One Nexus S with one Cdn AND one US svc provider?

This is a discussion on One Nexus S with one Cdn AND one US svc provider? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi - newbie with newbie question: I live in Ontario in an area with 2 or 3 service providers supporting GSM 1700-2100 .At least one ...

Thread: One Nexus S with one Cdn AND one US svc provider?

One Nexus S with one Cdn AND one US svc provider?

Hi - newbie with newbie question: I live in Ontario in an area with 2 or 3 service providers supporting GSM 1700-2100 .At least one of those service providers is on record as being compatilble with the Nexus 1 and "most" unlocked GSM 1700-2100 phone .

I sometimes travel to a TMobile coverage area in the US for family visits.

since the S is not yet available in Cda, can I order a Best Buy Nexus S and get it set up on TMobile for PAY AS YOU GO (since I'm inUS infrequently) then take the phone to Ontario, take out the SIM card and buy a new one from the service provider there and have them install (which I would use on their regular phone/data plan).

Can I then swap the SIMs back and forth when I travel between Cda & US?

Are there any risks to using an "unlocked" phone?

I think I have heard of this before but don't know for sure it's possible or what pitfalls might await me.

I AM nearly certain that the phone would be compatible with both of those 2 different networks.

Any advice welcome,
    Sharvo

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I can't answer with any real certainty, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do what you suggest. I mean, I swapped my sim out of my iDon't into my Nexus 1 without any repercussions. Your phone will just 'disappear' from one network for awhile, that's all.

Was your swap a one-time switch, or do you swap back and forth?

Would there be some other settings on the phone that the service providers would normally be altering when they "set it up" that I should be changing when I move from one SIM to the other? Or is the phone getting everything it needs from the SIM?

I'm just afraid of getting a phone with h/w s/w problems and not getting warranty support once I'm back in Canada ... otherwise it seems so simple ...

Sharvo

It was a one-time deal, but then the friend I sold the iPhone to just put his sim in it and it worked. Swapping SIMs can't do any harm to a device.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links