Google voice users are you still paying for text?

This is a discussion on Google voice users are you still paying for text? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by dixy2k correct, but it works through GV Mobile. If you consider not being notified of new messages as working yes...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google voice users are you still paying for text?

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    correct, but it works through GV Mobile.
    If you consider not being notified of new messages as working yes

I mean you could use that function (SMS), so it works, but there is no "push" app yet for instant notification.

Your thumb would be the push app

This was one of my hopes with this device. Unfortunately, GV in it's current form is not ideal for text messaging. Just like the GV voicemail messages, SMS can be delayed by quite a bit. So back and forth SMS text messagign as you know it now would not really work.

Still, it has it's uses. Especially if you don't normally pay for texting.

I have unlimited data but no texting with att. My friends would never quit texting me which kept costing me money. Sometimes 30 bucks a month. Google voice saved me from paying for text messages. I save an average of 20 bucks every month thanks to Google voice. Now I tell people to text me all you want.

In it's current form GV Mobile and GV Mobile + need a data plan to be able to check if you have a new voicemail or SMS. Otherwise, you'll have to check for voicemail by calling your GV number. Offline SMS is not working (again you need a data plan or wi-fi).

Now, I am sure that N1 is the same without internet access, as GV works online instead of over the air as regular voice and SMS does.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force One View Post
    I have unlimited data but no texting with att. My friends would never quit texting me which kept costing me money. Sometimes 30 bucks a month. Google voice saved me from paying for text messages. I save an average of 20 bucks every month thanks to Google voice. Now I tell people to text me all you want.

I would have to add that they need to text you on your GV number not the AT&T number.

hey, let me jack this thread real quick. since google voice gives you it's own number that you can use using data, can't you theoritically have free "voice calls" as well? so you would only be paying for data and that's it. heck, you can even use your google voice number to ring your HOUSE phone AND YOUR CELL PHONE at the same time.

and another question, would you need a data plan to make these voice calls? the reason why i ask this is because how would it be able to ring your house phone? your house phone doesn't have data on it....

and one last thing. so i'm guessing the calls/texts wont work if you're in a place without data?

sorry for the thread jack, this just seemed an appropriate place after reading your replies.

there is a tread or two about GV.

You must have a voice plan as well, otherwise GV will not work.

There is an alternative to that.
    A data plan and sip account (gizmo5, sipdroid, etc). But those require another phone number too.

My wife and son have iphones on AT&T. I am not paying for messaging as $360. a year for the family messaging is a complete ripoff.
    As long as you have Google voice you can have it forward all SMS to gmail. In Gmail you just create a filter that'll allow you to integrate with GVMax.
    Now using any Google Talk app they can carry on their texting. They get the nice little blue pop up notification that all iphone users are used to getting
    and it automatically opens the google talk app if they choose to reply.

My only complaint is that it doesn't integrate well with your native contacts.
    I may actually do something like this with my Nexus as the Google Voice app only updates every 5 minutes at a minimum.

Isn't Skype SMS a good alternative to GV SMS?
    In terms of notification at least.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links