If I understand correct why ever pay $529 for so called "unlocked" N1? Major Loophole

This is a discussion on If I understand correct why ever pay $529 for so called "unlocked" N1? Major Loophole within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Why would anyone EVER pay the $529 price for the "no contract" price? Because both Nexus One versions are "unlocked", just one doesnt come with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I understand correct why ever pay $529 for so called "unlocked" N1? Major Loophole

If I understand correct why ever pay $529 for so called "unlocked" N1? Major Loophole

Why would anyone EVER pay the $529 price for the "no contract" price? Because both Nexus One versions are "unlocked", just one doesnt come with the contract with T-Mobile.

So why not buy a Nexus One on contract then pay the Equipment Recovery Fee?

New T-Mobile Customers would pay $179 for phone + a $150 Equipment Recovery Fee + No T-Mobile fee if canceled within the "buyer's remorse" period = $329 with no contract

Existing T-Mobile Customers would pay $279 for phone + a $50 Equipment Recovery Fee + No T-Mobile fee if canceled within the "buyer's remorse" period = $329 with no contract

This is a no brainer for me. I will be getting my $329 Nexus One on no contract tomorrow. What idiots Google are for not seeing that loophole.

And if you are one of the people that need proof that my theory would indeed work follow the official terms of canceling via Google's own site:

Canceling your T-Mobile service : Returns and warranty - Nexus One Help

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You're forgetting the ETF from T-Mobile. Add another 200 dollars on top of that and you're out....530...same price as unsubsidized.

Exception to that is if you return it within 14 days. You can get a full refund and incur no ETF from T-Mo, but you have to return the phone.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

i bought mine unsubsidized and my friend works for radioshack. as a radioshack employee you are allowed 1 service plan for each of the service providers that you sell contracts for (i.e. sprint, tomobile, at&t). my friend already has at&t, so i was able to get T-mobile. why do this? well, i am only paying 29$/month for unlimited data, minutes, text...the whole 9 yards. granted, its all under his name, the bill is still sent to my house, and i still pay with my money. and the great thing about this is, since this is going through a radioshack employee there is NO, i repeat, NO contract to sign. i am on my own "custom" plan that allows me to cancel my service whenever i want with no termination fee, not that i plan on leaving T-mobile, but its nice to know i am not bound to their contract.

i wouldnt be able to do this if i bought the phone with 2 year agreement. nor can a radioshack employee as well. he has the HTC Hero (non-sprint, international version) and he had to pay like $600 from a company in Canada to get his phone unsubsidized. its pretty legit, HTC Sence UI, but the downside is Android 1.5, lucky for him there is an OTA update to Android 2.1 coming in a week or so.
    R.I.P.

Rooted and flashed as of March 11, 2010

CyanogenMod 6.0.0
    - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Kblakeshot View Post
    Why would anyone EVER pay the $529 price for the "no contract" price? Because both Nexus One versions are "unlocked", just one doesnt come with the contract with T-Mobile.

New T-Mobile Customers would pay $179 for phone + a $150 Equipment Recovery Fee + No T-Mobile fee if canceled within the "buyer's remorse" period = $329 with no contract

Existing T-Mobile Customers would pay $279 for phone + a $50 Equipment Recovery Fee + No T-Mobile fee if canceled within the "buyer's remorse" period = $329 with no contract

This is a no brainer for me. I will be getting my $329 Nexus One on no contract tomorrow. What idiots Google are for not seeing that loophole.

And if you are one of the people that need proof that my theory would indeed work follow the official terms of canceling via Google's own site:

Google is much, much smarter than you or me. You either get the subsidized version for $179/$279, or you pay $529. You haven't found a loophole, they will get their money from you one way or another. But congrats on coming here with the cocky attitude, it's always a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by drsutphin View Post

Google is much, much smarter than you or me. You either get the subsidized version for $179/$279, or you pay $529. You haven't found a loophole, they will get their money from you one way or another. But congrats on coming here with the cocky attitude, it's always a crapshoot.
    Believe me man, I in no way wanted to seem cocky or anything like that. I work tech support for the Nexus One and see this happen daily. I guess I shouldnt have made it a question and made it more of a statement. Here is the deal, if you cancel within 14 days you are good with T-Mobile... the only charge Google will then charge is the $50 or $100, believe me. Again I am not trying to be cocky, but I see it multiple times a day and another thing... Google is not as smart as some of you people think. I mean point A) They dont sell this thing in stores! point B)You cant get this thing if you have a family plan.. then once you come off the family plan you may have to wait up to 45 days before you can get it then.

Do they want to sell this phone.... or tease people with this phone?

Thats just the surface of some of the things they did "stupid"

Equipment recovery fee : Returns and warranty - Nexus One Help

Please note that the above Equipment Recovery Fee is charged by Google. You may also be subject to early termination or other fees charged by T-Mobile if you cancel your mobile service before the end of your term. Please check with T-Mobile about any applicable fees for early cancellation of service.

That's $329 going to Google. Since you are under contract with T-Mobile for purchasing a subsidized phone, you then owe T-Mobile money for breaking that contract.

Interesting...

How would this 'loop-hole' benefit those out side the USA?

they clearly state that there is no $200 ETF fee if you close your account withing 14 days and return the device. Now, maybe they are not checking you return the device, which is dumb of them, but doesnt mean they wont wake up in a month or two to it not being returned, and... charge you $200.

"Cancellation and Returns. You can cancel your Service without paying an Early Termination Fee if you cancel WITHIN 14 DAYS of activating a new line of Service (30 days if you activate in California; other states may differ "“ ask your sales representative) ("śReturn Period"). You remain responsible to pay for the Service and all charges, fees and taxes incurred through the date of cancellation. To cancel during the Return Period, you must return to the store where you activated (or, if purchased online or by phone, follow the return instructions in the package), and return any Device you acquired at the time of activation."

Quote Originally Posted by drsutphin View Post

Believe me man, I in no way wanted to seem cocky or anything like that. I work tech support for the Nexus One and see this happen daily. I guess I shouldnt have made it a question and made it more of a statement. Here is the deal, if you cancel within 14 days you are good with T-Mobile... the only charge Google will then charge is the $50 or $100, believe me. Again I am not trying to be cocky, but I see it multiple times a day and another thing... Google is not as smart as some of you people think. I mean point A) They dont sell this thing in stores! point B)You cant get this thing if you have a family plan.. then once you come off the family plan you may have to wait up to 45 days before you can get it then.

Do they want to sell this phone.... or tease people with this phone?

Thats just the surface of some of the things they did "stupid"
    Yes they are one dumb company....worth more billions than I would care to guess with single shares of stock damn near $600. Taking that into account I am not going to try and decide if their business model of only selling their phone in their online store is a good thing or bad thing as they seem to be doing well for themselves. And as for the family plan thing you brought up....isn't that the choice of the carrier and not Google?

heh.

Go ahead and give it a shot, and report back to us in 1 month and let us know how it worked...

TANSTAAFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links