Best Unlimited Talk, Text, Data Plan?

This is a discussion on Best Unlimited Talk, Text, Data Plan? within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi all. New to the forum; apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this question. Me and my Nexus S are in Delray ...

Thread: Best Unlimited Talk, Text, Data Plan?

Question Best Unlimited Talk, Text, Data Plan?

Hi all. New to the forum; apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

Me and my Nexus S are in Delray Beach, Florida for the next couple of months (avoiding the snow in Toronto; I guess that makes me a snowbird). I have an unlimited talk, text and data plan in Toronto from Wind Mobile for $40/mth; but they have a tiny footprint, and everywhere else is roaming.

I found a pretty good plan with Boost Mobile ($50/mth plus $5 for International (I need unlimited Canada calling)), but it looks like they only work with iDen and CDMA phones. Can anybody confirm this? I can't seem to find a way to talk to a human on their phone system. Alternatively, what sort of plan would you recommend?

Thanks for your help,
    - AAA

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Unhappy

So it looks like Virgin could handle a Nexus S, but they only hook up their own phones.

Sprint only handles CDMA.

Anyone have suggestions? This is using up an awful lot of time just to find a service provider. You'd think there'd be a site which allows you to find the providers who would support your handset...

Your only options in the US are T-mobile and AT&T. With Tmo, you will have HSPA and with AT&T you will have Edge for internet.

Virgin uses Sprints CDMA network in the US.

Jason

Thx Jason, much appreciated.

Found a wonderful list of service providers which you can sort by technology on Wikipedia:
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_serv ice_providers]List of United States wireless communications service providers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Would have saved me a bunch of time if I'd started with that.

Then, once you've got the right set of providers, you have to filter based on location and price.

I'm telling you: there's a great website in this.

Anyhow, I think I've settled on T-Mobile. Thanks again for your help.

So which of T-Mobiles plans are you going with? You can also try SimpleMobile [.com], which runs on the T-mobile network. unlimited web, text and talk is $60, but you pay $0.02/min for Canadian calling. Or you can use Google Voice for FREE to Canada.

https://www.google.com/voice/rates#C

Hi Skeptic. Thx for the inquiry. I got the $30, 1500 minutes/text and 30MB data plan. I figurte I don't need a whole lot of service. But the 30MB is awfully restrictive, and makes me nervous about using the data services on my phone.

Thx for telling me about SimpleMobile (OMG! Simple Mobile). For $60 you get unlimited nationwide calling, global SMS, and unlimited data. I like it much.

Their International Long Distance package sucks lemons, though. You have to dial a number before calling your long distance number. Poo!

Maybe I'll switch to Simple when I'm done with this month on T-Mobile. Are there any other GSM resellers?

Thanks again!
    - AAA

LOL. I am also on the $30 T-mobile plan with only 30 MB of data. I burned thru 6 MB of that running only 2 speed tests! I got this plan because I was trying to cut down on costs and I mostly use WIFI, nevertheless, 30 MB is not much. I can burn that listening to Pandora in less than an hour! If you run out of the 30 MB of data, you have an option to purchase the day pass (24 straight hours) for $1.49. The day pass is unlimited, but your speed is throttled down when you reach 30 MB. With all that said, you still can't beat Simple Mobile's plan.

I was intrigued by the Google Voice offering, and just went to check it out and sign up. But I was stymied: No matter what I entered in the Choose Your Number dialog, it wouldn't give me a Google number. I tested with 416 (Toronto), 561 (Delray Beach), 33445 (Delray) and others. No go.

Anyone else have any success there?

did you try choosing a random number? Do you have to have a Delray/Toronto number? I have a California number..... 424

So, I just looked at SimpleMobile's plans and such. In their FAQ they state they don't support tethering your phone as a modem. What about turning your phone into a local hotspot, the way you can with Android 2.2 (I believe)?

As an aside, when I called SimpleMobile for clarification, it took close to 30 minutes to get someone to answer, and she was sullen and didn't know about the hotspot thing. She went to ask, and when she came back, it was no you can't tether. Yeah, thx, I knew that.

But, really, how would they know you're using *your* phone as a hotspot?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links