Nexus one network settings optimization

This is a discussion on Nexus one network settings optimization within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi there, I'm a newly registered member here but have been lurking around for a while now since I got my N1. And I had ...

Thread: Nexus one network settings optimization

Nexus one network settings optimization

Hi there, I'm a newly registered member here but have been lurking around for a while now since I got my N1.
    And I had just one simple question.
    I'm looking to cut back on my battery consumption and understand that the N1 radio can be somewhat of a hog.
    So here's my question: Do I best set my preferred network type to gsm or wcdma? Knowing that I'm not on a mobile broadband subscription anyway, so the only internet I'll be getting will be through wifi anyway.
    I would assume the GSM option is the way to go but then again I read that it's a 3G phone so forcing it in GSM only might actually put more strain on the radio or smth and result in more battery loss.
    Using the phone the way I do, will I notice a difference in call quality, text send speed/reliability or anything else when using wcdma instead of gsm?

I should perhaps also mention that I'm using the US unlocked version of N1 and that I'm located in Belgium, on the proximus network.

Any help or knowledge you can offer will be greatly appreciated

Edit: Just to be clear I'm editing my settings through the '3646'-interface.
    Some of my other options besides gsm or wcdma include:
    CDMA only
    GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
    EvDo only

But I wouldn't know what any of those would do.. anyone?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

cxm
    I haven't really noticed any difference between "WCDMA preferred" and "GSM" in terms of battery life. The most important thing is to make sure that you have mobile data turned off (I use apndroid to rename the apns but there are others) and keep bluetooth and gps off unless needed. I also have the screen set to automatic brightness.

text and voice should be identical whichever network you connect to - it is just mobile data speed that is affected

Hey thanks for your response but I do beleive there's some difference between wcdma and gsm, if only slight. Only thing I've noticed so far is a slight increase in speed when running USSD codes on wcdma. But havn't been able to test call quality or anything else so far.

But now riddle me this:
    I've set my network to gsm only and disabled everything else I could. No gps, network, screen brightness minimum etc. And I locked my phone for many hours, completely not using it in any way. After many hours I unlocked it to find 20% battery has been drained. When I check my battery use it says 40% cell standby (so the phone's radio) and 37% phone idle.
    I was just wondering wether this is normal, losing that much battery without using anything. My phone shouldn't have any problems connecting to my network, I always get full bars. Perhaps because I stored it in the neop sleeve head-first, the radio had to send out a stronger signal? o_O

I'll try to do this exact same test tomorrow on wcdma

cxm
    Quote Originally Posted by Teknologic View Post
    Hey thanks for your response but I do beleive there's some difference between wcdma and gsm, if only slight. Only thing I've noticed so far is a slight increase in speed when running USSD codes on wcdma. But havn't been able to test call quality or anything else so far.

But now riddle me this:
    I've set my network to gsm only and disabled everything else I could. No gps, network, screen brightness minimum etc. And I locked my phone for many hours, completely not using it in any way. After many hours I unlocked it to find 20% battery has been drained. When I check my battery use it says 40% cell standby (so the phone's radio) and 37% phone idle.
    I was just wondering wether this is normal, losing that much battery without using anything. My phone shouldn't have any problems connecting to my network, I always get full bars. Perhaps because I stored it in the neop sleeve head-first, the radio had to send out a stronger signal? o_O

I'll try to do this exact same test tomorrow on wcdma
    not sure I can answer your question - but by comparison - I leave my phone on over night and only lose about 4% charge over 8 hours - so a 20% loss of charge sounds like quite a lot - are you sure there isn't maybe a rogue app stopping the phone from sleeping properly? A month or so after I got my phone I had a bit of an app clear out and that helped my battery life no end, though I never quite got to the bottom of what was causing the problem.

No I kill my apps regularly and checking the battery use after the 20 % loss most of it was cell standy and phone idle. Only like 2-4% of it was claimed by Android OS and Android System (which are the apps i presume).
    Thanks for confirming at least that 20% is alot, now I'm hoping to be able to do smth about it.
    Seeing as most of my battery was apparently drained by the radio, I'll try the same thing as yesterday but now with wcdma instead of gsm. I don't have high hopes of that fixing my problem, but it's all I've got for now so I'm hoping to at least be able to see some difference.

By the way, anyone know what exactly "Phone Idle" is when you check battery usage?

Thanks for the help!

By the way, anyone know what exactly "Phone Idle" is when you check battery usage?

Thanks for the help!
    Basically, the phone activity while it's waiting to be used...

This would be a good place to look to see how much a app or apps are consuming battery while the phone is idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post

Thanks for the help!
    Basically, the phone activity while it's waiting to be used...

This would be a good place to look to see how much a app or apps are consuming battery while the phone is idle.
    Thanks. Is there a way to check which app specifically uses the phone? Because I thought apps shouldn't be running while the phone was in standy.. and it should've been in standy when being locked for like 8 hours, right?

Sorry I'm new to all this and I really want to understand my phone

'Advanced Task Killer' is one of a few market app that you can download and see / stop what is running within the Nexus.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links