VOIP and data only

This is a discussion on VOIP and data only within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I am interested in the Nexus One particularly for VOIP on a data only plan. I'm planning on using this with Asterisk which I have ...

Thread: VOIP and data only

VOIP and data only

I am interested in the Nexus One particularly for VOIP on a data only plan. I'm planning on using this with Asterisk which I have experience with so I know a bit about voip, codecs and such. I have read some mixed results on Nexus One VOIP over 3g. Is the issue poor latency on 3g? Is it because G.711 is too much bandwidth for 3g? Would a codec like G.729 or GSM work well? Is the VOIP carrier the issue? Is it a hardware/software issue with the phone? Would qos/dscp resolve the issue? Is the issue the sip/iax application?

Looking for some feedback, thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I don't think the issues of VOIP over cellular towers on N1 have been rigorously characterized. Mostly anecdotal, e.g:

I have tried using Sipdroid (G711 - this software does not incorporate G729) through SipGate over AT&T 2G and it was dismal. High percentage of dropped packets. Over WiFi this combination worked satisfactorily.

Skype (G729, I believe) will allegedly be releasing a mobile version for Android soon, and the fact that they are touting a partnership with Verizon seems a good sign.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links