Nexus S or back to MT4G

This is a discussion on Nexus S or back to MT4G within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; It is personal preference IMO, your choice. 3G is fine for me...speed is real good....better than i4!. I like the shape, feel of the NS ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: Nexus S or back to MT4G

  1. #11
    Junior Member jbowden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10
    It is personal preference IMO, your choice. 3G is fine for me...speed is real good....better than i4!. I like the shape, feel of the NS and the screen and Gingerbread, no TMobile custom stuff...

  2. #12
    Senior Member Sheanzy_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    548
    I would never suggest the Nexus S. See my post here on why not to get the Nexus S.

    -MT4G has 720p HD video.
    -1GHz Snapdragon Processor
    -3.8' Display
    -WiFi Hotspot
    -4G
    -5MP Camera
    -Android 2.2


    Nexus S
    -480p Video
    -1Ghz Processor
    -4' display
    -WiFi Hotspot
    -3G
    -5 MP Camera
    -Android 2.3

    Now you choose. Is 2.3 going to sway your mind because MT4G only has 2.2? FroYo is amazing and most phones will see a 2.3 OTA in the coming weeks or over the next couple of months.

    Overall, you get a better experience and feature overload with MT4G over the Nexus S. You'd be irrational not to go with the MT4G ....


    --> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

    --> ...a Gingerbread ROM




    - Our handicapped puppy -

    *Follow me on Twitter



    EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

  3. #13
    Android Lurker DudeRandom21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    I would never suggest the Nexus S. See my post here on why not to get the Nexus S.

    -MT4G has 720p HD video.
    -1GHz Snapdragon Processor
    -3.8' Display
    -WiFi Hotspot
    -4G
    -5MP Camera
    -Android 2.2


    Nexus S
    -480p Video
    -1Ghz Processor
    -4' display
    -WiFi Hotspot
    -3G
    -5 MP Camera
    -Android 2.3

    Now you choose. Is 2.3 going to sway your mind because MT4G only has 2.2? FroYo is amazing and most phones will see a 2.3 OTA in the coming weeks or over the next couple of months.

    Overall, you get a better experience and feature overload with MT4G over the Nexus S. You'd be irrational not to go with the MT4G ....
    Ok you don't want him to get the nexus S but this post shows that other than the 720p recording that you can get by rooting there is a difference of 1G and 0.2' on the display and plus you added the snapdragon to make it sound better than just a 1GHz processor but the nexus S has a hummingbird processor which has higher benchmark tests than the snapdragon so this should be another advantage of the nexus S this is what I think

    nexus S
    + s-amoled screen
    + NFC (not very useful now but if you plan on having your phone for a little while then ya it will be)
    + Pure Google
    - Cheap plasticky feel

    mytouch 4G
    + 720p recording
    + hspa+

    So now what do you think of the two phones now. The nexus S is not a bad phone just not a big breakthrough everyone thought it would be and it is not a big improuvemnent from the nexus one.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Sheanzy_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post

    Ok you don't want him to get the nexus S but this post shows that other than the 720p recording that you can get by rooting there is a difference of 1G and 0.2' on the display and plus you added the snapdragon to make it sound better than just a 1GHz processor but the nexus S has a hummingbird processor which has higher benchmark tests than the snapdragon so this should be another advantage of the nexus S this is what I think
    Wrong. I stated 1GHz, because I know it's 1GHz and that's it. I listed SNAPDRAGON because that's what I KNOW. So please refrain from saying I purposely listed snapdragon because it sounds better because that's not the case.

    You're right about the higher benchmark , which is also a benefit of the Nexus S. I could careless of the 0.2' of the display. Rooting and enabling 720p isn't as good as 720p stock. This disappoints me because as a Nexus One user, you should very well know that our 720p isn't at par with the iPhone 4 720p. We shoot at 15-22 FPS while stock 720pHD feature on phones shoot at 30FPS.

    The Nexus S is pretty, touted, and for the most part great. Pure android is awesome. Gingerbread + future updates is nice, but it lacks.... lacks bad.

    MT4G > Nexus S definitely. First to get updates and 'pure' android isn't two features that would sway myself, a tech-savvy dude, into paying 529$ for a phone that can be outdone by my Nexus One.


