Nexus S GPS antenna

This is a discussion on Nexus S GPS antenna within the Nexus S forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi, being a recently new Nexus S owner (AT&T 3G version) and former Nexus One user (I still own it) I found something that has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus S GPS antenna

Exclamation Nexus S GPS antenna

Hi, being a recently new Nexus S owner (AT&T 3G version) and former Nexus One user (I still own it) I found something that has been annoying me a lot. That damn GPS problem on the NS. Those same problems were seen on the Galaxy S i think and some claim the NS fixed them but I'm not so sure about it. So I come to you all, Nexus S & NexusOneForum users to help me out confirm deny or troubleshoot the problem.
    So here's the story. I got my NS on thrusday. Today I tried to use the Navigation feature and found out that the damn thing NEVER got the GPS location right, it couldn't even lock on the satellites apparently. So I came home and started troubleshooting the issue. I noticed that on 3G, the GPS never fixes the location but on WiFi it immediately does. My location settings are set to use both Network and GPS satellites so I know that is not the issue.
    So I tried Google Maps with WiFi and BAM! my location was found and accurate within seconds. Then I tried Google Maps with 3G and nothing! It kept jumping from location to location trying to get a fix on my real current location. Hmmm, so I said, I'll change the Location and Security settings to use only GPS and disabled "Use wireless networks" and tried again. With the GPS turned on I tried Google Maps again and this time it said that my location was not available. So apparently it never was able to communicate get the data from the GPS satellites around me.
    So I tried running a test on both the Nexus S and my Nexus One, same settings, same WiFi (no 3G since they both worked on Wifi) with the GPS Test app (https://market.android.com/details?i...tcross.gpstest) from the market and saw amazing discrepancies, take a look at the pictures below

GPS Test on NS:

GPS Test on N1:

Compass App vs real compass on NS:

Compass App vs real compass on N1:

Does this happen to you, Nexus S owner as well? Can you run some tests on your device and let us know?

Do you think my NS is a faulty unit and I should get it replaced? Please let me know.

PS. Where in the NS body is the GPS antenna located?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I have the exact same problem, and unfortunately I haven't come to a good solution. I also have the AT&T Nexus S phone. Seems like when I cleared my map cache data, it worked a little better.

same

I have the I9020 Nexus S on AT&T and I'm not able to get a lock on any satellites either. Any new info?

Hi. Yes, I've been participating in an ongoing conversation about the issue on Google's Help Forum.

GPS Navigation problems after Gingerbread update - Google Mobile Help

Some Google employyes reponded back to us and said they are working on the issue. Apparently it was an software issue with GB 2.3.3

Howdy.

I'm just here to report that after the recent 2.3.4 update my nexus s has been locking on the gps very quickly. I've tested it enough to say that the issue is fixed.

Thanks google.

How do you get the 2.3.4 update on this device?

Quote Originally Posted by jx2150 View Post
    How do you get the 2.3.4 update on this device?
    you can wait for google to send it to your phone or you can manually update. It depends on your build.

[GUIDE] 2.3.4 OTA - Variants and their links - xda-developers

Wondering if I have this same issue...

I turn on the GPS, go to navigate, and then it says "Searching for GPS" and it pretty much hangs there. It sometimes establishes the connection, but usually not.

Is this what you guys are experiencing?

Quote Originally Posted by damien8 View Post
    Wondering if I have this same issue...

I turn on the GPS, go to navigate, and then it says "Searching for GPS" and it pretty much hangs there. It sometimes establishes the connection, but usually not.

Is this what you guys are experiencing?
    yep, was the same issue for me on any GPS app until 2.3.4.

Anyone know if the stable or cyanogen nightlies are running 2.3.4 for the i9020A ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links