What's so special about Nexus S (or Nexus One)?

This is a discussion on What's so special about Nexus S (or Nexus One)? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by mwhit42 To me, this phone is a huge dissappointment. The Nexus phones are supposed to be cutting edge in both software AND ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's so special about Nexus S (or Nexus One)?

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhit42 View Post
    To me, this phone is a huge dissappointment. The Nexus phones are supposed to be cutting edge in both software AND hardware. While Gingerbread is nice, the hardware specs of this phone are extremely disappointing. No 4g? No dual-led 8mp camera? No HDMI slot, or even a projector? No dual-core proccessor? And no SD card slot?

I only got two words for Google: NO THANKS.

I will keep my Nexus One and wait for a real cutting-edge Android phone to come out. The Nexus S has ruined the Nexus name.

Google does not make phones. They make the software for the phone. They do not need to showcase hardware that is not in the mass yet. People can say that about this phone but look at what happened to the N1. It was release and several month later there were a sleuth of hardware advancements, and even then they are not fully supported by Google on Froyo now. People on EVO still can't use the front camera on apps, the hardware is ahead of it's time. I think that although they could have pushed some more feats, it's not entirely bad. The big thing right now is the video, as obviously as it seems, as compared to the Tegra 2. I think Google kept in mind of the 2010 phones capabilities of benefiting from Gingerbread as well. HDMI outputs? How bout DNLA support. Super AMOLED screen, indie GPU, NFC capabilites. That is alot of support more than what people are really noticing with hardware.

What phone is out there with Tegra 2? That's a completely different processor and hardware that even the tablets that are out now are having problems running Froyo on. Tegra IMHO will not be good for Android until Honeycomb when more Tegra 2 phones will be present. Google has to present a platform for what is stable Present and at that moment that is Hummingbird or Cortex a8.

You have to look at things from the inside out. While some there's are reasonable, the company has to do what is practical. And although I don't agree, I can understand.

Remember people was concerned that N1 wasn't even going to get GB because of specs. If the Nexus S was the spec we wished, than no one with a N1 would be able to enjoy Gingerbread. It's either or at this moment.
    Androidfied.

This is a video I shot back in April... just few months ago.. I was so proud of my Nexus One.. haha

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBXS2GLfiTs]YouTube - Nexus One vs Droid[/ame]

How disappointing. I expected more from the hardware and will be skipping out on this one.

EVO, EPIC 4G, Galaxy Continuum (I like the ticket bar) or the whole galasy S seems to have more to offer than Nexus S.. only they are not getting Android 2.3.
    YET. They're not getting 2.3 yet. However, I'm sure they will eventually, and pretty soon there will be a way to manually update your phone online (whether or not google authorizes it).

Google does not make phones. They make the software for the phone. They do not need to showcase hardware that is not in the mass yet.
    Right, but they also don't need to showcase an outdated, impractical slow piece of junk either. I mean, seriously - no 4g? What the hell is the point of testing the new software if you can't do it with the new 4g networks? Dumb move by Google.

T-Mob's MyTouch 4g is beginning to look a bit more appealing every day.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    People on EVO still can't use the front camera on apps, the hardware is ahead of it's time.
    Huh? That's a total fallacy. My brother has one and it works just fine on Qik, Tango, and Fring.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mwhit42 View Post
    YET. They're not getting 2.3 yet. However, I'm sure they will eventually, and pretty soon there will be a way to manually update your phone online (whether or not google authorizes it).
    I don't think it's Google. After google released the latest Android, the manufacturer has to modify the UI on top of it to make it work for their phone. Thus, there's the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by PacoBell View Post
    People on EVO still can't use the front camera on apps, the hardware is ahead of it's time.
    Huh? That's a total fallacy. My brother has one and it works just fine on Qik, Tango, and Fring.

I have heard of people not being able to. People can't even use the function on the the Galaxy Tab. Whether they updated software on their side is the reason they can now, but I have heard of people not be able to, and if it fully available why is Google building support for it in Gingerbread?

So are you SURE it's working for the front camera cause everyone I talk to has state the programs including Yahoo messenger only works with the back cam.

Now there's is a possible the the support hasn't been built yet for certain phones, but I know a personal specifically that couldn't get Fring to work with his front camera.
    Androidfied.

Here's a Fring Forum explaining people not being able to use the front facing camera

[ame=http://www.fring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17111]Video chat uses rear view camera instead of front camera - fring forums[/ame]
    Androidfied.

So are you SURE it's working for the front camera cause everyone I talk to has state the programs including Yahoo messenger only works with the back cam.
    I'm sure. It's one of the first things we tried out when he received his Evo. I used Market Enabler to download a copy of the Sprint Qik app and we video chatted with him using his FFC and me standing in front of a mirror with my N1's RFC. Heh, really makes me wish someone made a snap-on "periscope" case for the N1 so I could use the full resolution of the RFC for video chat on-the-go.

Here's a Fring Forum explaining people not being able to use the front facing camera

Video chat uses rear view camera instead of front camera - fring forums
    That's a really old thread. A lot's happened since August. You might want to try out the most recent version.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links