Contact Groups / Distinctive Ring / Caller Name Announcement

This is a discussion on Contact Groups / Distinctive Ring / Caller Name Announcement within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi All, I'm a proud new owner of the Nexus One and have spent the past three days getting to know the phone inside and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contact Groups / Distinctive Ring / Caller Name Announcement

Contact Groups / Distinctive Ring / Caller Name Announcement

Hi All,

I'm a proud new owner of the Nexus One and have spent the past three days getting to know the phone inside and out. I am amazed at everything I can do with it.

One feature that I had grown very dependent on my previous phone was caller announcement where the phone would tell me who is calling before it started ringing, i.e. "Call from John Doe" <ring> <ring> With that, I got in a habit of ignoring most calls and only picking up the ones I needed, like those from work.

Now, I have added all my work contacts into the coworkers group, but I can't find a way to give that group a custom ringtone without going into each contact and assigning it the ringtone, which makes the idea of a "group" pointless to me...any help here?

Also, is there an App that you know of that enables call announcement?

Thanks for the help!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Anyone?

Nobody here uses contact groups in the Nexus for calls?

This seems to be a pretty glaring omission in Android 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by ra990 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm a proud new owner of the Nexus One and have spent the past three days getting to know the phone inside and out. I am amazed at everything I can do with it.

One feature that I had grown very dependent on my previous phone was caller announcement where the phone would tell me who is calling before it started ringing, i.e. "Call from John Doe" <ring> <ring> With that, I got in a habit of ignoring most calls and only picking up the ones I needed, like those from work.

Now, I have added all my work contacts into the coworkers group, but I can't find a way to give that group a custom ringtone without going into each contact and assigning it the ringtone, which makes the idea of a "group" pointless to me...any help here?

Also, is there an App that you know of that enables call announcement?

Thanks for the help!
    If you make a folder with your particular ringtones, (naming convention of folder needs to be lower case) on your SDcard.

When you have set up your groups etc. go into menu of that group > options > ringtones. There you can choose your ringtone.

That should work.

Also... I haven't seen a market app with that feature, but keep checking if it is / when available; I'm sure someone will inform us.

Thanks, can you elaborate a little more? I haven't found a way to see my contact groups in android. The built in contact application doesn't seem to support contact groups. What application are you using to view the contact groups?

If you go to your contacts list via the web, there you will have some pre-choices like Family, coworkers etc. and you can add your own.

Sync the contacts with your phone, go to contacts on your phone. Menu > display options > touch your account and you should be set from there!!

Yea, I did that much...the problem is once the contacts have synced...there are no groups in the contact application built into the n1. From the contacts.google.com web site, I have created groups and assigned contacts to all of them. But, the contacts app doesn't even show the groups...just lists the contacts individually. Where do I see my groups in my phone?

It's a little awkward if you ask me.

You can see a particular group (or 2, 3 ...) by selecting the checkmark for the group(s) you want in the N1's contact filter. When you return to the contact list, only the group(s) you selected will be showing. However, they are "grouped" in the contact list alphabetically, not separated by their groups and then alpha (which is what I believe you want).

You may need to investigate one of the contact applications in order to have more control.

Found an app called "Contacts GroupU" that seems like it will do what I need with assigning different ringtones to various groups.

Ive grouped my contacts into a football group but can not find on phone could you give me a little more help in finding them i have imported from sd card!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sailsy View Post
    Ive grouped my contacts into a football group but can not find on phone could you give me a little more help in finding them i have imported from sd card!

Thanks
    From the contacts list, tap on menu and then Display Options to see a list of the various emails you are using. Tap on one of them, such as your gmail account, and you will see the list of groups. Some are standard with the phone, others may be specific ones you made, such as your football group. Any group that is selected here with a checkmark will display in your contacts when you select Done.

To see all contacts again, just repeat the process and add back checkmarks to the missing groups.

Sometimes, if you create a contact and it doesn't display so you think it didn't save, you can come back to this contact group selection and be sure that "All Other Contacts" is checkmarked and then find the missing contact. One other quirk is that if you set up two contacts with similar names, sometimes the contact app will "join" them into one contact and display only one of the names. You will then have to go to the one that shows and select "unjoin" from the menu to get two separate contacts back. You get used to it. Likewise, if you get duplicate contacts because of other apps you use, you can select them and choose "join."

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links