    --> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

    --> ...a Gingerbread ROM




    - Our handicapped puppy -

    *Follow me on Twitter



    EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

  5. #15
    Junior Member EasyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    13
    Everyone has failed to mention the fact that it cost extra money through your plan to tether on the stock MT4G, it is free to tether on the stock Nexus S.
    I'd say go with the Nexus S.
    FYI: The 720p video recording will come with a future update as it did when the Nexus One came out.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Sheanzy_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndy View Post
    Everyone has failed to mention the fact that it cost extra money through your plan to tether on the stock MT4G, it is free to tether on the stock Nexus S.
    I'd say go with the Nexus S.
    FYI: The 720p video recording will come with a future update as it did when the Nexus One came out.
    As I mentioned in the previous post, 720p enabled through rooting and custom ROM's is not as good as stock 720p. The FPS is highly noticeable.

    Some have had the experience of getting tethering/wifi charges by using the Nexus One and Nexus S. For myself, I'm not AT&T, I do not get charged for Tethering when I use it.


    --> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

    --> ...a Gingerbread ROM




    - Our handicapped puppy -

    *Follow me on Twitter



    EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

  7. #17
    Junior Member EasyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndy View Post
    Everyone has failed to mention the fact that it cost extra money through your plan to tether on the stock MT4G, it is free to tether on the stock Nexus S.
    I'd say go with the Nexus S.
    FYI: The 720p video recording will come with a future update as it did when the Nexus One came out.
    As I mentioned in the previous post, 720p enabled through rooting and custom ROM's is not as good as stock 720p. The FPS is highly noticeable.

    Some have had the experience of getting tethering/wifi charges by using the Nexus One and Nexus S. For myself, I'm not AT&T, I do not get charged for Tethering when I use it.
    Did you even read my post?

    I said that the 720p video recording will come with a future OS update as it did with the Nexus One. Way back in January when the Nexus One was originally released it too was only capable of 480p video recording.

    As for the extra tethering charges on T-Mobile; the MT4G requires a $15.00 a month extra package to tether. the Nexus One and Nexus S were always free and are always going to be free as stated by Google in the Nexus S website. I never mentioned anything about AT&T as the Nexus S and Mt4G only function properly on T-mobile.

    Best,

    Andy

  8. #18
    Senior Member Sheanzy_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndy View Post

    Did you even read my post?

    I said that the 720p video recording will come with a future OS update as it did with the Nexus One. Way back in January when the Nexus One was originally released it too was only capable of 480p video recording.

    As for the extra tethering charges on T-Mobile; the MT4G requires a $15.00 a month extra package to tether. the Nexus One and Nexus S were always free and are always going to be free as stated by Google in the Nexus S website. I never mentioned anything about AT&T as the Nexus S and Mt4G only function properly on T-mobile.

    Best,

    Andy
    Of course I read your post. 720p will be enabled through rooting and CUSTOM ROMs. The Nexus One has 720p capabilities only because Custom ROMs let it be. The stock ROMs or OTA's given out by Google do not give 720p capabilities. In the future, with a custom ROM, the Nexus S will have 720p capabilities. However, stock 720p versus a modded version of 720p isn't nearly as good. Look at Nexus One 720p test videos versus phones such as the iPhone 4 that come stock with 720p HD. I have plenty of test footage on my YouTube channel. So that solves your confusion.

    As for the whole AT&T deal, I mentioned I don't pay tethering option on AT&T with my Nexus One. The Nexus S DOES WORK ON AT&T. The unlocked version will work on AT&T 2G or EDGE. So please do some fact checking before arguing

    As for your remark on the so called 'statement that Google made' about tethering and wifi hotspot going to be free as stated on their website, this is false. WiFi hot spot and tethering is at the control of the carrier you are using it on. If you go here and read the eighth bullet down, you will see a phrase in little parentheses saying ( you may have to pay extra for this feature ). It isn't up to Google as to whether WiFi tethering or Hotspot is free.


