Will Tzones work on the Nexus S?

This is a discussion on Will Tzones work on the Nexus S? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Will Tzones data plan work on the Nexus S?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Tzones work on the Nexus S?

Will Tzones work on the Nexus S?

Will Tzones data plan work on the Nexus S?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

112 views not a single thought or conjecture worth posting? come on. lol

The T-Zones daypass data plan doesn't work all that well on the N1, and it is a T-Mobile problem. I can't imagine why there would be any difference with the Nexus S.

Quote Originally Posted by flower View Post
    It depends on the network.....
    Tzones... Tmobile only... im confused by your statement.

Also don't know what a tzones dayplan is...

of course, until the Nexus S is released, we can't answer the question. T-zones is no longer sold.

For me, I can say that the old t-zones internet plan from T-mobile works GREAT on my N1. For $6/month (I have a very old plan), I can get 3G speed on my N1. On an unlocked iPhone I can still get EDGE network, which really feels alot slower than the 3G I get.

I can also say that phones that shipped retail, block the use of the T-Zones plan, including Samsung Vibrant and MyTouch. This is not because of technology, but rather because Tmo does not allow that phone model to be used with that plan at all, not even the slower EDGE. As a result the user is required to get newer data plan for $30.

My *guess* would be that the new NS will likely not allow T-zones. At this point it is still opinion. At least not the version being sold at Best Buy. If you are a developer and get it from the developer web site, maybe it will, just like the N1.

Talking

T-zone is sold for $10 now. I would know because i just got it and it works great on my N1.

Am not really sure how we're able to use the N1 on the T-zone plan but my guess is that T-mobile is not able to block anything from it since the N1 was sold unlocked.

The Nexus s is going to be unlocked or you can buy it from t-mobile for half the price but am guessing that t-mobile is going to mess with it and lock the best features like VoIP/sip calls or tethering and hotspot. so that would mean that you are probably not going to be able to use the T-zone plan.

but then again am only guessing...

Tzones is an older Tmobile marketing name that has covered a variety of technologies. I have an N1 with a Tmobile prepaid plan, and I can buy a $1.50 "day pass" for data access via cellular. This service is having teething problems right now, nothing to do with the N1.

When I access the service page via the N1, it's called web2go. Under an older dumb phone, it's called Tzones.

Sorry if this has nothing to do with your question. If so, you might explain what Tzones means to you.

Quote Originally Posted by xRayx View Post
    The Nexus s is going to be unlocked or you can buy it from t-mobile for half the price but am guessing that t-mobile is going to mess with it and lock the best features like VoIP/sip calls or tethering and hotspot. so that would mean that you are probably not going to be able to use the T-zone plan.

but then again am only guessing...
    All N1s are unlocked, even those sold with T-mobile contracts. The OS is pure Android, and I would expect the Nexus S to be the same.

Even so, it's easy for a service provider to prevent tethering and hotspots at their end of the connection - any attached browser will send an identification string.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post
    Even so, it's easy for a service provider to prevent tethering and hotspots at their end of the connection - any attached browser will send an identification string.
    If that's the case why hasn't T-mobile blocked tethering and hotspots for the N1, I mean they have done it to all of their Devices.

For example the HTC Evo on Sprint, tethering and hotspots are blocked, you have to pay for that service unless you Root.

I was using the t-zones $6 plan on my N1 for months at 3G speeds, the APN I was using was epc.tmobile.com and this allowed for fast speeds and all features including tethering. I was previously using an iPhone at EDGE speed on this same APN.
    One night I was tethering 3G to my laptop and streaming a ton of video. By later that morning I was getting a message from my browser that my current data plan was incompatible with my device.

I called T-Mobile and ended up having to switch to a $10 web2go plan. For it to work on this plan I have to use APN internet2.voicestream.com and every feature except MMS works the same as before. Its kind of annoying because I have to switch back to epc.tmobile.com just to send and receive mms, then switch back if I want to use any other internet related service, but it definitely beats a $20-$30 monthly data plan.
    Anyway iwould say be wary of the t-zones exploit and don't expect it to work forever, especially if you use a lot of data, but enjoy it while it lasts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links