Microphone when using speakerphone vs. normal usage

This is a discussion on Microphone when using speakerphone vs. normal usage within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've been hearing this comment/complaint from a number of people I've spoken with. I'm having problems understainding what's going on. I am hoping people here ...

Thread: Microphone when using speakerphone vs. normal usage

Microphone when using speakerphone vs. normal usage

I've been hearing this comment/complaint from a number of people I've spoken with. I'm having problems understainding what's going on. I am hoping people here might have a few thoughts or suggestions.....

When I'm talking on my N1 with the phone against my head everything seems to be fine, and very clear. When I'm using my N1 as a speakerphone peaple say that they only hear some of the words I'm saying. If I take the N1 out of speakerphone mode they say everything is fine again. I don't think it's a 'signal" issue, because I hear them very clearly and don't have any problems. I used my MyTouch often as a speakerphone, and I haven't heard these comments about my voice "going in and out" before. I've paid attention and I know that when I'm using the speakerphone I am not moving around or changing where I am in relation to the phone. Tonight I ran a "test", calling my office and leaving myself a message. The first half of the message I used my N1 against my face, then recorded the second half in the speakerphone mode. Sure enough, I could hear my voice "waivering", or "modulating" in and out when I was using the N1's speakerphone.

Unless I'm wrong, doesn't the N1 use the same microphone for picking up my voice in both modes, "regular" phone against the head and speakerphone modes?

Does the N1 use the "noise cancelling" software when it's in speakerphone mode? I guess I'm wondering if the N1 is seeing my voice as "background noise" if it picks me up on both mics and is trying to cancel my voice out. Considering what a speakerphone is used for, I wouldn't think that "noise canceling" would be engaged then, but I can't think of anything else that could be causing my voice to "breakup".

Has anyone else had anything similar happen with their N1?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

In what position is your phone when you are using the speaker? Could you be covering the microphone by placing it in a stand?

Yes! I have been having this problem but completely forgot about it until I read this post.when I did the test my phone was flat on a table (I think) but I will try different positions.

Good Question. I tested the speakerphone in two different ways.

First I laid it on my desk, screen up, with the microphone (bottom of the phone) toward me, and my face was about 2 feet away from the phone.

Second I held the phone about 4 to 6 inches in front of my face, just below my chin as far as height, screen up and microphone toward my face but turned a little away from me so that I didn't breath directly on the mic.

My voice was "going in and out" and sounded about the same in both positions.

I can't imagine that the "noise cancelling" software would be engaged when the N1 is in speakerphone mode, but I can't think of anything else that would be causing this.

Skip

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links