My WiFi connection gets disabled

This is a discussion on My WiFi connection gets disabled within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello I just got the Nexus One last week and am discovering some peculear behavior with WiFi. I connect to my home wireless network but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My WiFi connection gets disabled

My WiFi connection gets disabled

Hello
    I just got the Nexus One last week and am discovering some peculear behavior with WiFi. I connect to my home wireless network but if I go to a corner of the house that has a weak signal, the phone switches to 3G (as expected) But when I return back to a spot where the signal is stong, the phone does not automatically switch back to WiFi.
    I go the WiFi settings and find that it lists my home network as 'disabled' and I have to manually 'connect' again.
    Why is it disabled? I did nto disable it. I merely stepped out of range.
    I have an iPhone 3G that seamlessly switches between 3G and WiFi without my intervention. It does so to all my prefered networks (at home, at work, at my parent's home, etc.)
    Is there a setting that I can turn on my Nexus to automatically connect to a specified network when it is in range? how can I pervent the phone from 'disabling' my home network when I step out of range?
    Thanks for you help..

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The silence is deafening! Not a single reply? Given to helpful nature of folks that participate in this forum I assume this lack of replies is due to lack of solutions to offer.
    Any way, Nexus One's flaky WiFi performance was too annoying for me to keep using the device, this, in addition to weak coverage on Videotron's Part made me return the Nexus One and order an iPhone 4 from Fido (with Fido, the signal is so strong that I did not wory about getting into elevators or going to underground parking, the phone just kept talking).

A true shame. I really liked the device (elegant but not pretentious, great screen) and especially like Android's approach to multitasking

On the down side, Wifi was flaky (as reported). Maybe a new generation of devices or a tweak to Android's WiFi drivers will correct this problems, until then, I will be using an iPhone 4.

A milder criticism goes to the ringer volume, which even on its loudest setting is too timid to grab my attention when walking on a downtown street. Several missed calls later I turned vibration on, which turned out to be so mild that it often went unnoticed with all the winter clothing we have to wear in this neck of the woods.

Well I don't think the lack of replies is due to the lack of solutions more to a lack of knowledge because I have seen many issues with this phone on this forum which is normal every phone has a few lemons and some issues that have solutions but have never seen this one so I have really no idea what you could have tried to do to fix it and believe me on this forum if there is no way to solve it someone would tell you. This there is not no way to fix it we just don't know how but since you brought the phone back well I guess it's to late now.

I tried all the variations under WiFi settings all behaved the same. the problem is that when a WiFi connection is lost (either when the phone turns off the screen to save energy or when it is physically removed from the signal's range) then the phone marks my home Network as 'disabled' (as when you view available networks, it shows it in the list and under its name you see "disabled, secured with..", also WiFi state is disabled.
    I have to manually select my home network and connect to it to regain WiFi connectivity.
    Occasionally, the phone restores the connection automatically as expected but these cases were the exception rather than the norm.
    I liked the phone and would be interested to see if there is a solution to this problem. I may give the iPhone to my kid and get another Nexus when the problem is resolved.

P.S. I also forgot to mention that I occasionally had the touch screen problem (you touch one one key on the keyboard but a different one gets pressed). Typically locking and unlocking the screen would resolve it and it was a minor annoyance that I could very easily overlook.

The Phone does not have an Automatic connection setting, when your phone switches to 3G it disables the connection and if you have an app running in the background that needs data it will stay on the 3G until it is done. what i have found (running MIUI ROM) is that if i go out of range and loose connection, returning to the high signal area and locking/unlocking the phone will cause it to page connections again and re establish the wireless connection. There are also apps in the market that are normally used for power consumption monitoring and power saving but allow you to choose a preferred connection and what to do in the chance of such. I also remember that the N1 had a sleeping wireless problem but i cannot remember if that was fixed but it would also add to your problem.
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

I understand this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it could help some of you...

This software is designed to check for a wifi connection every few minutes and will help save battery power. It is highly customizable too.

I personally use this software...

Auto WiFi Toggle - Android app on AppBrain

Well to solve the WI-FI sleep issue that nobby was talking about, it was fixed in frg83 but since you got the phone from Videotron it is a ROM that is based off of frf91 to solve this you need to use the passimg method here is a thread about how to do it http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/v...eaked-rom.html

Not to be a jerk but you posted in a nexus s forum

Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
    Not to be a jerk but you posted in a nexus s forum
    No worries you were not being a jerk I would like to thank you for pointing this out because I didn't even realise.

Cheers and happy new year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links