I'm switching to an AT&T Nexus One (back up advice)

This is a discussion on I'm switching to an AT&T Nexus One (back up advice) within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm an AT&T customer currently with an unlocked Tmobile N1. Tomorrow I'll be switching devices and want to know if there's a way to back ...

Thread: I'm switching to an AT&T Nexus One (back up advice)

Question I'm switching to an AT&T Nexus One (back up advice)

I'm an AT&T customer currently with an unlocked Tmobile N1. Tomorrow I'll be switching devices and want to know if there's a way to back up my TMobile device and restore that data on my new AT&T device? Having had iPhones and Blackberries this was possible and one didn't lose anything data when switching devices and want to know if this is possible on Andriod phones. TIA

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Astro File Manager, MyBackupPro, and Titanium Backup all do this.

Titanium Backup is my favorite, but its for rooted devices. It works on non-rooted Nexus also, but won't get private apps I don't think.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Android itself backs things up. I just went from the TMobile Nexus to the AT&T one (I've had AT&T for about 9 years) and after putting in my main Gmail account it started syncing. 20 minutes later I had all my apps, contacts, etc... installed on the device. Obviously the only thing I lost was some data *within* certain programs but most of that is backed up on the SD card anyway.

I would recommend Astro for backing up specific app data.

i am just curious about the switching...do you need to sell the old N1 and get the new att N1.....i am a ATT customer too...but now i have the first N1..and stick to the ATT Edge....
    current: miui -1217
    previous: cm6.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by pinkwall View Post
    i am just curious about the switching...do you need to sell the old N1 and get the new att N1.....i am a ATT customer too...but now i have the first N1..and stick to the ATT Edge....
    I just bought the new one and sold the old one on eBay. They still sell for a good amount. Make sure you have both at the same time so you're not left without a phone and just switch over the SIM card. Leave the MicroSD in the phone but backup anything you want to your computer. That way, you can start fresh. Let Android download everything it wants, then just put the data you saved on your computer back on the MicroSD card. Took me about 1 hour total to get up and running with the new phone.

Thanks for the info... I think I need to get an Att one now...
    current: miui -1217
    previous: cm6.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by pinkwall View Post
    Thanks for the info... I think I need to get an Att one now...
    It's obviously quite a big difference in speed. Helps a lot

Quote Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
    It's obviously quite a big difference in speed. Helps a lot
    What type of speeds are you guys seeing with the AT&T Nexus One on AT&T? I'm traveling in a non-Nexus One country and can't buy my AT&T N1 yet. Want to make sure it's what I want to do.
    :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

just did the same, and the switch took about 10 minutes. make sure you have synch enabled on your original phone, and assuming you have a Gmail account, then all your apps are auto-backed up to the cloud through your Gmail account.

swap over your SIM and battery, and why not the memory card, then switch on new phone. about the 4th welcome screen in asks you for your Gmail credentials, enter those and wa-la, it syncs your phone with the stored settings and all the apps magically appear, with your home screen, same as before.

what is doesn't do is bring over your gdoc notes or Notes, or other email accounts, or SMS messages. you have to manually set up other email accounts, and Google docs is notoriously not sync's yet on android. (come ON Google!).

I'd like a way to transfer my SMS messages to my sim card and direct the new phone to install those, but I cant find that option. anyone?

oh, and be sure to reset the old one to Factory Defaults and wipe any info before... selling it!

the GOOD news is that 3G is amazingly quicker, and makes the switch totally worth it. surprised at the speed - its like Wi-Fi (my first 3G phone) and exceeds my expectations - PLUS I can now use it as an internet access point for my computered (tethered via USB) in an emergency/ on location. great...

ps: the great Wave Secure App backs up my SMS threads. thats all good. be sure to backup just before you switch, and... remove Wave Secure if you pass the phone along. otherwise the new user will be locked out...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links