Nexus S or back to MT4G

This is a discussion on Nexus S or back to MT4G within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by EasyAndy Originally Posted by Sheanzy Originally Posted by EasyAndy Did you even read my post? I said that the 720p video recording ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Nexus S or back to MT4G

  1. #21
    Senior Member Sheanzy_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndy View Post

    Did you even read my post?

    I said that the 720p video recording will come with a future OS update as it did with the Nexus One. Way back in January when the Nexus One was originally released it too was only capable of 480p video recording.

    As for the extra tethering charges on T-Mobile; the MT4G requires a $15.00 a month extra package to tether. the Nexus One and Nexus S were always free and are always going to be free as stated by Google in the Nexus S website. I never mentioned anything about AT&T as the Nexus S and Mt4G only function properly on T-mobile.

    Best,

    Andy
    Of course I read your post. 720p will be enabled through rooting and CUSTOM ROMs. The Nexus One has 720p capabilities only because Custom ROMs let it be. The stock ROMs or OTA's given out by Google do not give 720p capabilities. In the future, with a custom ROM, the Nexus S will have 720p capabilities. However, stock 720p versus a modded version of 720p isn't nearly as good. Look at Nexus One 720p test videos versus phones such as the iPhone 4 that come stock with 720p HD. I have plenty of test footage on my YouTube channel. So that solves your confusion.

    As for the whole AT&T deal, I mentioned I don't pay tethering option on AT&T with my Nexus One. The Nexus S DOES WORK ON AT&T. The unlocked version will work on AT&T 2G or EDGE. So please do some fact checking before arguing

    As for your remark on the so called 'statement that Google made' about tethering and wifi hotspot going to be free as stated on their website, this is false. WiFi hot spot and tethering is at the control of the carrier you are using it on. If you go here and read the eighth bullet down, you will see a phrase in little parentheses saying ( you may have to pay extra for this feature ). It isn't up to Google as to whether WiFi tethering or Hotspot is free.
    I thought the Nexus One received an OTA update to enable 720p but that might have been the Droid Incredible, my bad. The Galaxy S line of phones have 720p recording so we know the camera has the capabilities so hopefully the same thing will happen with the Nexus S.

    Does the stock Nexus One in its present operating state not have 720p recording capabilities?

    My main point was that a out of the box MT4G can not tether for free, it requires an extra monthly charge to do so. Having used a stock Nexus One since it was originally released, I have never had to pay any extra fee's to tether and I used the Nexus for the majority of my internet access. I just purchased the Nexus S and the tethering is still free. After the first week of use I am really impressed with the Nexus S, in my opinion it is far superior to the Nexus One and MT4G.
    Its okay I completely understand. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus S is awesome but for those who may not know how or want to risk rooting / flashing ROMs ...then the MT4G is the way to go. Screen size and 4g doesn't really matter because 3G speeds are GREAT. Stock, the MT4G is better IMO. More capabilities.

    However, both phones will have custom ROMs in the future. This is an area where the Nexus S will thrive. ROMs generally come out first for the nexus one.. so we will Assume that the nexus s will be in with that category .


    --> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

    --> ...a Gingerbread ROM




    - Our handicapped puppy -

    *Follow me on Twitter



    EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

  2. #22
    Android Lurker lunchbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2
    I am also tempted to get MT4G. i checked with the store clerk, tethering is free. Thetr us an add-on add on package, but you don't need to pay for it. It's free to use now.

  3. #23
    Junior Member EasyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    I am also tempted to get MT4G. i checked with the store clerk, tethering is free. Thetr us an add-on add on package, but you don't need to pay for it. It's free to use now.
    You should check again, I just called T-mobile today and there is a $15.00 a month extra tethering plan that is required to tether with the MT4G.

    $180.00 + tax to rock a MT4G is not worth it, I would go with either of the Nexus's before I would pay that. Still want that MT4G, you could always root it?

  4. #24
    Android Lurker lunchbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2
    No! You don't check with Tmo. Check with existing MT4G users. The tethering option is embeded into the OS and tmo didn't remove it. You can just use it like your Nexus One and don't need to pay for the $15 plan.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Sheanzy_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    No! You don't check with Tmo. Check with existing MT4G users. The tethering option is embeded into the OS and tmo didn't remove it. You can just use it like your Nexus One and don't need to pay for the $15 plan.
    The same goes with AT&T. I am currently using my old iPhone data plan which is unlimited on my Nexus One. I just switched SIMs and never bothered to mention it to them. They know that I have a Nexus One by servers or whatever. If I were to call an ask about tethering, they will most certainly charge me for a tethering package regardless or not if I'm using a Nexus S or Nexus One.

