Can't Decide on Droid or N1

This is a discussion on Can't Decide on Droid or N1 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; This being an N1 forum, I think I'll know the answer I'll get, but I could use some advice from people that might know more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Decide on Droid or N1

Can't Decide on Droid or N1

This being an N1 forum, I think I'll know the answer I'll get, but I could use some advice from people that might know more or have more experience than I do with the Droid and N1.

I currently have an old flip-phone and am a VZW customer nearing my two-year contract ending. I've been holding out for 'Spring 2010" when the N1 would hit VZW, but it's getting harder and harder. I am also going on my honeymoon next week and having a nice new smartphone would be a real boon.

I don't want T-Mobile service; I am happy with Verizon and don't believe T-Mobile has the kind of network want.

Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Droid:
    +Slightly larger screen than N1
    +Can buy it right now, apparently for $50 from what I've seen online (wirefly, Amazon)
    +I like the look more than N1 (very distinct!)

-Keyboard which I (probably) will never use and I've heard isn't that great
    -STILL not running 2.1!

N1:
    +AMOLED screen supposed to look nicer
    +Faster than Droid
    +No keyboard, which I like
    +Made and supported directly by Google - I believe Google will get updates and cool stuff going way faster than VZW and Moto (and 2.1 is a big example!)
    +Better noise cancellation?

-$300?
    -Not on VZW yet
    -Bad 3G (may be T-Mobile issue)
    -Bottom buttons slightly off
    -Multitouch issue due to inferior touchscreen hardware

The N1 has a lot of great stuff going for it, but the biggest dealbreakers are the network and the (possible) cost. Google's site says existing 2-year customers pay $280, which is quite a bit. I think it's worth it but when compared to $50 for a droid... well that's a huge savings. (Please note as well I've never bought a phone except through Verizon's store which is always expensive - if buying from the net like this isn't as flat out cheap as it seems, let me know)

I think I'd be fairly happy with the droid, ONCE it gets 2.1. My thing I am most curious about is how different 2.1 will be on the droid vs N1.

Just wanted some thoughts - is the wait and extra $230 worth it? I've heard that N1 is better, but Droid is a very close second.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

No one can make the decision for you, but personally, it would drive me crazy to have a device with a hardware keyboard that I know I'd never use.

see if Droid has as many problems as N1.

Quote Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
    No one can make the decision for you, but personally, it would drive me crazy to have a device with a hardware keyboard that I know I'd never use.
    Yeah I know, this is not something that people can say "Oh this for sure!" Not as easy as iphone vs android phones :P

I don't think I would use the keyboard - I've never had one. Heard people love them, some pick Droid simply for that. I don't know that I care one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k
    see if Droid has as many problems as N1.
    I hadn't heard of too many problems, except for bad 3G (which I believe is a tmo issue?), the buttons on the bottom of the phone being slightly off (which is weird, I've used an N1 and noticed it immediatly), and the inferioir touchscreen that makes multitouch not work as well (but from what I heard, it was only discovered when a developer wanted to do some touch stuff for a game - that it wasn't a huge deal right now for people using the phone).

I had forgotten all of those issues actually :P They should be in the OP, helps to balance this a bit more.

I am really leaning toward the Droid, since everyone says it's as good as (and sometimes better than), the N1. Thanks for the input!

This forum is littered with problems people are experiencing. I start to believe it's all HTC's fault not necessarily Android.

Screen issues, reception, spontaneous shut off, etc.

I would say the Nexus... But thats personal taste.

One of my close friends got the Droid just 2 days ago, so I have been playing and moogling over her phone.

Main noticeably differences:

The Droid is considerably heavier and clunkier feeling. The slider feel VERY sturdy, but its kinda boxy and heavy.

The phone ITSELF is slower than my Nexus. Pretty sure its cos I'm now used to my ROOTED nexus, but the screen switching felt SLOW on her STOCK droid.

I reallyyyy like the keyboard on the Droid which the Nexus doesn't have, but the d-pad is in a horrible position.

There is a CAMERA button on the droid. No clue why the Nexus doesn't have one.

There is all that ugly gold detailing on the Droid, which the Nexus doesn't have.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMonster View Post
    The Droid is considerably heavier and clunkier feeling. The slider feel VERY sturdy, but its kinda boxy and heavy.
    Haven't used an N1 much, but I don't think the Droid feels too bad. Maybe in direct comparison I would be able to tell.

The phone ITSELF is slower than my Nexus. Pretty sure its cos I'm now used to my ROOTED nexus, but the screen switching felt SLOW on her STOCK droid.
    Was worried about this. Guess I'd have to overclock if I got a Droid; was not wanting to have to do this initially (probably when I get bored with the coolness of the new phone).

There is a CAMERA button on the droid. No clue why the Nexus doesn't have one.
    Did not know this - that is a weird thing. I guess N1 wants to minimize buttons and make it more sleek.

There is all that ugly gold detailing on the Droid, which the Nexus doesn't have.
    Did not see this before. That's awful.

just want to add my two cent.

I believe the T-mobile Mytouch is 528Mhz CPU, and at half the speed of Nexus One, it felt soooooo slow...
    That being said if the Droid is 550Mhz CPU.

Compare to Nexus one, I would not like it.

If you like Verizon, then you should wait for Verizon N1!!!
    Nexus One - CyanogenMod-5.0.6-N1
    Amon_RA Recovery v1.7.0
    2.6.33.2-cyanogenmod
    kmobs@ubuntu #3
    BUILD: EPE54B
    Baseband: 32.26.00.24U_4.04.00.03_2
    Swype BETA : NexTHEME Morph
    Juice Defender
    Follow me on Twitter

I heard the droid had a better gpu making gameplay alot smoother

Alright, well, thanks for all of the input! I've thought about this all day (and for the past few months really), and I think I've made a decision.

My fiance and I are both due upgrades in a few days. We both want new phones, but she says she can wait a bit longer - so I think we'll upgrade one now (to the Droid) for cheap and have it for the honeymoon, and then in a few months we might get the N1 for the other line - she said I can have that and she'll take the Droid. She's the best :D But it will still depend on a few things I think... we'll just wait and see.

Edit: was looking at the phones some more, says "with upgrade of primary line", so I'm assuming we can't have her secondary line upgraded later. Will be calling tomorrow to clarify. So far I don't see this terminology on another site I might go with, but it is currently a little more. We might just go for Droids for both of us, it's only $100 and in 2 years time, we'll be seeing Google really ramping it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links