Moving from iPhone to Nexus One?

This is a discussion on Moving from iPhone to Nexus One? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey everyone, I'm a Mac user and would like to know if syncing my contacts and iCal would be an easy thing to do? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from iPhone to Nexus One?

Moving from iPhone to Nexus One?

Hey everyone,

I'm a Mac user and would like to know if syncing my contacts and iCal would be an easy thing to do?

I know I should use Doubletwist for my music, unless anyone can recommend something else?

Excited for my N1 to arrive!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm a Mac user and would like to know if syncing my contacts and iCal would be an easy thing to do?

I know I should use Doubletwist for my music, unless anyone can recommend something else?

I've had all three iPhones (bought on launch day, no less) and just received my Nexus One ATT version yesterday. I love the switch, this phone is amazing. I don't think the keyboard is nearly as good but besides that I'm having a great time.

I didn't sync address book and iCal with google. I just exported my data, and imported it into google. Sure, I can no longer use iCal and address book with my Nexus One, but having everything on google removes an extra step that can go wrong (keeping those two in sync).

Doubletwist did not work for me. It synced a bit of my music and then just stopped. It was buggy and just not that polished. I downloaded an app called "iSyncr" from the Android Market that has worked perfectly so far. It even brings over most of your album artwork. The only thing is that it doesn't bring over DRM'd songs, which I assume is a problem on all the available software.

If you have any more questions just post back. Even though I don't know nearly as much about the Nexus One as a bunch of the members on here, I'm in the midst of switching so I've found some things I really like over the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've had all three iPhones (bought on launch day, no less) and just received my Nexus One ATT version yesterday. I love the switch, this phone is amazing. I don't think the keyboard is nearly as good but besides that I'm having a great time.

I didn't sync address book and iCal with google. I just exported my data, and imported it into google. Sure, I can no longer use iCal and address book with my Nexus One, but having everything on google removes an extra step that can go wrong (keeping those two in sync).

Doubletwist did not work for me. It synced a bit of my music and then just stopped. It was buggy and just not that polished. I downloaded an app called "iSyncr" from the Android Market that has worked perfectly so far. It even brings over most of your album artwork. The only thing is that it doesn't bring over DRM'd songs, which I assume is a problem on all the available software.

If you have any more questions just post back. Even though I don't know nearly as much about the Nexus One as a bunch of the members on here, I'm in the midst of switching so I've found some things I really like over the iPhone.
    Just bought isyncr. Good call. Thx.

Congrats on coming over from the dark side

Hey everyone,

I have been using a jb / unlocked iphone 32gb 3gs with t-mobile for some time. I recently purchased an unlocked N1 (t-mobile) I'm really torn between the two phones. The only reason why I'm torn is I feel the N1 still has some bugs in it that really need to be worked out (touch screen, UI polish, apps crashing). I have 8 days left to decide if I need to return this or not. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by syirrus View Post
    I have been using a jb / unlocked iphone 32gb 3gs with t-mobile for some time. I recently purchased an unlocked N1 (t-mobile) I'm really torn between the two phones. The only reason why I'm torn is I feel the N1 still has some bugs in it that really need to be worked out (touch screen, UI polish, apps crashing). I have 8 days left to decide if I need to return this or not. I guess I will have to wait and see.
    My apps actually don't crash and the UI seems polished to me, but I'm having a hard time on the soft keyboard. For some reason I just make more mistakes on it than I did on the iPhone and I don't type as fast. For the people who have switched to the N1 from the iPhone: Do you find my experience to be true (that the keyboard isn't as good) or did you gradually get better at using it?

Quote Originally Posted by syirrus View Post
    My apps actually don't crash and the UI seems polished to me, but I'm having a hard time on the soft keyboard. For some reason I just make more mistakes on it than I did on the iPhone and I don't type as fast. For the people who have switched to the N1 from the iPhone: Do you find my experience to be true (that the keyboard isn't as good) or did you gradually get better at using it?
    I can type almost as fast as I can type on the iphone on the N1. I noticed that you must be conscious of the 4 soft keys (back menu home and search) while typing. If you hand is slightly covering them, it will mess you up (at least me). In terms of polish, I'm referring to the choppy or laggy scrolling. Its just much smoother on the iPhone. I was reading up on rooting and that might offer some benefits in that dept. I'm not sure however.

rje
    I've switched from the 3Gs to Nexus One. Here is what Nexus One doesn't have that I miss:

-tethering out of the box (I need that for my work)
    -syncing notes
    -seamless music, picture, video management and syncing
    -syncing bookmarks
    -squeeze/pinch for browser and pictures

There's more stuff that I took for granted with the iPhone. I still like the Nexus, and I plan on getting tethering working via third party solutions. But I miss a few things that shouldn't require third party help. I realize I can add Missing Sync for Android. I miss the stuff that was out of the box with the iPhone. I also miss the browsing experience on the iPhone.

None of this means that I don't like the Nexus One. It means that I got used to a lot of stuff that I no longer have, and I have to find solutions for that.

Quote Originally Posted by rje View Post
    I've switched from the 3Gs to Nexus One. Here is what Nexus One doesn't have that I miss:

-tethering out of the box (I need that for my work)
    -syncing notes
    -seamless music, picture, video management and syncing
    -syncing bookmarks
    -squeeze/pinch for browser and pictures

There's more stuff that I took for granted with the iPhone. I still like the Nexus, and I plan on getting tethering working via third party solutions. But I miss a few things that shouldn't require third party help. I realize I can add Missing Sync for Android. I miss the stuff that was out of the box with the iPhone. I also miss the browsing experience on the iPhone.

None of this means that I don't like the Nexus One. It means that I got used to a lot of stuff that I no longer have, and I have to find solutions for that.
    Get evernote for notes syncing. Great service. The iPhone comes with terrible notes syncing to begin with.

Also, the nexus one does support pinch to zoom with the most recent update. This works in both browser and the gallery.

rje
    Thanks for the Evernote tip. I was actually a subscriber and forgot. There is nothing wrong with iPhone notes syncing. It saves the notes. That's its job. I have no complaints. The huge issue for me is simple tethering. I rely on it to do my job as a reporter which requires instant uploads of MP3's back to headquarters. WiFi is usually not available. When it is, it tends to be password protected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links