Nexus S Root - Koush Method

This is a discussion on Nexus S Root - Koush Method within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Day 1 and root has already been achieved on the Nexus S, amazing isn't it? Credit goes out to Koush for the step by step ...

Thread: Nexus S Root - Koush Method

dandroid

Nexus S Root - Koush Method

Day 1 and root has already been achieved on the Nexus S, amazing isn't it? Credit goes out to Koush for the step by step instructions:

First, reboot into your bootloader/fastboot mode. (Volume + Power Up, or adb reboot bootloader)

fastboot oem unlock
    Then, install this recovery:

http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recover...rk-herring.img

fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-herring.img
    Then boot into Clockwork recovery and install the Superuser zip file (adb reboot recovery, or from fastboot choose recovery):

[APP] Superuser 2.3.6.1 - Now on the Market [2010-09-05] - xda-developers

To install a rooted/insecure boot image (adb has root):
    http://koush.tandtgaming.com//samsun...g/rootboot.img

fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
    Source: XDA

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Thanks to Koush.

The steps are fine for those who have rooted an Android phone before. Hopefully at some point we will have a more detailed set of instructions for first timers.

Does this rooting unlock bootloader? Also, can I unroot if I need to send it back in? I want to do it since I want to use some apps that requires rooting. Also, will I still get regular OTA's?

Quote Originally Posted by Kits2GR View Post
    Does this rooting unlock bootloader? Also, can I unroot if I need to send it back in? I want to do it since I want to use some apps that requires rooting. Also, will I still get regular OTA's?
    Yes it does unlock the bootloader its the old fashion way if you don`t want to then wait there will surely be a one click in a week or two, max by new year I think. You will have the bootloader unlocked so no you can`t send it back. You will have to flash the OTAs I believe.

can anyone help me with the sdk?

i can't get it to work!
    Rooted Nexus One
    Amon_RA-nexus-v2.0.0
    32.50.00.32U_5.12.00.08 Korean Radio
    Wildmonk's 2.6.35.9_SVS-950mV_CFS_AXI_720p_1152MHz_120210
    MIUI ROM 0.11.26
    SWG V1.2 Theme

Follow Me On Twitter

When I type fastboot devices in the cmd I get an error message. I think it may be because the driver but I downloaded revision 4 from the sdk manager. The driver functions properly unless I have it in debugging mode. Anyone know whats wrong????

Quote Originally Posted by ssells View Post
    Thanks to Koush.

The steps are fine for those who have rooted an Android phone before. Hopefully at some point we will have a more detailed set of instructions for first timers.
    Thanks to the guys at and xda-developers.com and nexusoneforum.net I was able to successfully root my Nexus S. It was pretty easy but there were a few problems. So you want to know how? This guide is for educational uses only. I, nor this forum, will accept responsibility for damaged or bricked phones. Modify the software at your own risk. Also educate yourself on the topic. It's better to have more than one reference. This method worked for me, but it will not for everyone.

1. Download the files you will need
    a) If you don't have the latest version of the SDK, dowload it here.
    b) Use the Android SDK and AVD manager to download the Google Inc. third party add ons, especially USB driver package, revision 4.
    c) Also, my adb driver (Android 1.0 driver) didn't work so you might want to download pdaNet and install theirs by installing their software to your pc and following the instructions until you are asked to replace the driver.
    d) Download the recovery image here.
    e) Download the superuser app here.

2. Prepare the clockwork recovery
    a) Place the recovery image into the tools folder of the sdk.
    b) Fastboot the phone by turning it of and holding the volume + and power simultaneously.
    c) Now connect the phone to your computer via the USB cable. Make sure there are no driver errors, if so reinstall the drivers.
    d) Now its time to unlock the oem. Run the command prompt as administrator and navigate to the tools folder. i.e C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools
    Type the following commands to place the cursor. btw [Enter] means press enter, not type it in lol
    cd..[Enter]
    cd..[Enter]
    cd..[Enter]
    e) Now navigate to the tools folder, copy and paste the path from explorer window then [Enter]
    f) Make sure the adb found your device by entering
    fastboot devices[Enter]
    You should see the serial number from your Nexus S. If not, the driver is wrong or you selected the wrong path.
    g) Unlock the oem by entering
    fastboot oem unlock[Enter]
    You will be prompted to a "are you sure?" type of thing, press the volume + key to go to yes and power to accept. The locked status should change to Unlocked.
    h) Now set the recovery image by entering
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-herring.img[Enter]
    It should say complete
    i) Now reboot the phone by using the volume and power keys

3. Now you have to install the superuser app.
    a) Search for superuser in the android marked and download it.
    b) Place the superuser apk file you downloaded to your sd card
    c) Reboot into recovery
    d) go to recovery, mounts and storage, and mount system.
    e) now go back to install updates from sd and select the superuser apk file
    f) reboot and enjoy your rooted Nexus S!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kits2GR View Post
    My only concern regarding rooting was that unlocking bootloader wipes all the data on the phone, and I have a lots of it that can't be backed up by google or astro file manager, for example Swype dictionary. Luckily for folks like me who don't want this and/or void the warranty due to unlocking oem, there is a method allowing to root Nexus S without unlocking the bootloader.

Read here: [GUIDE] Root & custom recovery WITHOUT oem unlock & wipe - xda-developers

Just did that and it worked perfectly. At last I can do a titanium backup, nandroid backup and try the nightlies =)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links