loan. It will pull back all balance info you need. LOVE THIS app...

-Car Home
    Some have wondered where my Google Maps link is...The thing is, you can access Maps, or Navigation from the Car Home screen.

-Note Everything Plus
    Best note program available...

Folders
    -Games
    Baseball Superstars 2009, Bebbled, Droid Breakout, and Robo Defense = Worth every penny I paid for them.

-Navigation
    Quick links to navigation items

-Political
    Some political programs of mine

-Other
    Everything else. Used for apps I rarely use.

Widgets to talk about...
    -2G-3G OnOff
    Only a link to the settings page. As of now, there is no way to toggle this from a widget.

-Pure Calendar
    Great customizable Calendar. Comes in many sizes.

-Adroid Agenda
    Also highly customizable...

-Mini Info Widget
    I got this mainly for the batter icon, so I could hide my notification bar. ok app... nothing really to it.

-Pure Messenger Widget
    This widget can provide info from Gmail, pop3/IMAP/Exchange email, SMS, Facebook, or Twitter accounts. I use one to display just emails, and another to display twitter and facebook items.

-Pure Music Widget
    Customizable/Skinnable widget for the normal music player. This means I can basicly change the look of the normal music widget and allow use of the headphone controls to still work.

-Twicca
    Twitter Widget... duh

__________________________________________________ _______

Any questions?
    Rooted Nexus One

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Thanks for the write up. I'm going to explore with a lot of what you have and i'm sure i'll learn quite a few things about customizing android in the process. awesome job.

I like the idea of More Widgets, but I don't really like how tiny they are.

Great layout though!
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

hey on android agenda widget how do you get some of the events to have green boxes next to them and some have blue....mine all have blue?!
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

I'm assuming you meant RED and blue...

Those colors represent different calendars I have setup through google. In my case, one color is my wifes calendar, one is my own. They can be changed/edited at calendar.google.com
    Rooted Nexus One

well no i was actually looking at this picture

Ahhh...that's not mine, but its the same thing...
    Rooted Nexus One

Thanks for all the work and info you put into this post. I never would have found something like Personal Assistant Pro from just searching. Also really liking the battery indicator in the notification bar!

WOW awesome write up. This has been a huge help. I love your set up and I'm going to give it a try.

My only question is... If I don't end up liking it, would uninstalling Home++ put my phone back to the way I had it or would I have 5 blank home screens and have to set them all up again?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by eZdoesit View Post
    WOW awesome write up. This has been a huge help. I love your set up and I'm going to give it a try.

My only question is... If I don't end up liking it, would uninstalling Home++ put my phone back to the way I had it or would I have 5 blank home screens and have to set them all up again?

Thanks again.
    no you go back to what it used to be before with everything you had on there. You can even switch between the two home screens, it will ask you every time you hit the home button. Or you can select a default and the other one will be hibernated until you decide to use it again. so no worries get home++ its so classy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links