My experience switching from iPhone 3GS to N1

This is a discussion on My experience switching from iPhone 3GS to N1 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey, everyone. I thought Iíd type up a post about my experiences switching from the iPhone 3GS to the new ATT version of the Nexus ...

Thread: My experience switching from iPhone 3GS to N1

My experience switching from iPhone 3GS to N1

Hey, everyone. I thought Iíd type up a post about my experiences switching from the iPhone 3GS to the new ATT version of the Nexus One. Iím going to talk about the process of getting all my information on the Nexus One, what I like about it, and what Google and HTC need to improve on, mostly focused on firmware/software. Iíve had my phone for about two and a half days so keep that in mind; I might find out more things I like/donít like in the future but these are just my initial impressions.

Setting Up/Transferring Files

The Nexus One was pretty easy to set up. I was originally planning on getting software to keep my google account services and iCal/Address Book on the mac in sync, but instead decided to just migrate everything over to google and then take it from there. Exporting iCal/Address book to google was super easy and basic. iTunes was a bit harder. Like many people, I thought DoubleTwist was the solution. It ended up being far more complicated than it should have been. There are a lot of weird interactions between two libraries for music that I didnít feel like dealing with. The fact that it stopped syncing when it was ľ through transferring my music didnít make me want to stick with it any more. From a google search result (it could have been on this forum, I forget), I found the program iSyncr. Itís a program that is on your MicroSD card that interfaces with iTunes and syncs over your library and playlists. All you need to do is mount your MicroSD card and run the program. Itís pretty easy from there. It costs somewhere between $3-5. Well worth it.

Facebook has a nice feature that integrates with your contacts. It adds the ability to view their profile right from the contacts. If a contactís picture isnít showing up even though you know youíre their facebook friend, all you need to do is go to the contact, touch menu, then ďjoinĒ.

What I like about the Nexus One over the iPhone

The obvious answer is the screen. Itís incredible and you canít believe the resolution improvement until you see it. Itís like going from a standard definition tv to an HD one.

Customizability. This is really great. The iPhone is such a closed OS that itís refreshing to get to an OS you can cutom-tailor to your needs. I have my homescreen set up the way I want and the way that works best for me, not the way that works best for Apple.

Notications. The notifications bar is excellent. I love the way text messages are previewed on the top and donít interrupt whatever youíre doing. The drawer is a great idea that I really like. This is light years ahead of the iPhone though I suspect the next version of the iPhone OS will fix this problem.

Speech to text. Googleís voice recognition being built in to everywhere that has a text box is really cool and actually makes typing things faster for me.

Integration with everything Google. This is great. Gmail works amazingly well, everything syncs up nicely.

What Google/HTC need to fixÖnow

Email app: The non-gmail app is absolute crap. Itís buggy and it wonít let you forward emails with attachments. It wonít let you attach anything other than something in your gallery. It's not opening a .doc file right now for some reason. A .docx file is opening perfectly though.

Some lag/scrolling issues: Thereís no excuse with a 1ghz processor. Things should be smoother than the iPhone. The overall speed of the N1 is great, I just wish it was more apparent.

Browser: It needs better window management. I know you can get this in dolphin browser, but it should be in the default one. It takes far too many screen presses to manage your windows and close them. Even in the open windows screen, you don't know which one you're currently viewing so I often have to go back and check which one not to close. Terribly designed. I do love the thumbnail view for bookmarks, though.

Apps page: When youíre home and you press the button that takes you to your apps. I appreciate the fact that they tried to add some eye-candy with the 3D effect, but the notchiness is bugging the hell out of me. It should be smooth scrolling. Itís notchy now. The lines of apps want to fit into virtual grooves instead of just naturally stopping. This is really annoying.

Calendar: The calendar application is terrible, point blank. The month view is horrendous and the fact that the calendar is not searchable is unbelievable. This is google, the world leader in search, and I can't search for something that I could on my literally 9 year old Palm device?

Quick search: This is not nearly as fast as the iPhone. It takes multiple seconds for results to pop up. On the iPhone, the search results are there as you type, instantly. Again, this has a 1ghz processor, searches should be far faster and more efficient.

Music player: Looks like itís 10 years old. It works, but itís way outdated

ďHardwareĒ buttons: These need to be more consistent. Sometimes theyíre sensitive, other times it takes me 5 presses to get them to work. I do like the haptic feedback though, thatís really important and useful.

Favorite Apps

-SplashID for passwords and password syncing
    -Astrid for todo
    -Evernote for note-taking
    -Google Finance
    -Ringdroid for taking music and turning it into ringtone/notification sounds
    -Sportstap for music. even updates on the notification bar
    -NBA Gametime Lite
    -Movies by Flixster
    -TubeDownload (downloads youtube videos as mp3's)

Unresolved issues

I want to be able to sync iPhoto and gallery seamlessly. Any way to do this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Thanks for all that info.

I get my N1 tomorrow and I'm a little unimpressed by your review on the calendar. I just spent 30 mins last night moving from a paper agenda to the google calendar in anticipation of my n1... maybe I shouldn't get rid of my paper one just yet... I was looking forwar

I' m sure a more experienced user is going to jump on and tell you all the apps you can get to solve your issues with the phone.

How's the camera? I thought the camera on my 3gs was OK, and on my BB 8900 horrible. I'm looking forward to a 5mp camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
    What Google/HTC need to fixÖnow

Some lag/scrolling issues: Thereís no excuse with a 1ghz processor. Things should be smoother than the iPhone. The overall speed of the N1 is great, I just wish it was more apparent.
    Root your phone. It will speed it up a lot, from what I've heard the lag is in the OS. It appearently only uses a small amount of the available memory and the rest is just sitting there, unuseable. Pretty stupid thing for HTC/Google to do, but it seems to be one of several flaws that lead many to root the phone. I haven't done it yet, but plan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Root your phone. It will speed it up a lot, from what I've heard the lag is in the OS. It appearently only uses a small amount of the available memory and the rest is just sitting there, unuseable. Pretty stupid thing for HTC/Google to do, but it seems to be one of several flaws that lead many to root the phone. I haven't done it yet, but plan on it.
    I'll probably just wait until Google releases new software that optimizes the performance of the N1. Not worth it to me to mess around with my only phone. At least I know the hardware is very good and google, being an amazing software company, should fix everything.

Im in the same boat comming from the 3GS. I do hate how sometime when you close apps the transition isn't always smooth like the iPhones. I realy hope google release a software update to fix the lag, receptions issues, and screen sensativity if these are all indeed software issues.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links