Maps app and battery consumption

This is a discussion on Maps app and battery consumption within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello guys, I've bought Nexus S 5 days ago and made couple of cycles of battery charging and i'm still very tense because of rapid ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maps app and battery consumption

Maps app and battery consumption

Hello guys,
    I've bought Nexus S 5 days ago and made couple of cycles of battery charging and i'm still very tense because of rapid consumption of the battery.
    For example, today I made a test: no calls and no Internet browsing, turned off wifi and 3g data and the battery discharged withing 10 hours.

Display consumes approx. 40-45% of the battery, which I think is ok.
    But Maps app consumes approx. 30-35 of the battery. Is it ok? What is your experience with that app?

In addition, I can't stop this app and I don't understand why it is running because wifi and mobile network data disabled?

Hope to hear your experience. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Have you tried force stopping the maps app.

yes, i tried. When I press Force stop the app is still About Phone -> Battery use.
    But the Force stop button is now unavailable to press

Ya in battery use it shows you what used your battery since you last charged it you see if it is running by going to running and checking if it is there.

There are sub-apps that runs on Maps that I just ran across called "Rate Places" & "Prefetch tiles" that may be the culprit. They are tied to the new 5.0 Maps. You can clear the cache and turn off the mobile prefetch.

Are you using Maps as a Live Wallpaper? That would consume the battery like you are describing also.

Guys thanks for your replies.

I'm not using live Wallpaper at all. I could find the Prefetch tiles and where can I turn off the mobile prefetch?

Thanks in advance

It's under Cache Settings when you're in Maps, clear the cache and uncheck the mobile tile selection and that should get you going.

I have similar issue. Battery is down to 10% after 7hours 46mins, being idle 99% of the time (i've received a couple of emails and sms messages but that's it).

Maps has used 48% of the battery (OS 33%, system 7%, call standby 6%, display 5%). But the thing is, i haven't even started maps since i turned the phone on.

Am trying to narrow down exactly what's causing the problem, so any info/help much appreciated. thanks

p.s. am using andoid 2.3.1 and maps 5.0

Battery drain, is it Maps 5?

I'm also experiencing the same problem on my Nexus S, battery lasts just about enough to get me to the evening and when I go and check the stats I can see that Maps has drained 60% of the battery while screen just about 20%.
    I have the latitude app running but have turned off the maps caching.

I use to have the Nexus One with previous version of Maps, the battery lasted longer, and maps wasn't even in the list of apps.

My father's HTC Desire has Maps 5 and the battery used by it was up to 79% during the day.

Could it be a bug of this new version?

Battery and maps update

I had the S and downloaded and installed the update (2.3.1) and my battery life started to diminish. I got a new S and my battery life is wonderful but I have not done the update yet. Anyone else have experience with the update draining the battery? I'm considering passing on the update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads