Battery life observations..

This is a discussion on Battery life observations.. within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; For some reason my battery usage chart indicates that "Gallery" is using 68% of my battery. I have no pictures on my phone yet so ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery life observations..

Gallery

For some reason my battery usage chart indicates that "Gallery" is using 68% of my battery. I have no pictures on my phone yet so I have no idea why the Android Gallery would be doing this.

Any clues? Not trying to hijack this thread or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMouth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    UPDATE: I can go a full day without a charge with regular use now.. for instance , today I went all day without a charge and got home and it was 47% remaining..

9am 100% - 830pm 47% (normal usage)

maybe the battery needed a couple of charges to get going..
    The software needs a few charge and discharge cycles to calibrate the battery usage. This is why it seems as if the battery is performing better when actually the software is allowing you longer to use the battery before turning you off.
    Is it better to try to run the battery down before charging or try to leave it plugged in as much as possible to get the software calibrated?

I have been noticing the same rapid decline of charge under minimal use. I have had periods of constant usage for a couple of hours as well and I think I get the same amount of battery drain as if I left it alone the whole time. Thought I might have a bad battery but the conditioning does make sense since the software might not know how long it can really milk your battery.

I too seem to think that I have been duped when it comes to the tech specs regarding the battery life. I am not use to having to charge a phone everyday (only used blackberry for years). Trying to wait it out to see what happens, based on the comments I have read..........

Quote Originally Posted by Beeshkin View Post
    For some reason my battery usage chart indicates that "Gallery" is using 68% of my battery. I have no pictures on my phone yet so I have no idea why the Android Gallery would be doing this.

I just wanted to update that after disabling the Picasa (Settings>Accounts and Sync>gmail account>Sync Picasa Web albums) online album sync my phone's battery lasts approximately 5x longer. I don't use Picasa, and don't know why sync with this product is enabled by default, but it does NOT work right.

I just wanted to update that after disabling the Picasa (Settings>Accounts and Sync>gmail account>Sync Picasa Web albums) online album sync my phone's battery lasts approximately 5x longer. I don't use Picasa, and don't know why sync with this product is enabled by default, but it does NOT work right.
    Then maybe that is one of the things they will fix in the update that is being rolled out as we speak... well type.

Quote Originally Posted by betabob View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to reset the battery usage display? On my Nexus One/Froyo it would reset each time you charged the unit, but on my Nexus A it doesn't seem to reset regardless of what you do....power off, pulling the battery, etc.

I'm also trying to figure out the way the battery usage display works.

As you said, on Froyo it used to reset back when you unplugged the phone, but now the stats seem to be a continuous time flow.

For example my battery usage display now shows:

• 1d 20h 8m 10s with battery
    • 2d 1h 21m 36s (total? comprehensive of time spent charging?)

I unplugged the phone about 3 ours ago and turned the phone off and then back on about 13 ours ago but it doesn't seem to show.

This is what the Android 2.3 manual says:

On the Home screen, press Menu and touch Settings > Applications >
    Battery use.
    The Battery Use screen lists the applications that have been using the battery, from greatest to least battery use.
    The discharge graph at the top of the screen shows the pace of battery discharge since you last changed the phone (short periods of time when you were connected to a charger are shown as thin green lines at the bottom of the chart), and how long you’ve been running on battery power.
    S Touch an application in the Battery Use screen to learn details about its power consumption.
    Different applications offer different kinds of information. Some applications
    include buttons that open screens with settings to adjust power use.
    S Touch the discharge graph to open a screen with details about when the phone’s radios, screen, and other features were using the battery.

I wonder what "changed the phone" means...

Any ideas?

It looks like the display gets reset each time the phone is fully charged.

Quote Originally Posted by betabob View Post
    It looks like the display gets reset each time the phone is fully charged.
    Thanks, I just noticed it myself!

The graph seems to reset the moment charge reaches 100% and then it starts flowing until the next 100%.
    If you for example charge it up to 70% then unplug it, use it, then plug it in again, it will show as an up, down, then up again on the graph but if you charge it to 100% it will go back to zero and start from the top.

The numbers shown are a chrono of the time past from the 100% mark.
    One referred to the device attached to a charger, the other using battery.

I've also noticed that the secondary timer that shows total time on, starts logging a few minutes after you have disconnected the phone from charging, so if you look at the stats after 30 minutes you will see:

30m 00s with battery
    22m 17s (secondary timer)

why?

A few observations:

Facebook app on Nexus S drained my battery by approx 10% in 30 mins, and that was in the background with background data turned off! I left the device on 2g with wifi and gps all turned off and some how the battery went down dramatically, the stats showed facebook to take 55% of the battery over about an hour.. even though i killed the app before leaving it..

Leaving my phone idle with just 3G activated also seem to drain the battery way too much compared to the over enthusiastic specs spouted by google. By the looks of the battery graph, if i didnt use it, but left it on with 3g and a couple of very light apps in the background.. ie battery indicator and national rail, I am sure it would'nt last a day.. which coming from a blackberry .. is slightly frustrating.. and nothing near the documented stats

However. once everything was turned off and facebook removed, i was able to leave over night for approx 7hours, and only 4-5% of the battery drained. Although.. the idea of buying a smartphone is surely to be able to use some of the features that make is.. smart...

If anyone has any more tips on saving battery, they would be much appreciated for me and im sure many others.. I have tried most of the obvious, i even have the screen on the lowest brightness.. and background data off..

Can anyone else confirm that the Facebook app seems to be problematic and perhaps not working correcly yet with the nexus s?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links