Google Voice as primary number?

This is a discussion on Google Voice as primary number? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Is anyone out there using Google voice as their primary number? I'm inclined to do it, but it'll mean giving out that GV number to ...

Thread: Google Voice as primary number?

Google Voice as primary number?

Is anyone out there using Google voice as their primary number?

I'm inclined to do it, but it'll mean giving out that GV number to all my contacts, and then there's no going back.

I've tried it some, and the call quality seems comparable to T-mobile's.

Any feedback?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I def made the switch and very happy that I did... now I don't have to worry ever again about what number to give people. Voice quality is great just like any regular call. Amazing that you can use it with Gizmo. Def recommended if nothing else but people will send you free txt msg's to the right number...

I have been giving people my GV number for 6+ months. It does work.

My major problem is that Gizmo sometimes doesn't work. So I quit using Gizmo.

Now SipGate will sometimes send my calls to voice mail instead of letting GV send it to voice mail.

So my complaints are against the VOIP service provider, not the GV switching.
    :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Quote Originally Posted by Wubak View Post

I'm inclined to do it, but it'll mean giving out that GV number to all my contacts, and then there's no going back.

Any feedback?
    Here is my problem with GV. I use it specifcally for texting and while all my friends text me just fine, but when you have to input your phone number for text confirmation by the bank, they will not accept a number that is not with a mobile company. So then I have to give out my cellphone number and since I cancelled my texting plan, I have to pay per text which tends to get expensive when it adds up.

I've been using GV as primary number for at least 6 months...but it wasn't until I got my Nexus One that I told family members and others to stop calling my old cell number. I haven't even given anyone my new T-Mobile number that came with the Nexus One.

Google Voice as my only number isn't without its quirks. I find the voice quality to be hit or miss. There can be a bit of latency in calls made to it. Sometimes I have to tell people I'll call them back and just call direct without outgoing via GV.

Also, as someone else mentioned the lack of email to SMS and other standard SMS features makes it hard to dump your regular text messaging plan and replace it with GV.

Should I even mention that if you have friends who like to send you MMS, that GV is not even an option? (eMail works, but try to explain to non-geeky friends about how to send an MMS to email.)

Using it for over a year

I have been using my voice number since it was my grandcentral number and have gone through 3 phones with this number. I love it and the better that the integration gets with my N1 the more I like it.

I don't know. I've only been using Google Voice for a couple of months, and it doesn't seem to have evolved in that, admittedly short, timeframe. Gizmo5, for instance, is close to being unusable.

Is Google really committed to be a player in the telephony market? So far their investments have been pocket change, and their approach seems to be as haphazard as their design, marketing and support of the N1.

While I'm waiting for a sign from above, I'm just forwarding calls from my old home number through the GV number. This lets me off the hook, so to speak, if Google pulls or sells out.

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslkuo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wubak View Post

Any feedback?
    Here is my problem with GV. I use it specifcally for texting and while all my friends text me just fine, but when you have to input your phone number for text confirmation by the bank, they will not accept a number that is not with a mobile company. So then I have to give out my cellphone number and since I cancelled my texting plan, I have to pay per text which tends to get expensive when it adds up.
    You should be able to get the alert via email. What if you didn't have a cell phone?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links