I'm new to Smartphones and Android, questions on using BB Nexus S in Germany

This is a discussion on I'm new to Smartphones and Android, questions on using BB Nexus S in Germany within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi everyone I just found out about the Nexus S, I'm on vacation in the USA, and it sounds great! I think i might buy ...

Thread: I'm new to Smartphones and Android, questions on using BB Nexus S in Germany

I'm new to Smartphones and Android, questions on using BB Nexus S in Germany

Hi everyone

I just found out about the Nexus S, I'm on vacation in the USA, and it sounds great!

I think i might buy it, there are just some questions i have before i can make that decision, i hope u can help me, that would be appreciated very much

Here are my questions (sorry, I really don't know anything about these issues, I'm a noob :D):

1. I have already found out that i can change the system's language to "german". However, i don't know if this also affects the virtual onscreen keyboard, which by default is a qwerty of course. Is it possible to change it to a german qwertz keyboard, with special letters like the german ""? Maybe this is already accomplished by changing the system's language to german, i don't know. Does it have a german dictionary?

2. Along the same line as the first, i've noticed that the Apps preinstalled on the phone retain their english names when language is changed. Will these apps remain english (not a big deal to me)? And furthermore, will they by any chance be limited to US-specific uses, for example a google maps utility not working in germany, or anything else that might work differently or not at all in germany (bigger deal to me). Will there be any such problem with downloaded apps?

3. Will i only have access to a US app store, or will it be possible to access a german app store? Or is there only ONE app store, and it detects my region? Like there are many germany-specific apps advertised on TV, will I be able to download them with a US Nexus S?

4. Will i be able to use the voice command functions of the phone? If yes, will i have to make that commands in english, or can i teach the phone german commands?

5. Will there be any other language- or region related issues when using the US version of this cellphone in germany that i haven't thought of?

6. Is it possible to flash a german firmware on the phone? If possible, i would have to wait for the phone to be released in germany right? Would this be easy or very "techy"? Maybe even "illegal"? Could i break the phone if i do it wrong?

7. How about warranty issues? Will i be able to ship the phone in from germany if i have any issues during the warranty period?

8. Will i be able to return it if i have any major issues by shipping it to bestbuy from germany?

9. Would it be possible for bestbuy to ship the phone to a german adress when i bought it? That would save me some customs trouble when returning to germany (no big deal if not possible).

10. The german version will not have the Super AMOLED display or what it's called and cost alot more right?

I hope u can help me with those questions, so i can decide wether to buy the Nexus S or not, I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before or some are stupid.

Thanks in advance!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Ok well first off I would like to welcome you to our forum

Now for your questions

1. Well the keyboard you will have to change separately but I believe if the language is in the OS language selection then it is also available in the keyboard. Dictionary I believe is part of the keyboard.

2. I'm pretty sure they will remain English unless they have multi language support. No these will have access same as if the phone was available in Germany and you bought it there it will depend on the app thought if you have an app that only works for the US then no but it will depend on the dev but Google maps will work in Germany.

3. Ya it's one universal app store AFAIK.

4. I have no idea but you should be able to do it with English but I don't know for German.

5. Well the frequencies have to be correct on your carrier to match the phone but this should work because most European carriers are 2100MHz.

6. well here you are going into what is called rooting. Do you need to be very techy meh a little but if you keep on the forum especially the development and hacking section and you will catch on to what everybody is talking about? Illegal far from it just fun :D I say this because I love custom ROMs. The thing is that for a German ROM once again you will have to see if the devs make it with German language support.

7. Not sure but if it is like the nexus one then if you can get it to a Samsung repair shop your good (well for us it was htc but you get the point).

8. Uh... you got me there I have no idea I don't think anybody has ever tried that but I see no issue as long as you can get it to them.

9. No not really you will have to buy it in the US and bring it back with you.

10. I don't know.

I think that answers all your questions. And don't worry there are no stupid questions. Just people that are less informed than others and that need some extra info and other people that are here to give it to them.

Thanks for helping me out

I think I'll get it on Wednesday

No problem man

Good for you glad I could help you decide.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links