How can I put Nexus One's USB in MTP mode?

This is a discussion on How can I put Nexus One's USB in MTP mode? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello I just got a Nexus One and would like to use it as a media source for the SYNC system (as in "SYNC by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I put Nexus One's USB in MTP mode?

How can I put Nexus One's USB in MTP mode?

Hello
    I just got a Nexus One and would like to use it as a media source for the SYNC system (as in "SYNC by Microsoft", not as in synchronization) on my Ford vehicle. My previous phone (A Sony Ericsson) offered several choices for the USB settings, they include MTP and Mass Storage as two distinct modes.
    When set in MTP mode SYNC connected to the Sony Ericsson phone's USB and was able to play by artist/genre/album, etc, it read track info and displayed it on its screen, and I could use SYNC's voice commands (e.g. PLAY ARTIST SO AND SO, or PLAY GENRE COUNTRY, etc.).
    When I connect the Nexus one to the vehicle's USB port, the phone shows a green box indicating USB connected and an option to switch to Mass Storage (The box turns orange when I do). In either mode, SYNC was unable to connect to my phone via USB.
    Any help would be appreciated... Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Dont hit the Usb storage option when connected cuz when you do, it disables the sd card for storage...

Sent from my Nexus One via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by iPeck View Post
    Dont hit the Usb storage option when connected cuz when you do, it disables the sd card for storage...

Hi iPeck,
    I tried both settings. Did not work. I need to put the phone in MTP setting. Also, when not in the MAss Storage mode, what is the mode of the USB connection?
    On another note, when you say 'disable the sd card for storage' do you mean that the phone cannot access the SD card for its own storage because the card is now used as mass storage for the connecting devide (e.g. a laptop)?
    Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by noreast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iPeck View Post

Hi iPeck,
    I tried both settings. Did not work. I need to put the phone in MTP setting. Also, when not in the MAss Storage mode, what is the mode of the USB connection?
    On another note, when you say 'disable the sd card for storage' do you mean that the phone cannot access the SD card for its own storage because the card is now used as mass storage for the connecting devide (e.g. a laptop)?
    Thanks..
    For your first question I think he means just connect the cable and that is that.

And for the card not being accessible you are right on the money that is exactly it.

Hi Random21
    Thanks for the explanation. I still do not know if using Nexus One as an MTP device is possible or not, and if it is, how to put it in that mode?
    I love the phone but if this does not work, I may switch to an iPhone 4 which works flawlessly with Ford's SYNC.
    Thanks..

Pardon my ignorance but is sync compatible with Bluetooth if so why not just sync via Bluetooth instead of usb?

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but is sync compatible with Bluetooth if so why not just sync via Bluetooth instead of usb?
    SYNC's Bluetooth audio streaming allows limited control (only previous/next track), and does not display track info.
    SYNC's MTP USB connection, on the other hand, allows display of, and playback control based on, metadata (track title, artist, album, genre, etc.), as well as voice command control based on track info (metadata categories mentioned above).

Correction ...
    Sync was able to scan the phone for music and retrieved all metadata when the phone was placed in mass storage mode.
    The question now is what adverse affect will this have on the phone. Recall that while driving I don't need to run other apps. Just music (via sync USB) and phone functionality (via sync Bluetooth )

If the media works on sync and you don't need the phone while driving there is no problem. The only thing having it in mass storage mode will do is that any app/function that needs the SD card will not be able to use it.

What about the microsoft sync account you can create ? (Accounts n sync menu)

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links