Buying the Nexus S as European customer in the USA

This is a discussion on Buying the Nexus S as European customer in the USA within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello, Fist of all I want to wish you all a Happy New Year. Now for my question: I live in the Netherlands and would ...

Thread: Buying the Nexus S as European customer in the USA

Buying the Nexus S as European customer in the USA

Hello,

Fist of all I want to wish you all a Happy New Year.

Now for my question:
    I live in the Netherlands and would like to buy my Nexus S in the US simply cause it is simlock free and because of the super amoled display. We in the EU only get the LCD version and the phone is going to cost around 35 euro a month for 2 years. The last thing normally wouldn't be a problem but I might move to Germany in the next 8 months so that will be a problem

Is it possible to buy it once Im in the US next February and use a Dutch or German sim in it. Also I might want to use the wifi function and 3g so I would like to know if either of them will not function.

Are there other problems that can occur and how is it with the warranty? Is this world wide? And how will this work with repairing etc

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yes you can buy it in the US and use it worldwide, the only think you need to look out for is the frequency bands, if the carrier uses a frequency that is not supported on the nexus S it will not work. As for WI-FI and 3G WI-FI it will work as long as a WI-FI network is available, 3G is will work if you have a 3G plan and once again the frequencies are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    Yes you can buy it in the US and use it worldwide, the only think you need to look out for is the frequency bands, if the carrier uses a frequency that is not supported on the nexus S it will not work. As for WI-FI and 3G WI-FI it will work as long as a WI-FI network is available, 3G is will work if you have a 3G plan and once again the frequencies are correct.
    Thanks! And what about the warranty?

There won't be any problem bringing the Nexus S back to the Netherlands. I just got back from a holiday in Florida and bought the Nexus S when it was released. I'm now using it with my old sim-card from KPN telecom (ben zelf ook Nederlands). The only problem is that the phone hasn't got dutch language support so no dutch dictionary. 3G and WIFI work like a charm.

Is KPN using the 2100 MHz band?

3G use in Germany

Hi All,
    Interesting information here. I spend a LOT of time in Germany and have a UMTS card from O2 there - so I'm pretty much in the same boat as robertjan.

A Google search spits out these frequencies for O2 Germany:
    1.959,9 - 1.969,8 Uplink O2
    2.149,9 - 2.159,8 Downlink O2

And Best Buy shows under tech specs:
    EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900MHz|HSUPA 5.76/7.2 900/1700/2100MHz
    (Edit: http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html puts all German AND Dutch 3G networks at 2100, which is a number I can at least find in the tech specs. If epmolenaar's Nexus S does 3D in Holland, mine should in Germany as well. Right?)

Usually, I consider myself pretty tech-savvy. But it turns out I'm to dumb to interpret whether the Nexus S will do 3G on the German O2 network. It looks that way to me (EDGE-speed upload speed, makes sense? HSUPA download? =3G?). Anyone here care to venture a guess?

Samsung tech support (number from google.com/nexus) says, "No problem! That will work!". Best Buy support chat says, "No way! Only 2G support on any network except T-Mobile!".
    Who to believe....?

Since Best Buy is not a global company with knowledgeable employees and Samsung is, I would go with Samsung said.

In EU 2100MHz band is widely used. In US T-Mobile uses 1700MHz band. A BB salesperson would think that the phone would not work on any other network but T-Mobile's network.
    3G I mean.

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100

as a phone it should work anywhere in the world on any GSM network.
    For Data look at the 3G HSDPA band for details.

Here's what Germany uses
    Germany 900 1800 3G 2100

GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

Thanks!
    Right, so basically in almost all of Europe (including Germany), 3G runs on 2100 mHz. The Nexus S does 2100 mHz, so there we go. Order now on Best Buy.
    Appreciate the help!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links