Unresolved nexus one tech issues

This is a discussion on Unresolved nexus one tech issues within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I am a 3GS user & contemplating joining the Android OS bandwagon. My Android phone of choice is obviously the Nexus One. For the past ...

Thread: Unresolved nexus one tech issues

Unresolved nexus one tech issues

I am a 3GS user & contemplating joining the Android OS bandwagon.
    My Android phone of choice is obviously the Nexus One. For the past few weeks I have been visiting Nexus's websites & forums. In general the feedback from users have not been all that positive. Issues like 3G connectivity, insensitive touchscreen & auto rotation are still there despite a recent firmware upgrade.
    My question is: Is it worthwhile to get the Nexus One now or wait for the HTC Desire or something even better than the Nexus One in the near future?
    Thank you & looking forward to all your replies soon.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

mah
    It's almost always better to wait for the next hardware to be available... the problem is its a never-ending wait, so you either have to decide to take the plunge at some point, or keep missing out on the "bird in hand" in favor for the "two in the bush".

Only you can answer your question... 3G issues have partially been addressed in the firmware update; some people still have issues and others are now happy. I suspect you have no way to predict which camp you would be in (unless you can borrow an N1, and even then I'm not sure).

There are touchscreen issues, but depending on what apps you use and how you use them, you might not even notice. The recently exposed multi-touch issue has gone unnoticed for a long time, pre-dating the N1... I didn't even know there was an issue until I downloaded an app that had been developed to specifically highlight it.

I'm not sure what auto-rotation issues you're referring to... is this a large issue? Perhaps just a higher than typical failure rate (where most people are still unlikely to encounter it)?

Most importantly -- if any of these problems (or perceived problems) would cause you to not buy the N1, do you have reason to believe they won't also exist in the Desire? If so, then wait for it. If not, how long are you willing to wait?

And why are you contemplating leaving the 3GS? What will the N1 give you it doesn't?

There will never be a device without *SOME* problem.

Personally, I've never had any problems with my Nexus. Yes, holding the phone near the bottom makes it loose some bars. But the antenna is located there, and obviously placing your hand over it will cause some signal loss.

Lots of the screen issues have to do with the accelerometer. I rarely use the phone in landscape, so I turn off the accelerometer and I've never had any screen errors when its off.

Its up to you in the end. You can wait until that perfect device comes along. Or you can buy a Nexus. Its a first generation device, so it will only get better though.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Personally, I really love my N1. I haven't had any problems once I settled into several good applications that I use regularly. For me, it is the perfect phone and is never more than a foot away from me at any time.

N_1
    The touch screen is actually over sensitive to the micro meter. It is more sensative that the iphones as well. That does not mean its better though, its just the truth.
    <------Have you seen obama girl?

To FlyingsCool,
    Having used a 3G prior to my existing 3GS. IMHO the functionality of iphone as a phone is pretty hopeless. Bluetooth's limitation: transferring of files impossible via bluetooth, no external memory card, built-in batt, mediocre camera performance & too dependent on itunes to do anything. In all honesty, as an information tool is great. Email is great. Plethora of apps to choose from & unfortunately some are pretty useless. In view of this, I am thinking of using the Android OS. Last but not least I do need a change as I am pretty sick of playing with the iphone.
    Having said that, there is no such thing as a perfect phone in this world.
    Btw, I am emailing from Malaysia & Nexus One is not officially available here. Only god knows when it will be officially available in Malaysia. There is this Company which can ship it to me from Singapore as it is available there but it will cost me US$750.00! Blatant daylight robbery in my opinion!
    As for "after sales service" & should anything goes wrong with the phone. They will collect the phone from me & courier it to HTC / Singapore for repair.

I know several iPhone users that have switched over to the N1 (and more awaiting AT&T contract termination to do so) that are extremely happy with the performance. As a former iPhone 3Gs user said "there isn't one feature of the N1 that I don't like far better than the iPhone."

I haven't seen a lot of commentary on the social dynamics engendered by Google's marketing (or lack thereof) and support (or, again, lack thereof) mechanisms.

It seems to me that web sales and support implicitly select a different set of customers than your sweet old etc. Aunt Lucy. We tend to be early adopters, relatively knowledgeable, and very opinionated about the range of whiz bang functions we expect to see. And since we buy a lot of stuff via the web, we complain via the web.

And we're not censored here. In a (name of competitor)-sponsored forum, any severe criticism might get lost (we're so sorry), or threatened by an Armageddon army of lawyers.

In short, this forum and others provide information that should help a sophisticated buyer to make an informed decision. Similar information for competing products and vendors may be thin on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dlff View Post
    To FlyingsCool,
    Having used a 3G prior to my existing 3GS. IMHO the functionality of iphone as a phone is pretty hopeless. Bluetooth's limitation: transferring of files impossible via bluetooth, no external memory card, built-in batt, mediocre camera performance & too dependent on itunes to do anything. In all honesty, as an information tool is great. Email is great. Plethora of apps to choose from & unfortunately some are pretty useless. In view of this, I am thinking of using the Android OS. Last but not least I do need a change as I am pretty sick of playing with the iphone.
    Having said that, there is no such thing as a perfect phone in this world.
    Btw, I am emailing from Malaysia & Nexus One is not officially available here. Only god knows when it will be officially available in Malaysia. There is this Company which can ship it to me from Singapore as it is available there but it will cost me US$750.00! Blatant daylight robbery in my opinion!
    As for "after sales service" & should anything goes wrong with the phone. They will collect the phone from me & courier it to HTC / Singapore for repair.
    I'm from malaysia too. I guess that's the price you pay for being early adopters from countries not afforded the Google choice. I got mine through a friend that just came back for CNY so not too bad.

I'm enjoying my Nexus to the fullest though, not any problems with 3G dropping and such. It's all because of Maxis and not the phone. Only problem i have is with the clicking autofocus that my other friend DOES NOT HAVE. oh well, can't win them all.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links