What's so special about Nexus S (or Nexus One)?

This is a discussion on What's so special about Nexus S (or Nexus One)? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by PacoBell Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth Here's a Fring Forum explaining people not being able to use the front facing camera Video chat ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's so special about Nexus S (or Nexus One)?

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PacoBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Here's a Fring Forum explaining people not being able to use the front facing camera

Video chat uses rear view camera instead of front camera - fring forums
    That's a really old thread. A lot's happened since August. You might want to try out the most recent version.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    I've tried using Fring on my tablet. No go. It's not built in yet. Same on my Yahoo Messenger. It may be that support will for better supported on more builds. And I can't use a FFC on my Nexus One
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhit42 View Post
    To me, this phone is a huge dissappointment. The Nexus phones are supposed to be cutting edge in both software AND hardware. While Gingerbread is nice, the hardware specs of this phone are extremely disappointing. No 4g? No dual-led 8mp camera? No HDMI slot, or even a projector? No dual-core proccessor? And no SD card slot?

I only got two words for Google: NO THANKS.

I will keep my Nexus One and wait for a real cutting-edge Android phone to come out. The Nexus S has ruined the Nexus name.

Google does not make phones. They make the software for the phone. They do not need to showcase hardware that is not in the mass yet. People can say that about this phone but look at what happened to the N1. It was release and several month later there were a sleuth of hardware advancements, and even then they are not fully supported by Google on Froyo now. People on EVO still can't use the front camera on apps, the hardware is ahead of it's time. I think that although they could have pushed some more feats, it's not entirely bad. The big thing right now is the video, as obviously as it seems, as compared to the Tegra 2. I think Google kept in mind of the 2010 phones capabilities of benefiting from Gingerbread as well. HDMI outputs? How bout DNLA support. Super AMOLED screen, indie GPU, NFC capabilites. That is alot of support more than what people are really noticing with hardware.

What phone is out there with Tegra 2? That's a completely different processor and hardware that even the tablets that are out now are having problems running Froyo on. Tegra IMHO will not be good for Android until Honeycomb when more Tegra 2 phones will be present. Google has to present a platform for what is stable Present and at that moment that is Hummingbird or Cortex a8.

You have to look at things from the inside out. While some there's are reasonable, the company has to do what is practical. And although I don't agree, I can understand.

Remember people was concerned that N1 wasn't even going to get GB because of specs. If the Nexus S was the spec we wished, than no one with a N1 would be able to enjoy Gingerbread. It's either or at this moment.
    +1

And I am kinda confused about honeycomb. I know that i will be optimized for tablets, but what about smart phones? I assuming there are two versions of honeycomb.

And I don't know why people are complaining, clearly google is not ready to optimize dual core for smart phones yet, or they would of waited to showcase the Nexus S with honeycomb. And is there even a need for dual-core yet? Either way I think there is enough change that make me want to pick up the Nexus S!!!

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gone View Post
    +1

And I am kinda confused about honeycomb. I know that i will be optimized for tablets, but what about smart phones? I assuming there are two versions of honeycomb.

And I don't know why people are complaining, clearly google is not ready to optimize dual core for smart phones yet, or they would of waited to showcase the Nexus S with honeycomb. And is there even a need for dual-core yet? Either way I think there is enough change that make me want to pick up the Nexus S!!!
    I have no idea to be honest. I think GB is to allow for better app support for tablets and I'm thinking HC will be more OS support for Tablets.
    Androidfied.

i'll be sticking with my N1.

I've had the phone nearly a year and i'm still on the standard roms, once GB is out and i've had a mess around with that, i shall root the phone and probably spend the next year messing around with various roms. I'm only just scratching the surface with what this phone can do so see no need to go and splash out on the NS.

By the time the next year is up the specs for the next generation of nexus will hopefully be released and i'll be buying into a proper "next gen" handset.

I've always had 18-24 months out of any handset so see no reason not to follow that with the N1.

hi Guy's. sorry to but in but surely. the main thing is they swap to Samsung from HTC and from my experience. of repairing. and selling samsungs over the last 12 years in our shops in Britain there's. a quality build issue with Samsung the HTC is a far better made phone. and why jump ships now? The new HTC desire HD in Britain. is the way to go.
    we have had nothing but problems with the Samsung galaxy s it seems as if they have spent 445 on the screen and 5 on the rest of the phone bits keep falling off it ie buttons. stick to what you know build on quality. hysterical God knows they spent enough telling us the build quality. was amazing. on the web adds. anyway what do I know I only been in the mobile phone game for 12years +

wait for january 5th dual core phones are coming out also with gingerbread! dont waste your money on this galaxy S wannabe phone its horrible its a nexus one in a galaxy S body

Quote Originally Posted by Zindol View Post
    I too want to know. Should I pay for this? Or is there something better not too far away?
    bro dont waste your money wait after january 5th the real hardcore phones are coming out and the nexus S is only going to be a piece of trash in those days!

totally. agree but we in Britain will have to wait a little longer no dual core coming on HTC till later on in the year

K6H
    I don't think anyone should be too concerned about the disappointment of the Nexus S. I think this is more of an experimental, stop gap phone for Google, to update the functionality of the Nexus 1 and keep a flow of new customers to its unlocked selling model. No point Google customers having the perception that they are buying a dated phone? This is also maybe to get the ball rolling for greater adoption of NFC by other manufacturers and the like.
    If Google themselves thought this was a groundbreaking phone, wouldn't they have called it the Nexus 2, or the Xenon 1 or some such? Just like Microsoft Vista was always going to be a stop gap until the actual Windows 7 version released.
    I have no doubt that such a phone will be released, probably in 6 months or so (seeing as Google do things so quickly) and when the software is at version 3. Not 2.3!

I just read the 400 page plus Gingerbread manual. I'm just questioning why should I even do an update to FRGD. Why? 80 per cent of the functionality is exactly what I have now. Will it be faster, slicker, I don't know. I bought the N1 10 months ago, and am still discovering the useful things I can do with it.

I'm not prepared to pay the same as I paid 10 months ago for a cosmetic evolution.
    Will my N1 be 20% faster. Will the battery last 30% longer ? Who knows. Hell, I'll just await the end of life cycle , casting a sly eye on the next iPhone towards the end.

TerD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links