Apps starting in the background when background downloading disabled

This is a discussion on Apps starting in the background when background downloading disabled within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; I downloaded the Sky and BBC news apps, disabled all the options for downloaded data in the background as I don't want them affecting the ...

Thread: Apps starting in the background when background downloading disabled

Apps starting in the background when background downloading disabled

I downloaded the Sky and BBC news apps, disabled all the options for downloaded data in the background as I don't want them affecting the phones performance, yet they will start up in the background and run continuously.

What are these apps doing? They're not pre-fetching news data, but they're doing something. I've noticed a few apps doing this once I've disabled all the tasks in the background within the program and this worrys me... Is this why Google and Apple recently got a slap on the wrists about apps collecting data they're not meant to?

I downloaded Android Task Manager as you can put these apps in a kill list and it'll close them when ever they open without your input, but it's still annoying that these apps are doing things without my permission. I know you agree what these apps will have access to when you install them and everyone says "it's fine you can install" but I don't feel these apps are being nearly clear enough about what they're actually doing in the background.

Are there any other apps you could recommend that prevent apps starting up without your permission? Android Task Manager is ok, but you can't put everything in the kill list so some apps still start up without your permission.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You have alot to learn about android.
    Don't use task killers they are bad.

I just let the phone go as it would. I uses task managers in the past, but it gave me more probs to handle...

sent from my Nexus One via Tapatalk (probably in my bus)

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    You have alot to learn about android.
    Don't use task killers they are bad.
    I don't use the task Manager to tinker with android or stop it doing things it's supposed to, I just use it to close apps which shouldn't be starting in the first place without my permission.

It's not like Android is opening Sky & BBC News because it needs to use them... They're opening themselves and god knows what they're doing.

I believe there should be an option to not allow apps that you download to run in the background without your permission. Google and Apple have already gotten into trouble over apps collecting data that they're not supposed to without your permission and with apps behaving like this I can see why. What possible reason could they have for opening in the background if they're not downloading news (all the options are disabled)? Unless they're collecting data on your activity's which is just plain wrong.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links