Google voice users are you still paying for text?

This is a discussion on Google voice users are you still paying for text? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm having a problem with my gvoice txt. I have asked all my friends to stop texting me on my regular number and just to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google voice users are you still paying for text?

I'm having a problem with my gvoice txt. I have asked all my friends to stop texting me on my regular number and just to text me on my gvoice. I dropped my text plan from unlimited to 200 texts. Now when i go onto my service providers website (att) i check to see if i have used any texts. Well, it still shows that i am using up my texts. Does any one know what I might be doing wrong?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jorges View Post
    I'm having a problem with my gvoice txt. I have asked all my friends to stop texting me on my regular number and just to text me on my gvoice. I dropped my text plan from unlimited to 200 texts. Now when i go onto my service providers website (att) i check to see if i have used any texts. Well, it still shows that i am using up my texts. Does any one know what I might be doing wrong?

thanks.
    Do you have GV forward texts to your GV number to your phones? I had this set on my account. Basically if someone texted me on my GV number, it would send the text to my actual phones so that I still got the text locally (if that makes any sense at all). If you go in to your GV settings on a computer, you can disable this setting.
    Bought the AT&T N1.

jaeisber,
    Thanks for the quick response. I changed that setting last week. I just went back to look and it is unchecked under voicemail/sms. But when i looked under phone (advanced settings) it was still checked. I'll uncheck it there and I'm gonna see if that helps. I'll update in a few days.

J

No problem. And that was your problem. The setting under Voicemail/SMS was for Voicemail notifications, not SMS messages. The "Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only)" setting under the phone is what actually forwards SMS messages received on your GV # to your actual phone(s). Unchecking this will stop the usage of texts.

Also, I read an article posted on a Google blog that you should receive a notification almost instantly when you receive a text to your GV number. It looks like they reworked the synchronization to be quicker.

Google Voice for Android Gets Inbox Synchronization : The Google Phone Blog
    Bought the AT&T N1.

The big downer for me is you can't use your google voice number to receive sms from the security apps like lookout, mobile defense or wave secure. I was told google sms does not support all of the sms protocols, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobalu View Post
    The big downer for me is you can't use your google voice number to receive sms from the security apps like lookout, mobile defense or wave secure. I was told google sms does not support all of the sms protocols, or something like that.
    They don't support short codes or an email gateway. I suspect many online sites that use SMS use an email gateway since it is free to send texts that way. The only problem is they need to know your carrier so they can convert your number to a email address. Unfortunately GV doesn't have a way to send through email yet. My guess is they will enable this eventually. As for short codes, Google really needs to do something about this. Otherwise, it will be impossible to completely use GV for all texting.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    From what I read and understand, GV has been removed from the App Store, so do people who have this installed on their iPhone still able to get updates for it?
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    From what I read and understand, GV has been removed from the App Store, so do people who have this installed on their iPhone still able to get updates for it?
    Of course they don't get updates. Not unless they jailbreak and use an app from cydia.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bozzy View Post
    Of course they don't get updates. Not unless they jailbreak and use an app from cydia.
    So basically GV is useless now on the iPhone unless Jailbreak.

SMH at Apple. They wanted so hard to control everything and about to lose everything.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzy View Post
    So basically GV is useless now on the iPhone unless Jailbreak.

SMH at Apple. They wanted so hard to control everything and about to lose everything.
    Thats their own fault, and I hope they do. It really is an understatement when people say that Apple locks the iPhone down...The big advantage of the Android platform (as you all know) is that its open, but not enough people appreciate this fact. Hopefully people start pulling out and restricting apps for the iPhone so it becomes a reality.
    Bought the AT&T N1.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links