Nexus S "Back" Button Not Responsive

This is a discussion on Nexus S "Back" Button Not Responsive within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've also noticed this issue, in my case this happens as I touch the back button as slightly as the other three instead of using ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nexus S "Back" Button Not Responsive

I've also noticed this issue, in my case this happens as I touch the back button as slightly as the other three instead of using a bit more finger surface.
    This might me due to the fact that the black part at the left side of the buttons is unresponsive and you have to directly press onto the back arrow to make it work as wanted.

Same here. Sure hope this can be software resolved as returning is a complicated option for me.

Had my Nexus S since the 22nd and been using it heavily and I've not noticed a problem with the back key myself but I'll keep an eye out for it.

I also am experiencing the same problem. I called Samsung and the customer service rep said it could be the shield it put on the glass. I highly doubt that. I hope they fix this it is really annoying. If its a software issue wouldn't everyone be experiencing the same problem?

I get this

Until today, I jut thought a lot of menus didn't support the back key!
    Today I realised that the key stops responding altogether sometimes; it just went off for 20 minutes there, and came back just as I went to try turning it off. My wife got the same phone as me, and doesn't get this issue. Twice, the back key has faded away briefly. Any insight would be much appreciated! Common hardware fault, perhaps?

Update: it seems that if I press *very* hard, the back key is working consistently for now. No idea how long it'll keep that up for, though.

Great Topic!

Ok here's my story:

First Nexus S was returned because the phone was clicking randomly on whatever. It was actually kinda creepy hehe

Second Nexus S is great except for this minor screen issue that you similarly have here...

This problem is most-noticeable when playing Angry Birds, funny enough. When pulling back on the slingshot, sometimes the bottom edge (left long side) of the screen doesn't register the touch so well, and can be aggravating when trying to kill pigs from a long distance :P true

The "back-button problem" seems to only happen when I click in the very corner of the phone. At first I thought there was something wrong with it, but I checked myself a few times lately and must admit my guilt, of not actually clicking the back button. It seems my thumb gets close, but just barely misses the back button sometimes, and I end up blaming the phone instead. That's probably not the same problem you have, but still a problem

Good to hear it's working again for ya though, hopefully forever!

Perhaps this is coincidence but when my back button becomes unresponsive placing it where it can cool off seems to help. This would suggest that this is a hardware issue and I should return the phone. Boo. I actually am enjoying it otherwise.

According to Samsung support, the "back" button is not supposed to be as responsive as the other buttons.

Below is a chat log of my conversation with the support person (names have been changed). I'm not sure what to think about this...

[Begin Chat Log]

Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
    Chat Information You are now chatting with 'SamsungSupport'

pacnwdude: Hi SamsungSupport, I didn't select the correct phone as I have the "Google" Nexus S
    pacnwdude: I found its model number as GT-i9020, I believe, but it wasn't in the list.
    SamsungSupport: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
    SamsungSupport: Okay, however please go ahead with your query.
    pacnwdude: The "back" button on my Nexus S is not as responsive as the 3 other buttons on the bottom of the phone.
    pacnwdude: This is my second phone, I returned the first one and the second one is worse than the first one was.
    SamsungSupport: I certainly understand your concern. However, let me see what best I can do to assist you.
    pacnwdude: If I barely put my finger over the other buttons (the "list", "search", and "home" buttons) they will go off, but I really have to tap the "back" button to get it to go. And I've been very gentle with this phone, it was this way from the start.
    SamsungSupport: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
    SamsungSupport: Yes, I see that this is the design of this model. Rest assured this is not at all an issue with the phone.
    pacnwdude: No problem.
    SamsungSupport: Thanks.
    pacnwdude: Ok, so it is supposed to be that way then.
    SamsungSupport: Yes, you are right.
    pacnwdude: Ok, Thanks for you help
    SamsungSupport: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    pacnwdude: Nope

[End Chat Log]

I am on my 3rd one now. This one is much more responsive than my first and second one. Take it back till you get one that works. All 4 keys are supposed to work the same. I will tell you this. When I got the 3rd phone I did not do the latest update. Im not 100% sure but that might have something to do with it. If it does then its a software problem and your just going to have to wait for the next update.

hi all,

have you noticed if the 'back' button's backlight is lit or not when it's not responsive?

i found it actually dimmed out whenever i get this 'not responsive' issue. it's not repeatable but sometimes in the middle of something, maybe even i'm on the android market, i wanna back out but the button's (only the back button, the other 3 are well lit) dimmed out and not usable. i had to wait for a few seconds and then the backlight of the 'back' button would lit again and then i can use it.

so, my own conclusion is that it's definitely a software issue. somehow gingerbread thinks the 'back' button should be disabled so it doesn't let us use it.
    (sometimes i go 2 or 3 days without seeing this problem, but sometimes i get a couple times like this in a single day; very random)

when it lets me to use it, it lits the backlight and i don't have any responsiveness issue at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links