Is tethering/mobile hotspot still free?

This is a discussion on Is tethering/mobile hotspot still free? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; I assumed that, like the Nexus One, since the Nexus S was unlocked and not directly tied to any carrier, carriers wouldn't be able to ...

Thread: Is tethering/mobile hotspot still free?

Is tethering/mobile hotspot still free?

I assumed that, like the Nexus One, since the Nexus S was unlocked and not directly tied to any carrier, carriers wouldn't be able to restrict the hotspot/tethering features. I also remember that on the official Nexus S website, the hotspot section of the "Features" page, as well as the accompanying video, stated that you could use the feature without additional carrier fees. However, I just read this CNET article (Tethering and a hot spot on the Nexus S | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs) and it says that T-mobile will charge $14.99 a month. It also appears that Google updated the Nexus S website adding an asterisk saying that carrier fees may apply (although the video still says that you can use it without additional carrier fees). So what's the deal? Using the hotspot for free was one of the biggest advantages of the Nexus One, and it would really suck if it weren't also true for the Nexus S.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Well t-mo like to charge people for things and they know when you are tethering because they can identify the browser your using and they know if its a mobile one or a pc one so they immobilised that so they can charge. They started doing this to certain people with nexus ones too. But it will be fine on other carriers because they don`t seem to like being @ss holes like t-mo so they don`t charge you for it.

As for the carrier fees don`t know what you are talking about and don`t have time to read the article right now but will read later and come back to you on that.

Does this apply to rooted also? Can they still know what kind of browser is using the mobile hotspot?

This is not a nexus S or nexus one issue. It is a Gingerbread Issue. All unlocked phones using stock android will be able to tether freely. I heard the rumors about T-mobile blocking Tethering, I can tell u that it is not true. and free tethering is available on T-mobile with any unlocked phone running stock Froyo or Gingerbread.

Nice explanation, thanks for the info birdeye...

A lot of peoples are getting throttled for going over the 5GB even with "unlimited" plan.
    I haven't been block but than I only have been tethering a little to test out the feature and no where near the 5GB.
    So I don't think you'll get blocked for Tethering but will get throttled for going over the limit.
    Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly ROM

T-mobile does have a throttling policy which means they decrease ur 3g speed if u pass 5gb of data use per month. it has nothing to do with tethering. Its true also if u pass 5gb on ur cell phone.
    Anyways, T-mobile informs u via SMS whenever ur close to 5gb and about to be throttled down for the rest of the month. once the next month cycle arrives the speed returns to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by birdeye View Post
    T-mobile does have a throttling policy which means they decrease ur 3g speed if u pass 5gb of data use per month. it has nothing to do with tethering. Its true also if u pass 5gb on ur cell phone.
    Anyways, T-mobile informs u via SMS whenever ur close to 5gb and about to be throttled down for the rest of the month. once the next month cycle arrives the speed returns to normal.
    Thanks, good to know. Can't imaging going over 5GB with a cell phone
    but I guess it does happened.:D
    Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly ROM

Ads