How to setup Free VOIP calling with Gizmo5+Google Voice+Nexus S native SIP stack

This is a discussion on How to setup Free VOIP calling with Gizmo5+Google Voice+Nexus S native SIP stack within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Most of this information is already out there. Seems like no one has tried this with the NEXUS S on this forum. So here's a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to setup Free VOIP calling with Gizmo5+Google Voice+Nexus S native SIP stack

How to setup Free VOIP calling with Gizmo5+Google Voice+Nexus S native SIP stack

Most of this information is already out there. Seems like no one has tried this with the NEXUS S on this forum. So here's a little short run down,

Things you need.

1. Google Voice account and phone # (if you dont have one, buy one from ebay for $2)
    2. Gizmo5 Account. (if you dont have one, buy one from ebay for $5, its worth it)
    3. Google Call Advantage or Google call free from android market.
    4. Wifi and/or 3G connection.

here's how you setup.

log into to google voice account. settings-> add gizmo5 # to the call forward list. check only the gizmo 5 # and uncheck all other phone #s that you have.

download google call advantage to your Nexus S and log into the google voice account. Call back # should be your gizmo5 # and select Gizmo from the drop down list in phone type.

On your Nexus S.

Settings-> Call Settings-> Account -> check the box Receive incoming calls.
    -> add account. enter Gizmo5 username and password.
    Server: proxy01.sipphone.com
    check set as primary account.
    -> optional setting-> Display name: (leave empty)->
    outbound proxy address: leave empty.
    port # : 5060,
    Transport type: UDP. and SAVE ( the save option is the menu key of the same screen.

depending on you calling preferences that you have selected, call a phone # with the area code and the call will go thru with your phone ringing and will get forwarded to the dialed # after you answer the call. Have'nt figured out how to auto answer to forward the call but will update the post as i get more info. Sipdroid seems to have that feature but there have been severe audio issues with sipdroid and Nexus S. enough for me to stop wasting my time. so until we have a better fix for auto calling, Enjoy free calling with whats available.

thanx.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Gvoice Callback now has an auto-answer option...seems to work okay.

Do you know what difference it makes to specify UDP vs. TCP for the protocol?

Also, in order to MAKE calls using this method with Gizmo5, don't you also need to purchase some Gizmo5 credit?

No, you dont have to have either Google voice or Gizmo5 credits. Gizmo5 see all calls as a incoming call. all incoming calls are free in gizmo5. thanx for the google voice callback auto answer tip. will try today.

But doesn't Gizmo5 have to call you back in order to initiate the call, hence the auto-answer requirement? The reason I ask is that I could not get initiate a call from my phone when I was only connected via wifi. I had to turn on the mobile data network and then it would work. Inbound calls worked perfectly, though.

I have an Nexus One with T Mobile running ver. 2.2

Would your set-up work for my arrangement?

Thanks!

absolutely. as a matter of fact, you dont even need a gizmo5 account for the nexus one. just get a sipgate phone # and use that instead of the gizmo5 #. sipgate.com will give you a free phone # and all these settings seem to have worked better on my nexus one when i owned it. it eventually went to my wife who doest care too much about internet calling.

Quote Originally Posted by dhotiram View Post
    Most of this information is already out there. Seems like no one has tried this with the NEXUS S on this forum. So here's a little short run down,

Things you need.

1. Google Voice account and phone # (if you dont have one, buy one from ebay for $2)
    2. Gizmo5 Account. (if you dont have one, buy one from ebay for $5, its worth it)
    3. Google Call Advantage or Google call free from android market.
    4. Wifi and/or 3G connection.

here's how you setup.

log into to google voice account. settings-> add gizmo5 # to the call forward list. check only the gizmo 5 # and uncheck all other phone #s that you have.

download google call advantage to your Nexus S and log into the google voice account. Call back # should be your gizmo5 # and select Gizmo from the drop down list in phone type.

On your Nexus S.

Settings-> Call Settings-> Account -> check the box Receive incoming calls.
    -> add account. enter Gizmo5 username and password.
    Server: proxy01.sipphone.com
    check set as primary account.
    -> optional setting-> Display name: (leave empty)->
    outbound proxy address: leave empty.
    port # : 5060,
    Transport type: UDP. and SAVE ( the save option is the menu key of the same screen.

depending on you calling preferences that you have selected, call a phone # with the area code and the call will go thru with your phone ringing and will get forwarded to the dialed # after you answer the call. Have'nt figured out how to auto answer to forward the call but will update the post as i get more info. Sipdroid seems to have that feature but there have been severe audio issues with sipdroid and Nexus S. enough for me to stop wasting my time. so until we have a better fix for auto calling, Enjoy free calling with whats available.

thanx.
    Thanks dhotiram, your instructions worked perfectly for me.

Just one question: for both incoming and outgoing calls the phone only rings once. Do you know of a setting to ring the phone until I pickup or until the call goes to voicemail?

Hi,

I don't have a Google Voice Account.
    I have a SIP account with a provider in India. I was using this account to make SIP calls through my previous phone (Nokia E63).
    I have configured the same username/password/server/proxy server/port etc in Nexus S also. But it fails in authorizing the account.

Can you please let me know whether any other settings are required to enable SIP calling.

Thanks in advance.

Can't Find Gizmo5 Acct Offer on eBay

Hi,

I saw a similar discussion on this topic elsewhere a few weeks back and went looking for a Gizmo5 account on eBay but was unsuccessful. This discussion renewed my interest, so I just went to eBay to shop for one again but same result. Is there a trick for finding these or have they just become scarce with the passage of time?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

OK....
    This guy/girl has it right as per the instructions....however, missing a VVERRYY important step...
    I dont have friends with SIP accounts, and simply want to call people when I am overseas and connected to a viable WIFI hotspot. So, If my friends or family do not have a SIP account, I cannot USE the SIP address to call them... this address is looks like an email address with lots of dots etc.... The way you do this is :
    In Settings then Call Settings, go down and click "use internet calling" then click "ask for each call" (for starters)... this way I can call REAL numbers in my contact list...not JUST SIP addresses... this is the MOST important step in the setup...
    When I travel overseas next time to an area like costa rica, where foreigners have a nearly impossible time getting a phone or a GSM chip for their phone, Or to areas where calling home can be expensive or hard, I will use the setting "for all calls"
    So when I am in a WiFi area, all calls will simply be placed thru the internet via the phone
    I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links