    --> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

    --> ...a Gingerbread ROM




    - Our handicapped puppy -

    *Follow me on Twitter



    EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

  9. #19
    Android Lurker DudeRandom21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post

    Ok you don't want him to get the nexus S but this post shows that other than the 720p recording that you can get by rooting there is a difference of 1G and 0.2' on the display and plus you added the snapdragon to make it sound better than just a 1GHz processor but the nexus S has a hummingbird processor which has higher benchmark tests than the snapdragon so this should be another advantage of the nexus S this is what I think
    Wrong. I stated 1GHz, because I know it's 1GHz and that's it. I listed SNAPDRAGON because that's what I KNOW. So please refrain from saying I purposely listed snapdragon because it sounds better because that's not the case.

    You're right about the higher benchmark , which is also a benefit of the Nexus S. I could careless of the 0.2' of the display. Rooting and enabling 720p isn't as good as 720p stock. This disappoints me because as a Nexus One user, you should very well know that our 720p isn't at par with the iPhone 4 720p. We shoot at 15-22 FPS while stock 720pHD feature on phones shoot at 30FPS.

    The Nexus S is pretty, touted, and for the most part great. Pure android is awesome. Gingerbread + future updates is nice, but it lacks.... lacks bad.

    MT4G > Nexus S definitely. First to get updates and 'pure' android isn't two features that would sway myself, a tech-savvy dude, into paying 529$ for a phone that can be outdone by my Nexus One.
    Ok ya you're right I shouldnít have jumped the gun for the processor. As for the 720p I know it's not the best to have to root to get it but at least you can and I'm sure somebody will have a root working that doesn't unlock the bootloader of the nexus S in no time. The only thing is that you keep saying that the nexus S lacks bad but other than stock 720p what is so great about the MT4G? I know itís less expensive but the cost is not a factor I put into play when buying a phone (well when the difference is 200$ maybe) although I live in Canada so to get any good android other than the galaxy S I have to buy unlocked via eBay. But I still donít think it should play that big a role because in the long run you have this thing for like 2 years.

  10. #20
    Junior Member EasyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndy View Post

    Did you even read my post?

    I said that the 720p video recording will come with a future OS update as it did with the Nexus One. Way back in January when the Nexus One was originally released it too was only capable of 480p video recording.

    As for the extra tethering charges on T-Mobile; the MT4G requires a $15.00 a month extra package to tether. the Nexus One and Nexus S were always free and are always going to be free as stated by Google in the Nexus S website. I never mentioned anything about AT&T as the Nexus S and Mt4G only function properly on T-mobile.

    Best,

    Andy
    Of course I read your post. 720p will be enabled through rooting and CUSTOM ROMs. The Nexus One has 720p capabilities only because Custom ROMs let it be. The stock ROMs or OTA's given out by Google do not give 720p capabilities. In the future, with a custom ROM, the Nexus S will have 720p capabilities. However, stock 720p versus a modded version of 720p isn't nearly as good. Look at Nexus One 720p test videos versus phones such as the iPhone 4 that come stock with 720p HD. I have plenty of test footage on my YouTube channel. So that solves your confusion.

    As for the whole AT&T deal, I mentioned I don't pay tethering option on AT&T with my Nexus One. The Nexus S DOES WORK ON AT&T. The unlocked version will work on AT&T 2G or EDGE. So please do some fact checking before arguing

    As for your remark on the so called 'statement that Google made' about tethering and wifi hotspot going to be free as stated on their website, this is false. WiFi hot spot and tethering is at the control of the carrier you are using it on. If you go here and read the eighth bullet down, you will see a phrase in little parentheses saying ( you may have to pay extra for this feature ). It isn't up to Google as to whether WiFi tethering or Hotspot is free.
    I thought the Nexus One received an OTA update to enable 720p but that might have been the Droid Incredible, my bad. The Galaxy S line of phones have 720p recording so we know the camera has the capabilities so hopefully the same thing will happen with the Nexus S.

    Does the stock Nexus One in its present operating state not have 720p recording capabilities?

    My main point was that a out of the box MT4G can not tether for free, it requires an extra monthly charge to do so. Having used a stock Nexus One since it was originally released, I have never had to pay any extra fee's to tether and I used the Nexus for the majority of my internet access. I just purchased the Nexus S and the tethering is still free. After the first week of use I am really impressed with the Nexus S, in my opinion it is far superior to the Nexus One and MT4G.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Android Forum