Does Google have an official policy on Android OS upgrades?

This is a discussion on Does Google have an official policy on Android OS upgrades? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello I am looking at buying the Nexus S. I have never owned an Android phone, so this would be my first. I really do ...

Thread: Does Google have an official policy on Android OS upgrades?

Does Google have an official policy on Android OS upgrades?

Hello

I am looking at buying the Nexus S.

I have never owned an Android phone, so this would be my first.

I really do not want a modified Android like on the HTC, Motorola and Sony phones. I want vanilla Android hence why I am looking at this phone.

As everyone knows, the Android release is 2.3 (Gingerbread). I cannot find the answer to this anywhere - do Google have an official policy for future upgrades for this phone?

For example, when Honeycomb (3.0) is released, will it be available for this phone or is it a case of buying this phone and just hoping for the best?

Beastmaster

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'll bump this for ya. You might have missed some responses.

As far as we know, there is no guarantee of future compatibility. However, if you can draw a conclusion from this, the original Droid is scheduled to get Gingerbread. So, I'd expect both the Nexus One and the NS to be upgraded for quite some time to come.

The current thinking is that Honeycomb will be geared more towards tablets, but will probably include some improvements for handsets as well. Still all rumor, though.

To answer your question though, Google has never promised any updates for the Nexus S. No official statement.

However, the closest cousin to the Nexus S has been the Nexus One for almost the last year. The Nexus One has received every single update prior to every other phone. Gingerbread on the Nexus S has been THE FIRST time anything has received an official update before the Nexus One.

It is safe to assume that until Google comes out with the Nexus T (I just made up that name), your Nexus S will get updates first.

How long they continue to update the Nexus One or Nexus S is up to discussion, but Google can and will stop updating it someday.

Until then, come on in, enjoy the ride while it lasts.
    :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Well Google never promises anything, I mean none of us knew about the Nexus S. we THOUGHT we would get Gingerbread first but Google out of nowhere decided to unveil the Nexus S. I think your best bet is to get the phone since I think that will be the main developer phone now. Which kind of sucks for us Nexus One users, who were loyal.
    Sorry if I sound pretty mad, but its just I really want Gingerbread, and Google seems to have forgotten about the Nexus One.

@Krew,

Just announced today that we should be getting the update within a few weeks.

As mad as you feel about this, think about us AT&T Nexus One owners. Our carrier doesn't offer any decent Android phones. All we ever hear is how good the iPhones are.

I told the family that I'm bailing on AT&T. They can keep their expensive data plan, expensive apps, and iPhone.
    :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Yes I read about it in a post, still a few weeks? What does that mean? If we don't get it before January 1st 12:00 A.M I will lose respect for Google and their products. It just feels like a slap to the face towards loyal Nexus One buyers, who trusted Google even when almost ALL popular technology websites such as Engadget or Gizmodo where marking the Google Nexus One as a failure. I believed in Google in their promise for early Android updates for the Nexus One. It feels like they have set aside the priorities for the Nexus One and made the Nexus S their top choice forever without looking back.
    Although I might agree with their decision for making the Nexus S a high priority, I don't feel it requires us Nexus One users to be put on 2nd place when we were doing good along the long, long race.
    **And as for the AT&T comment I can understand my friend got charged thousands for no reason a couple of years back, and he didn't even have an iPhone!**

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links