What's in store for 2.2 update ?

This is a discussion on What's in store for 2.2 update ? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; HTC EVO 4G is Sprint's Android-powered knight in superphone armor, we go hands-on -- Engadget this kinda killed my excitment for any future updates...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What's in store for 2.2 update ?

:nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by jdd48 View Post
    I am hearing lots of rumors about Exchange calendar and tasks sync being included natively in 3.0. That would be huge for not only the N1, but for Android as a whole. I've seen countless people say they would go N1 in a heartbeat if that one feature alone was included natively. Now if Android 3.0 has full ActiveSync included as well as connectivity for group based Cisco IPSec VPN's, I think the platform would have potential to explode in corporate settings.
    Totally agree, and I am sure the Android development teams knows this. There are many BlackBerry owners looking to jump to a true smart phone, and 3.0 Android could do the trick.

I wonder how far off 3.0 is though ? I am surprised the hottest and most advanced Android phone ever, in the Sprint EVO 4G, will launch still running 2.1, and that phone is not due out in July or August. I would have thought Android would show off 3.0 or what ever the next major update is, and put it on the EVO 4G.

So I am guessing 3.0 is a Holiday release ? I keep reading rumors there will be a slew of new Android phones this Christmas season, with a DROID-2, Nexus-Two, and few others.

3.0 is supposed to be a major upgrade due for first half of 2010. (probably around when iphone 4g releases)

Google Tasks. I really hope they include Google Tasks sync in 3.0. I was surprised not to find it on my Nexus One when I got it, I thought it was a given...considering it is a Google phone. Nevertheless, I do believe Google has Tasks on their task list

Additional Language support. There are plenty of languages that Android owners would love to be able to view on their Nexus One. I think this goes across all Android phones.

Improving Virtual Keyboard. On several occasions I know that I did hit the shift button to capitalize a word and my N1 think the shift key was never pressed. I can actually see the keyboard changing from normal to capitalized to normal mode automatically after pressing the Shift key.

Improve Camera & Music App. Those apps still look 1.0'ish. They definitely need a face lift as mentioned by other users here.

Fix Facebook Notifications. I don't know if it's just me, but I don't get facebook notifications regularly. Sometimes it would work, and many times I have to check to see the notifications on the mobile website.

Android Management PC Software. This is something I find necessary. Android needs a Windows/Linux/Mac software to perform some common tasks like backing up & restoring data on the phone, transferring music, etc.

Lorin Bute
    Quote Originally Posted by AhmedEltawil View Post
    Google Tasks. I really hope they include Google Tasks sync in 3.0. I was surprised not to find it on my Nexus One when I got it, I thought it was a given...considering it is a Google phone. Nevertheless, I do believe Google has Tasks on their task list

Additional Language support. There are plenty of languages that Android owners would love to be able to view on their Nexus One. I think this goes across all Android phones.

Improving Virtual Keyboard. On several occasions I know that I did hit the shift button to capitalize a word and my N1 think the shift key was never pressed. I can actually see the keyboard changing from normal to capitalized to normal mode automatically after pressing the Shift key.

Improve Camera & Music App. Those apps still look 1.0'ish. They definitely need a face lift as mentioned by other users here.

Fix Facebook Notifications. I don't know if it's just me, but I don't get facebook notifications regularly. Sometimes it would work, and many times I have to check to see the notifications on the mobile website.

Android Management PC Software. This is something I find necessary. Android needs a Windows/Linux/Mac software to perform some common tasks like backing up & restoring data on the phone, transferring music, etc.
    I totally agree with you!

I don't want to have to add another software to my computer just to manage a phone. Especially when it isn't necessary. What could be easier than mounting the SD card and dragging files back and forth?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I don't want to have to add another software to my computer just to manage a phone. Especially when it isn't necessary. What could be easier than mounting the SD card and dragging files back and forth?
    True, you can turn off your phone, take out the battery cover, take out the battery, take out your micro SD card and put it in your PC (if you have a media card reader AND an SD card adapter to slide the micro SD card in it), hunt down the proper directory for music and drag your music files in it.

OR you can connect your Nexus One to your PC through the standard USB cable, open up the Android Manager software and let the software detect all music on your computer and sync them to your device's micro SD card.

ALSO, backing up and restoring your Nexus One/Android smartphone is definitely necessary in case you have to perform a "Factory data reset" from which you have to setup your email and install all your previous apps all over again. That's something I don't want to go through if I can just restore my Nexus One to a saved backup on my computer.

True, you can turn off your phone, take out the battery cover, take out the battery, take out your micro SD card and put it in your PC (if you have a media card reader AND an SD card adapter to slide the micro SD card in it), hunt down the proper directory for music and drag your music files in it.

OR you can connect your Nexus One to your PC through the standard USB cable, open up the Android Manager software and let the software detect all music on your computer and sync them to your device's micro SD card.

ALSO, backing up and restoring your Nexus One/Android smartphone is definitely necessary in case you have to perform a "Factory data reset" from which you have to setup your email and install all your previous apps all over again. That's something I don't want to go through if I can just restore my Nexus One to a saved backup on my computer.
    You don't have to do all of that. You can just connect it with your usb cable it came with and mount it, and drag the files in there. I think that's why they included a usb cable for but just correct me if I'm wrong, because that's how I've been doing it since I got my Nexus on February 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by lrsone View Post
    You don't have to do all of that. You can just connect it with your usb cable it came with and mount it, and drag the files in there. I think that's why they included a usb cable for but just correct me if I'm wrong, because that's how I've been doing it since I got my Nexus on February 1st.
    What could be easier than mounting the SD card and dragging files back and forth?
    Oh wow, how did that slip my mind lol. Sorry, yes of course you could connect your Nexus One to your PC and see the Micro SD drive under My Computer and add whatever files to it. That's what I used to do with my BlackBerry Bold too.

But Backup & Restore is something I would love to see as well as Android media sync. It will be nice to see those two features as well as other useful tools packaged into a PC software, at least in my opinion

Back up and Restore will be nice, but I definitely don't want an iTunes-iPhone thing. The thought of having to deal with that makes me cringe.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links