Maintaining a Rooted Nexus S

This is a discussion on Maintaining a Rooted Nexus S within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; I rooted the my Nexus S when I first got it mostly so I could replace all of the /System/Media files with my own. Then ...

Thread: Maintaining a Rooted Nexus S

Maintaining a Rooted Nexus S

I rooted the my Nexus S when I first got it mostly so I could replace all of the /System/Media files with my own. Then I took the chance of installing the pushed update about a month ago and utilities like Root-Explorer can no longer get root level access.

I am not a big expert . . It took me several hours to get the phone rooted the first time but now I am wondering if owners of rooted phones have to install updated root images to keep up with major updates or upgrades.

Can I just leave the phone as is and not have problems with future pushed updates, or do I need to do something to accept future updates and upgrades from Google without risking a dead phone?

I don't really need root anymore, but would like to be able to accept future upgrades and keep my own /system/media files.

Where to from here . Do nothing or install a new rooted image ? Are new rooted images available following each update from Google ?

I hope my questions make sense . . I am used to disk imaging windows servers and don't know if an "image" of a phone is a similar thing.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by swbca View Post
    I rooted the my Nexus S when I first got it mostly so I could replace all of the /System/Media files with my own. Then I took the chance of installing the pushed update about a month ago and utilities like Root-Explorer can no longer get root level access.

I am not a big expert . . It took me several hours to get the phone rooted the first time but now I am wondering if owners of rooted phones have to install updated root images to keep up with major updates or upgrades.

Can I just leave the phone as is and not have problems with future pushed updates, or do I need to do something to accept future updates and upgrades from Google without risking a dead phone?

I don't really need root anymore, but would like to be able to accept future upgrades and keep my own /system/media files.

Where to from here . Do nothing or install a new rooted image ? Are new rooted images available following each update from Google ?

I hope my questions make sense . . I am used to disk imaging windows servers and don't know if an "image" of a phone is a similar thing.
    Root does not have to do anything with official updates. If you've rooted it, you will get them anyway, however if you apply them you will lose your root (which apparently has happened to you). So, as you may have noticed from your own experience, root didn't prevent you from getting the OTA and it won't if you decide to root again.

The only case you may stop getting the OTAs is if you install a custom ROM.

How to keep an rooted Nexus S current with updates

OK, lets say google distributes a major update for the Nexus S. How to I end up with the update and maintain root ?

Quote Originally Posted by swbca View Post
    OK, lets say google distributes a major update for the Nexus S. How to I end up with the update and maintain root ?
    Simlpe, you just flash SU image from your recovery once again after you got the update. I don't think you need a specific SU image for each particular update. Unless google somehow fixes the vulnerability the SU image has used to root the phone. But on my memory this happened only once with "super simple 1-click root"

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links