On-Screen Keyboard

This is a discussion on On-Screen Keyboard within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm trying decide between a Nexus One and a GSM Milestone. I would prefer a Nexus One, but a lot turns on keyboard issues. Unfortunately, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-Screen Keyboard

On-Screen Keyboard

I'm trying decide between a Nexus One and a GSM Milestone. I would prefer a Nexus One, but a lot turns on keyboard issues. Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on a Nexus One.

I went to a Verizon store and tried out a Droid, bith the physical keyboard and the onscreen keyboard. The physical keyboard is not great, but usable. The onscreen keyboard seemed overly sensitive. I could barely tell I was touching the screen. It may be because I'm used to a Nokia touchscreen keyboard with haptic feedback, which I think the Nexus One has. However, I found the Droid screen a little hard to use.

Now I understand that any onscreen keyboard takes time to get used to, but I would appreciate impressions of it from Nexus One users.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    I'm trying decide between a Nexus One and a GSM Milestone. I would prefer a Nexus One, but a lot turns on keyboard issues. Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on a Nexus One.

I went to a Verizon store and tried out a Droid, bith the physical keyboard and the onscreen keyboard. The physical keyboard is not great, but usable. The onscreen keyboard seemed overly sensitive. I could barely tell I was touching the screen. It may be because I'm used to a Nokia touchscreen keyboard with haptic feedback, which I think the Nexus One has. However, I found the Droid screen a little hard to use.

Now I understand that any onscreen keyboard takes time to get used to, but I would appreciate impressions of it from Nexus One users.
    For me I found the onscreen keyboard okay and got use to it very easily.

The Nexus One also has a haptic feedback which you can turn off / on.

BTW... there's a recent keyboard app called 'swipe' that makes the typing experience great, which if you get a chance to use; I'm sure you will agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post
    ...there's a recent keyboard app called 'swipe' that makes the typing experience great...
    Searched for "swipe" in Market and nothing by that exact name came up?

Sorry it's not a market app, however...

Best Keyboard for Nexus?

it should be swype

The application is called swype - its not officially released yet - its still in the beta testing stage. Its installed on Samsung's Omnia II and I believe they have a few videos on youtube demonstrating how it works.

There are also ways of getting the beta version through non-official channels...

There are two alternatives: slideit and shapewriter. Both offer text input by sliding your finger over the keys instead of tapping.

Quote Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
    The application is called swype - its not officially released yet - its still in the beta testing stage. Its installed on Samsung's Omnia II and I believe they have a few videos on youtube demonstrating how it works.

There are also ways of getting the beta version through non-official channels...

There are two alternatives: slideit and shapewriter. Both offer text input by sliding your finger over the keys instead of tapping.
    Thanks for correcting my spelling on Swype...

If you check the link I posted up, you can easily download it and try; as myself and a few other members did, and though it's beta this version works well on the Nexus!!

Looks like Better Terminal Emulator ($3.99) uses the Swype keyboard, so that's one way to get it. NRR (no root required.)

This is the link I used...

All you have to do is sign up and they will send download instruction via email.

https://beta.swype.com/android/create/

Free app!!

I like Swype but rarely use it. Its really good for one handed texting, but I always text with both hands usually.

I have the HTC Sense keyboard modded on my phone, but I find the autocorrect to be too uh..... punctual? For my taste? Ahaha. The dictionary corrects EVERYTHING and the auto period after words gets annoying.

I still am using Smart Keyboard Pro as my main keyboard. Decent multi-touch and its uber fast to type on.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. I just pulled the trigger on a Nexus One for AT&T. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links