    I would still go with a MT4G. If you want top of the line features for this day in age... (we are in 2010 and all) then please do yourself a favor and purchase the MT4G. You will have everything and some on the Nexus S, so it would make no sense to purchase the Nexus S. Some will make the case about updates and Gingerbread. Sorry to break it to you, but ROMs are already out for a large portion of Android phones that include GingerBread. I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over that. Unless your savvy with rooting, the Nexus S will only get HD support through custom ROMs. If you're not, why go through the trouble when you can have a 1GHz phone with almost the same display size, higher broadband speeds(4G), 720p HD, and FroYo (badass in itself), and soon to be GingerBread.

    That makes the case right there. The Nexus S had potential.....but if it can't even be a competitive predecessor to the Nexus One( a phone released in January) then why should it be in the same talking with phones such as the MT4G....because it shouldn't.


    --> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

    --> ...a Gingerbread ROM




    - Our handicapped puppy -

    *Follow me on Twitter



    EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

  6. #26
    Member bav1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    54
    I just got the Mytouch 4G yesterday and I love it. It reminds me of my Nexus One. (HTC design & Android). I bought a 32GB sdcard for it on Newegg and can't wait for it to get here so, I can upload all my music.

    Back on the subject, as a tech and computer geek; I can fully understand why people would want the Nexus S over a MT4G. I build all my own computers and will never buy a brand name windows pc, with all the crap they load on them. It's just all up to personal preference like I said before.

    I have never got into phones that way so, I don't mind the HTC-sense. Having owned the Nexus One, I already know about Android so, I was able to download all my previous apps from Google and, customize this new phone just like my N1.

    I like the HTC-sense because, it has a lot of things that I would have looked for and downloaded anyway if I had a base Android phone. There are some things I could do without but, not enough for me to not enjoy this phone.

    Merry Christmas to everyone!!

  7. #27
    Android Lurker lunchbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2
    bav1987, do you mind telling us for your MyTouch4g, can you use the Tethering feature without paying additional?

  8. #28
    Member bav1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    bav1987, do you mind telling us for your MyTouch4g, can you use the Tethering feature without paying additional?
    I tried it and it worked very nice. My Ipad connected to it fast. I wouldn't have tried it if I hadn't heard on this thread that it might still work. I know when I had my Nexus One, I used it and, it didn't cost a dime.

    I'm not signed up for tethering so, I hope they don't charge me

  9. #29
    Junior Member EasyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndy View Post

    Did you even read my post?

    I said that the 720p video recording will come with a future OS update as it did with the Nexus One. Way back in January when the Nexus One was originally released it too was only capable of 480p video recording.

    As for the extra tethering charges on T-Mobile; the MT4G requires a $15.00 a month extra package to tether. the Nexus One and Nexus S were always free and are always going to be free as stated by Google in the Nexus S website. I never mentioned anything about AT&T as the Nexus S and Mt4G only function properly on T-mobile.

    Best,

    Andy
    Of course I read your post. 720p will be enabled through rooting and CUSTOM ROMs. The Nexus One has 720p capabilities only because Custom ROMs let it be. The stock ROMs or OTA's given out by Google do not give 720p capabilities. In the future, with a custom ROM, the Nexus S will have 720p capabilities. However, stock 720p versus a modded version of 720p isn't nearly as good. Look at Nexus One 720p test videos versus phones such as the iPhone 4 that come stock with 720p HD. I have plenty of test footage on my YouTube channel. So that solves your confusion.

    As for the whole AT&T deal, I mentioned I don't pay tethering option on AT&T with my Nexus One. The Nexus S DOES WORK ON AT&T. The unlocked version will work on AT&T 2G or EDGE. So please do some fact checking before arguing

    As for your remark on the so called 'statement that Google made' about tethering and wifi hotspot going to be free as stated on their website, this is false. WiFi hot spot and tethering is at the control of the carrier you are using it on. If you go here and read the eighth bullet down, you will see a phrase in little parentheses saying ( you may have to pay extra for this feature ). It isn't up to Google as to whether WiFi tethering or Hotspot is free.
    So Sheanzy, are your saying that this ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUbrBmy93XM]YouTube - Explore Nexus S: Gingerbread Connectivity[/ame]) is a false statement made by google, or should you do some more fact checking?

  10. #30
    Android Lurker lunchbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2
    There're all sorts of tethering programs you can download from the Market. Your carrier wouldn't know if you are using your phone tethered to your laptop. I have been usng PDAnet since my G1 phone. Now with Nexus 1, it's built-in to the OS. If Tmo decide to remove that feature from MT4G, I can always use PDAnet agian.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Android Forum