Advantage of buying the unlocked Nexus S

This is a discussion on Advantage of buying the unlocked Nexus S within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi, I'm currently with Tmobile and have no plans to change carriers. Also I'm eligible for an upgrade (discounted phone). Also I'm in the loyalty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advantage of buying the unlocked Nexus S

Advantage of buying the unlocked Nexus S

Hi,

I'm currently with Tmobile and have no plans to change carriers. Also I'm eligible for an upgrade (discounted phone). Also I'm in the loyalty plan (49.99 for unlimited talk) and I can add android data for $15. This is the best combination, since I use my phone for work and don't plan to do a lot of web surfing. Most of the web surfing would happen at home via home wireless network.

I was wondering if there is any reason why I should not get a discounted phone with a two year contract. I spoke to the TMobile associate and he wasn't very helpful. He went on to say that they would not guarantee proper working, such as speed, other functionality and service, if I get the unlocked version. That sounded a little shady.

What are the benefits of buying the unlocked version? Am I going to lose any functionality or maximum speed if I get the unlocked version?

Also I heard the Nexus S has the unadulterated Android OS. That is, the OS has not been tampered by the carrier. So am I to assume that the discounted version has a tmobile modified OS, while the unlocked one has pure Google Android? Is there any benefit with respect to future upgrades etc with respect to buying the unlocked version?

Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

All Nexus S phones come unlocked and only work on TMO 3G data. So it doesn't matter whether you buy as an upgrade or non contract it is the same phone.
    As to a modified OS, all of them are a lil different depending on the manufacturer but if you purchase any NEXUS phone it was developed strictly for the Google android experience and will receive any updates before any other android phone. Nexus One was first to receive FROYO.
    Either way in my opinion you can't go wrong unless you wanna wait for a dual core phone which isn't til next year.

mysimplemobile.com is the advantage.. $60 for unlimited everything

that and the fact that I HATE contracts.. they're pointless.. in the end you pay more.

$199 + 24 * (500 Minutes Talk + Text + Unlimited Web Even More) $79.99 = $2,118.76 (plus tax)

$529 + 24 * (Unlimited Everything simple mobile ) $60 (no tax, its a flat charge)= $1969

a savings of WELL over $150 (since tax wasnt added on tmo monthly) over 2 years without minute restrictions

You get more and pay far less for the identical service since simple is an MVNO of tmo

Quote Originally Posted by suchintha View Post
    Hi,

He went on to say that they would not guarantee proper working, such as speed, other functionality and service, if I get the unlocked version. That sounded a little shady.

Thanks.
    bull****. Of course they want to stick you in their 2 year contract plan. Besides, I think that since it's Tmo, the Market is different. It comes with Tmo apps of some other **** related with Tmo. So, that's not 100% virgin Andriod from Google.

Thank you for your replies. One more question. I just called TMobile and they said if I want to use my home WIFI to browse the internet, I have to pay $14.99 in addition to the data plan? Is that right? Sounds like a rip-off if I have to pay extra to use my own WIFI, without using any wireless data.

Iphone users are able to use their home WIFI without any additional costs.

I'm wondering if the TMo Sales guy was trying to sign me up for useless services.

Thank you for your replies. One more question. I just called TMobile and they said if I want to use my home WIFI to browse the internet, I have to pay $14.99 in addition to the data plan? Is that right? Sounds like a rip-off if I have to pay extra to use my own WIFI, without using any wireless data.

I'm wondering if the TMo Sales guy was trying to sign me up for useless services.
    TMO reps are such idiots and full of crap. The phone you can use on any wifi setup. Why would u have to pay to use your phone on your wifi setup. U pay for a data plan to get 3G coverage to browse the web and download data wherever you get a phone signal. Using your home wifi setup costs nothing when using your home wifi.

MEGA BS! No!, they are completely wrong. You are free and clear to use your phone on Tmo or any other carrier with your home WiFi at no cost. AT NO COST!
    I can't believe their reps are so misinformed. My best guess is that they confused using your home WiFi with tethering your phone Internet Access.
    Something similar happened to me on AT&T. The stupid rep told I wasn't able to send international SMS when buying a feature package. I bought one and here I am sending international SMS at no extra cost. I bet the lazy rep just went to AT&T's website and told me what it said there.

Simple mobiles data is not unlimited its capped at 1gb.

i have just upgraded my contract and got the nexus s on the 16th and i have the unlimited loyalty plan with the unlimited web for 20 $ everything is working fine and flawless the phone is the same as if u bought it for 529$ so dont let T-mobile reps scam u , plus th 15$ wifi that they were talking about it probabley they were talking about the eifi untehered hot spot from ur phone so that u can use the 3g network from ur phone as a wifi source for ur laptop and this also a scam cuz there is no charge for it with the nexus s since this is a pure vanilla gingerbread so t-mobile doesn't have any control over it unlikely with my touch 4g that require you to pay for it before u use it

Quote Originally Posted by rozza108 View Post
    i have just upgraded my contract and got the nexus s on the 16th and i have the unlimited loyalty plan with the unlimited web for 20 $ everything is working fine and flawless the phone is the same as if u bought it for 529$ so dont let T-mobile reps scam u , plus th 15$ wifi that they were talking about it probabley they were talking about the eifi untehered hot spot from ur phone so that u can use the 3g network from ur phone as a wifi source for ur laptop and this also a scam cuz there is no charge for it with the nexus s since this is a pure vanilla gingerbread so t-mobile doesn't have any control over it unlikely with my touch 4g that require you to pay for it before u use it
    Hi,

How are you able to get unlimited data for $20? That is a pretty nice deal for unlimited data. I didn't see it online and when I called they said it is $30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links